Emilem

Celiac And Other Food Intolerances

Rate this topic

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can relate/offer advice and knowledge on this issue....

About 7 months ago I started experiencing fatigue and edema/fluid retention. I was achy from time to time as well. The most bothersome symptom, however, was the edema. As time went on, the edema progressed, as well as the other symptoms. We discovered that I was severely anemic in January. My iron saturation was something like 3%. I started taking supplementation but in a month and a half saw very little improvement.

My doctor ran endless blood tests and by default in March, discovered I had celiac disease. I tested positive for the blood antibodies. They performed an endoscopy and confirmed the diagnosis. Three months later, I had another blood work-up completed. My B-12, Vitamin D, Iron, and inflammation are now all in normal range. The fatigue has improved, however, the edema has actually WORSENED. It makes me achy. My legs swell up so much it makes it difficult to get my pants on some mornings, or my shoes. I have definitely noticed that it is dietary as I feel different after eating different things. I have messed around with countless elimination diets at this point and have seen temporary relief at points, but I still struggle.

Truthfully, I haven't really stuck with any elimination diet for more than 5 days before I give up on it and decide to try something else. Currently, I am thinking of restorting to "fasting" for a few days to see if I feel better by completely removing everything from my system.

After that, I am hoping to get back on what seems like the most trusted elimination diet for me (avocados, rice, sweet potatos, some fruits & veggies, olive oil) for a good month to see if I improve.

I am wondering if anyone can relate/offer me any insight? Anyone know if there are common allergies that arise with celiac or gluten intolerance that cause these symptoms? Anyone experienced success with elimination diets and if so, what kinds? Did you experience withdrawel symptoms? Any and all advice is appreciated!! Thank you for reading :)

Dairy intolerance is super-common among celiacs. I have it. The next most common is probably soy, another that bothers me on and off and gets many other board members. I see a few say they have trouble with corn, and even all grains. Nightshades are another to pay attention too.

I'd suggest eliminating dairy and soy and starting a food diary. The diary is important because reactions can be delayed. My dairy reaction is 24-48 hours delayed, for example. And yes, I find it hard to stay off dairy but my GI system is usually NOT happy with me if I eat it. :lol:

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can relate/offer advice and knowledge on this issue....

About 7 months ago I started experiencing fatigue and edema/fluid retention. I was achy from time to time as well. The most bothersome symptom, however, was the edema. As time went on, the edema progressed, as well as the other symptoms. We discovered that I was severely anemic in January. My iron saturation was something like 3%. I started taking supplementation but in a month and a half saw very little improvement.

My doctor ran endless blood tests and by default in March, discovered I had celiac disease. I tested positive for the blood antibodies. They performed an endoscopy and confirmed the diagnosis. Three months later, I had another blood work-up completed. My B-12, Vitamin D, Iron, and inflammation are now all in normal range. The fatigue has improved, however, the edema has actually WORSENED. It makes me achy. My legs swell up so much it makes it difficult to get my pants on some mornings, or my shoes. I have definitely noticed that it is dietary as I feel different after eating different things. I have messed around with countless elimination diets at this point and have seen temporary relief at points, but I still struggle.

Truthfully, I haven't really stuck with any elimination diet for more than 5 days before I give up on it and decide to try something else. Currently, I am thinking of restorting to "fasting" for a few days to see if I feel better by completely removing everything from my system.

After that, I am hoping to get back on what seems like the most trusted elimination diet for me (avocados, rice, sweet potatos, some fruits & veggies, olive oil) for a good month to see if I improve.

I am wondering if anyone can relate/offer me any insight? Anyone know if there are common allergies that arise with celiac or gluten intolerance that cause these symptoms? Anyone experienced success with elimination diets and if so, what kinds? Did you experience withdrawel symptoms? Any and all advice is appreciated!! Thank you for reading :)

have you been tested for protein malabsorption and kidney disease?

If you figure it out let me know that is one of my worst symptoms. ;)