This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

B12/iron Deficiency & Acne !

Evonneda

Evonneda Newbie

Good evening

I am off to the doc's on Friday for my 3 monthly B12 injection. I do feel like I need this injection more often and would be interested to hear how often other folks with celiac disease get this jag, if at all. Also, I have been told to take iron supplements (for about 15 years now,although only diagnosed for 3yrs) and blood tests don't show a huge improvement in my iron levels. Does anyone get iron injections which work better than trying to absorb iron tablets.

Has anyone suffered from really bad skin and if so how did the fix it ??!! I feel so run down I think my skin is suffering because of this, which is making me feel even worse within myself. Really sticking to my diet so hopefully over time this will improve but am impatient ! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluelotus Contributor

My skin got very bad for a while (as did my other symptoms) right before I was diagnosed. Prior to seeing a doctor, I began using Proactiv, and, though it may seem cheesy, it really helped, though it took a few months (and ruined some sheets and towels b/c of the peroxide in it). About 5 months after going on Proactiv, I was diagnosed with celiac disease. My skin improved further after going gluten-free, though I have had little break outs that seem to be associated with being glutened. Also, (by your name, I am assuming you are female), you may want to consider going on birth control pills. Yasmin has done wonders for some. Also, you may want to consider other allergens, I think they contributed to my skin problems as well.

aikiducky Apprentice

Eating a lot of soy will give me terrible acne. If you're using soy milk or eating a lot of tofu and stuff, it could be an idea to leave that out for a while and see what happens.

Pauliina

bluelotus Contributor

Forgot to mention that dairy seems to be a frequent culprit of skin problems as well. I think there was even a short article about this on MSNBC's website about 6 months ago.

julie5914 Contributor

Interesting about the dairy. I have had skin problems creep up within the past year too. Cystic acne, which I have never had before. I also use ProActiv, and it does help. I have tried a bunch of the cheaper brands, and this is really the only one that helps. Are you sure your iron is low, or is it ferritin? I was always told my iron was low and started taking iron pills. It did raise my blood cell count, but I recently ordered some tests on my own that showed my iron is now way high, my RBC very healthy, but I was low on ferritin. Low ferritin is also related to thyroid problems, which are also related to skin problems....I have no idea where I am with b12, but I don't think I'm low. Perhaps it is your ferritin too? That would certainly answer my questions on where the heck this skin stuff came from.

To my knowledge, the best think to help absorb iron is folic acid, as in OJ. Ferritin I think can only be added with injections, but I am not sure on that. I don't see a doc again till the 27th.

Evonneda Newbie
Interesting about the dairy. I have had skin problems creep up within the past year too. Cystic acne, which I have never had before. I also use ProActiv, and it does help. I have tried a bunch of the cheaper brands, and this is really the only one that helps. Are you sure your iron is low, or is it ferritin? I was always told my iron was low and started taking iron pills. It did raise my blood cell count, but I recently ordered some tests on my own that showed my iron is now way high, my RBC very healthy, but I was low on ferritin. Low ferritin is also related to thyroid problems, which are also related to skin problems....I have no idea where I am with b12, but I don't think I'm low. Perhaps it is your ferritin too? That would certainly answer my questions on where the heck this skin stuff came from.

To my knowledge, the best think to help absorb iron is folic acid, as in OJ. Ferritin I think can only be added with injections, but I am not sure on that. I don't see a doc again till the 27th.

Thanks for your replies. I will speak to the doc about Ferritin and see what she says, although I am sure I am iron deficient. I am sure my doc has tested me for thyroid symptoms too so hopefully it's just coeliac (that's enough I think !) Thanks again.

specialdiets Newbie
Good evening

I am off to the doc's on Friday for my 3 monthly B12 injection.  I do feel like I need this injection more often and would be interested to hear how often other folks with celiac disease get this jag, if at all.  Also, I have been told to take iron supplements (for about 15 years now,although only diagnosed for 3yrs) and blood tests don't show a huge improvement in my iron levels.  Does anyone get iron injections which work better than trying to absorb iron tablets.

Has anyone suffered from really bad skin and if so how did the fix it ??!!  I feel so run down I think my skin is suffering because of this, which is making me feel even worse within myself.  Really sticking to my diet so hopefully over time this will improve but am impatient !  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have pernicious anemia and my doctor prescribed B12 injections every week. I really couldn't live without them, it helps my energy level and pretty much eliminated a candida problem I had prior to diagnosis. The doc just prescribes the needles and B12 for me, and I get my mom or husband to inject (although I could probably do it myself). I've had several doctors agree with this weekly injection, so you should probably get it more often or should also be taking a sublingual B vitamin supplement in the interim.

As for acne, there are many causes from diet, hormones, environment to genetics. My mother is an esthetician and wrote this article from Skin-Spa about skin type and skin conditions that you might find useful: Open Original Shared Link

Sunni

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived