3 3
josh052980

Five Guys Burgers And Fries & Msg?

Rate this topic

I ate at Five Guys last night, which is awesome, they're great about gluten free, but I think they're pretty heavy on MSG. I've always gotten tired/achy feeling arms, and heart palpitations for about 2 days if I have MSG, and I seem to get these symptoms from Five Guys, almost every time I'm there. It's not a glutening, my reaction to gluten and MSG is very different, this is definitely MSG. Through trial and error I've noticed it happens with their cajun fries, A-1 sauce and mustard. I'm guessing they add MSG to these things?

I had the same exact reaction after eating the Cajun fries. Must have MSG.

5 minutes ago, Ray232 said:

I had the same exact reaction after eating the Cajun fries. Must have MSG.

It doesn't list msg in the ingredients -

"Cajun Style Potatoes, Refined Peanut Oil, Salt, Cajun Seasoning: Blend of Garlic, Salt, Onion, Paprika, Oregano, White Pepper, Red Pepper, Spice "

http://www.fiveguys.com/~/media/files/fiveguys/publicsite/nutritional-information/nutritionallergensaugust182015us.ashx

sometimes there is msg in sauces, tomato, bbq mayo etc. I get really bad headaches from the tiniest amount of msg/artificial colors/flavours so I avoid most of them.

I just had a plain fries and bottle of water from 5 Guys and suffered for the msg. I know they have it in that product based on my reaction. I ate nothing else prior or during or after. Their published ingredients specifically says they do not use msg on their fries. I won't eat there again. Ever.

"Their published ingredients specifically says they do not use msg on their fries. "

So, do you have any actual proof that there is MSG in their fries? I'm sorry that you were ill after eating there, but a single reaction by one person is not proof. I eat their fries from time to time, and have never had an issue, although I am not highly reactive to MSG.

Their published allergens list doesn't show any MSG in their products.

Maybe you are reacting to something else though?  Perhaps check all the ingredients for the foods you ate that day to see if there are any common ingredients?

http://www.fiveguys.com/-/media/Public-Site/Files/NutritionAllergensAugust182015US.ashx?la=en

Being sick and not knowing what caused it is no fun.  Sorry.

And welcome to the forum1 :)

Edited by GFinDC

Might be a cross  reaction with something from the fryer, a condiment, contaminated serving wear/gloves. Or it could even be you grabbed something or touched something on the table from a  previous customer (condiment bottle  with smears on it, something under the  edge of the table, etc. before grabbing and eating a fry. -_- so many possibilities I know it can drive you nuts when you can not narrow it down.