ashesmom

Question About Wheat Protein In Spice Packet

Rate this topic

I am making stew and my spice packet says it has wheat protein in it....Is it processed out and safe for celiacs or should I keep my daughter away???

I wouldn't eat it!!!

I wouldn't use it! Wheat protein is the part we react to.

Wheat means wheat!!!....so, nope!

Um, is it a "Spice" packet or a "Seasoning" packet? If it is labeled as "spice," but contains wheat, the label is wrong and should be reported to the FDA (US) or CFIA (Canada).

It is just a stew spice pack, but I read somewhere that the McKormick stew pack that says hydrolyzed wheat protein in it is so processed that it is safe for celiacs...This is not that brand but was just curious...I made her something else for dinner anyway but is there any stew spice packs out there that are safe???

It is just a stew spice pack, but I read somewhere that the McKormick stew pack that says hydrolyzed wheat protein in it is so processed that it is safe for celiacs...This is not that brand but was just curious...I made her something else for dinner anyway but is there any stew spice packs out there that are safe???

I've read that too BUT the gluten tests don't work well on hydrolyzed protein. It's hard to know what's really there or the agenda of the person who did the testing. My rule is if it came from wheat, rye, or barley in any way, shape, or form I skip it.

I've used an Italian seasoning mix or Herbs de Provence, fresh garlic, and fresh onions for stew. Splash of wine if I have a bottle open. I like to thicken stews with arrowroot starch.

Wheat, anything that says wheat, is a BIG no-no here.