Jess Harper

I Needed This!

Rate this topic

Hey everybody! I'm a new user and could not be happier to be able to talk to people about being gluten free. I seriously needed a place to ask questions, vent, and just plain learn that I'm not the only one who's suffering around here! I have been gluten free for going on 9 months. It has been a struggle with many ups and downs. This is just a post thanking you all for being there. Willing to support and encourage each other. This is a blessing!

God Bless

Hi and welcome. I'm glad you found us. There are plenty of ups and downs for all of us and we're all here to share the good and the bad. My six month mark is next Saturday so I'm still kind of newish to this but thanks to everyone here I was able to get pointed in the right direction and am doing pretty well compared to a year ago.

I'm new too and also glad to have a place to come for answers to my questions and concerns. I've found such conflicting points of view on different websites and it's great to find all the info I need in one place. I have an appointment with my doctor on August 16 for a routine colonoscopy and endoscopy (I'm 64) and will discuss my symptoms, all of which are responding to being gluten free. I know you have to be glutened to be tested but I can't stand the pain and feeling so sick, so I guess I won't be tested. A while ago I read a post from a doctor on another forum. She said one of the most accurate ways to determine gluten intolerance is to go gluten free for 3 months and then assess your symptoms. If you feel better it's a pretty good indicator and you should eat accordingly. If I go back on gluten just to be tested and the test comes back inconclusive or negative I would still stay away from gluten in order to feel better. I read that the doctor can biopsy a piece of the intestine that's healthy, while other parts of the intestine may have damage, so testing can be inaccurate. So is it really necessary to be tested? My doctor diagnosed me with mild gerd 2 years ago and I think he was wrong because when I stay away from gluten there's no acid reflux. In this case I trust my experience more than my doctor's education. If gluten hurts me and I avoid it and feel good isn't that enough?

Welcome!

I feel the same way, Jess! Most people won't understand what a switch this diagnosis is, and to be honest, most people do not want to hear about it! It is wonderful to come here and experience the support that comes from a common experience.

Thank you from me too! :)