hopefulinmybody

Frequent Canker Sores Anyone?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I've been gluten-free 15 months and I'm very strict. For the last couple of months I've been getting frequent canker sores that are accompanied by a cold/tired feeling/muscle aches that last 2-3 days. It's frustrating because it's been happening weekly.

I found one post on this topic on the forums and got the tip of getting another toothpaste (sodium laurel sulfate free). I will avoid acidic foods now (maybe it's because strawberries are in season?). But I'm also getting colds. Some posts online suggest that canker sores are a sign of hidden gluten but it is hard to imagine where the hidden gluten could be. Does anyone have any advice or wisdom to share about celiacs who are already gluten-free getting frequent canker sores? I would be most grateful, hoping to stop this soon.

Much love and blessings. Thanks for all the support on this wonderful forum. So grateful for it.

Hi all,

I've been gluten-free 15 months and I'm very strict. For the last couple of months I've been getting frequent canker sores that are accompanied by a cold/tired feeling/muscle aches that last 2-3 days. It's frustrating because it's been happening weekly.

I found one post on this topic on the forums and got the tip of getting another toothpaste (sodium laurel sulfate free). I will avoid acidic foods now (maybe it's because strawberries are in season?). But I'm also getting colds. Some posts online suggest that canker sores are a sign of hidden gluten but it is hard to imagine where the hidden gluten could be. Does anyone have any advice or wisdom to share about celiacs who are already gluten-free getting frequent canker sores? I would be most grateful, hoping to stop this soon.

Much love and blessings. Thanks for all the support on this wonderful forum. So grateful for it.

Interesting...I was just complaining about a canker sore that started yesterday, along with aching joints and fatigue that knocked me over. I've traced it to being cc'd from corn. I'm one of those that had to eliminate corn in conjunction with wheat/barley/rye/oats in order to start feeling even better.

Good luck

Wow, so you think you got these symptoms from just being cross-contaminated with corn as opposed to eating it?

I have also cut out all grains including corn, dairy, eggs, and chocolate based on the results of food inolerance testing. But I never think that cross-contamination from those things will cause symptoms in the way that gluten cross-contamination will. What you are describing sound like my symptoms too--knocked over and it keeps happening weekly so really want to get to the bottom of it.

Good luck and health and love to you too.

Interesting...I was just complaining about a canker sore that started yesterday, along with aching joints and fatigue that knocked me over. I've traced it to being cc'd from corn. I'm one of those that had to eliminate corn in conjunction with wheat/barley/rye/oats in order to start feeling even better.

Good luck

I've traced it to being cc'd from corn. I'm one of those that had to eliminate corn in conjunction with wheat/barley/rye/oats in order to start feeling even better.

Good luck

I am just wondering: Are you saying the corn you ate was cross-contaminated by gluten?

I had canker sores when I was very ill (before DX) and the only time I get one is if I am glutened.

There could be other reasons for canker sores.

from web MD

" What Causes Canker Sores?

The exact cause of most canker sores is unknown. Stress or tissue injury is thought to be the cause of simple canker sores. Certain foods -- including citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, and strawberries) -- can trigger a canker sore or make the problem worse. Sometimes a sharp tooth surface or dental appliance, such as braces or ill-fitting dentures, might also trigger canker sores.

Some cases of complex canker sores are caused by an underlying health condition, such as an impaired immune system; nutritional problems, such as vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid, or iron deficiency; and gastrointestinal tract disease, such as Celiac disease and Crohn's disease."

Have you had your vitamin levels checked recently?

Just some thoughts!