Rate this topic

My six year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Celiac. She is also Type 1 diabetic. I am planning on having the whole family go gluten free. Was wondering if I should gradually take gluten out or just go ahead and completely take it out all at once? I'm not too sure on how to go about all of this. Just needing some support and advise. Thanks in advance.

Don't panic. Plan a transition over the next week or so. Take some time to investigate gluten-free options. At the beginning, a few days won't make a difference in the long term. But once you do make the switch, be firm about it. Don't reintroduce any gluten--it is a one-way street.

Welcome! I can assure you that I know how your feel....a bit overwhelmed. B)

Take time to learn every thing you can about a gluten free diet in the next week or two. Read everything you can.

My advise is to start simple and slowly expand when you learn what's comfortable. Start fresh with meats, fish, eggs, veggies, potatoes and rice and fresh fruit. Go easy on the processed gluten free products. Wait a few, or four weeks until you can learn the quality ones that are closest to taste remembered. It also gives your daughter's body time to heal and be relieved from chemicals and "stuff" in processed foods.

There is super information on this thread that you posed on. Take some time and look around.

And, again, welcome. We have lots of moms here. :D

• Upvote 1

When we did it, we went 100% gluten-free over night. DH and I cleaned out the cabinets AFTER I had went and gotten some gluten-free goodies to re-stock everything with.

Thanks so much for the advice and support. I am sure I will have more questions along the way as this is all so new to me. It's nice to know I am not alone in this!

You may want to get everyone tested PRIOR to making everyone gluten-free. It is very hard to go back on gluten to test others. I would suggest getting that done prior to cutting it for everyone.