goblue2014

Does Anyone Know Of Good Remedies For A Gluten Reaction?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for 7 months, but I still feel overwhelmed at times trying to keep myself away from gluten, especially since I seem to be extremely sensitive - and what

Sorry to hear you get so miserable from gluten. I like Imodium for diarrhea, Pepto Bismol for the stomach aches. Tums are nice for heartburn.

As far as gluten in meds, here is the info on brand names for the ones I mentioned.

IMODIUM® Multi-Symptom Chewable Tablets and IMODIUM® A-D Caplets have been tested and do not contain any detectable levels of gluten. http://www.imodium.com/diarrhea-faq/index.jhtml#q13

Brand name Pepto Bismol is gluten-free. Also Proctor & Gamble will declare gluten on their labels if they ever change the formula.

Tums-all are gluten-free except TUMS Smoothies Cocoa and Cream contain gluten (5/5/2011)

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/list.htm

Aside from the tips Skylark has given you, I am afraid there is not much more to be done except wait it out. I know it is not easy ( I suffer a week- long fun ride myself after a CC). I usually increase my water intake (and I already drink a lot anyway) and take digestive enzymes and extra probiotics for a week. No scientific evidence it helps, but I feel like it "rights the ship" and gets me out of the bathroom quicker.

I take activated charcoal, detox teas, and spirulina to help cleanse the yuckies. I've only been hit once in the past year, but this kept the reaction from being too severe. Along with the extra probiotic and digestive enzymes like Irish said, this kept me from spending too much time in the potty.

I have been gluten free 1 1/2 years. I have been glutened a few times. Cross contamination was usually the cause, or just label reading mishaps.

We have to ride it out but I have found a few ways to get through the pain and yucky parts.

Strong peppermint tea is a must, I read somewhere that peppermint has the ability to bring gut pain down as well as cool down the gut. I love the peppermint oil pills that I found at a health food store.

I found them cheaper at Amazon Peppermint pills

Other things I do when things go bad, 2 teaspoons slippery elm (loose) in hot water. I sweeten it and it helps calm down an inflamed gut too.

I also add bentonite clay to my tea, it helps to coat the intestines and after a few weeks the pain got better.

Sometimes I feel all this body maintenance is a full time job. But it's worth it when I get to live again.

Leah B

I tried 3 teaspoons of salt and drank 3 glasses of water. The salt was sea salt.