This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free And Constipated

jenhunter

jenhunter Newbie

I was diagnosed with being gluten intolerant about a month ago. I immediately stopped eating gluten and went on a strict gluten free diet. almost instantly i noticed a huge difference in the appearance of my stomach (i wasn't bloated). i don't have those constant stabbing pains i used to get, and i am no longer in a ton of pain after eating meals. however, i am still constipated. i will go 4 days without going and when i finally do - its hardly anything. one week i will go once a day everyday, and the next week i wont go for 4-5 days straight! the week that i was on my period - i went everyday and have never felt so good! (sorry if that's a little TMI) i decided to take a tablespoon of metamucil last night and woke up with diarrhea and now i feel all bloated and gross feeling again. does/did anyone ever have issues like this? i would LOVE to know some ways to help me become regular. the days i do go, i feel amazing. and the days i don't go - i am so uncomfortable. sorry if its a little too much info but i am desperate for some guidance since my doctor frankly couldn't care less.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gonnabeglutenfree Rookie

I was diagnosed with being gluten intolerant about a month ago. I immediately stopped eating gluten and went on a strict gluten free diet. almost instantly i noticed a huge difference in the appearance of my stomach (i wasn't bloated). i don't have those constant stabbing pains i used to get, and i am no longer in a ton of pain after eating meals. however, i am still constipated. i will go 4 days without going and when i finally do - its hardly anything. one week i will go once a day everyday, and the next week i wont go for 4-5 days straight! the week that i was on my period - i went everyday and have never felt so good! (sorry if that's a little TMI) i decided to take a tablespoon of metamucil last night and woke up with diarrhea and now i feel all bloated and gross feeling again. does/did anyone ever have issues like this? i would LOVE to know some ways to help me become regular. the days i do go, i feel amazing. and the days i don't go - i am so uncomfortable. sorry if its a little too much info but i am desperate for some guidance since my doctor frankly couldn't care less.

This is my first week gluten-free and am experiencing similar.

Though, I was having these same issues before and know it sometimes takes weeks for your GI system to catch up to the changes you have made.

I will be traveling all week and plan to add in a natural/organic Psyllium Husk powder (going easy on it for the first few days to get used to it - then adding more if needed).

This has helped me in the past when I was desperate to "GO".

My thought is that once you switch to gluten-free, you are naturally avoiding breads/grains than your diet before (rightly so because it made you feel sick) so getting extra fiber from somewhere might help. And of course eating more roughage can help, but can also cause "IBS"-like symptoms if your body is not used to it yet.

My dietician has me on a digestive enzyme to help with the new changes and recommended fiber if needed so hope it works and will be more gentle than Metamucil. It might take a few different products to try before you find the right one for your body.

IrishHeart Veteran

I suggest a Tablespoon of ground flaxseed in 16 oz. of water morning and night for a week and upping your intake of fibrous veggies.

Use the ground flaxseed in smoothies, baked goods, or in yogurt or cottage cheese. (if you tolerate dairy)

Drink a lot of water. Unless you have another condition or disease, often lack of water in the system is a contributing factor to C.

You'll level off. Hang in there!

jenhunter Newbie

I suggest a Tablespoon of ground flaxseed in 16 oz. of water morning and night for a week and upping your intake of fibrous veggies.

Use the ground flaxseed in smoothies, baked goods, or in yogurt cottage cheese.

Drink a lot of water. Unless you have another condition or disease, often lack of water in the system is a contributing factor to C.

You'll level off. Hang in there!

i'll have to try the flaxseed approach. i drink about 1.5-2 liters of water a day and i get bloated from eating veggies! i am not sure if its bc my body is still recovering from the gluten or what.

IrishHeart Veteran

i'll have to try the flaxseed approach. i drink about 1.5-2 liters of water a day and i get bloated from eating veggies! i am not sure if its bc my body is still recovering from the gluten or what.

Steam or cook the veggies --instead of eating them raw until your gut feels better.

Yes, anything is possible until your gut heals.

Hornet Rookie

I have always been constipated since before I became gluten intolerant. I take a Maalox type product 1-2 x daily and milk of magnesia at night. Sometimes it works and others not. There is Smoothe Mive Tea that hasSenna ion it. The longer you steep it the more you'll go. I had an allergic reaction to the senna. Activated charcoal helps with gas and bloat. Take 2 1 hr before or after meds-not with anything else. Always ask your did if any of these are safe for you. Better to drink 8 glasses if water to get things moving. I have slow motility so I don't digest quickly or well. Good luck

loco-ladi Contributor

It takes a while to adjust your body and mind to the new diet, when you do get used to it you will learn to adjust your diet to what your body needs... when i get constipated I eat a big ole salad the next morning no more being "backed up"... when it get to loosey juicey then I cut back on the veggies and eat more meat... stick with it... in the end its worth all the troubles you face at the begining... and dont forget to check toothpaste, shampoo, makeup and all medication for gluten as well... its one of the easiest overlooked areas!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShannonA Contributor

My nutritionist that I'm seeing has me on LBS II (lower bowel stimulant) by Nature Sunshine & it has helped me tremendously. I get it at my local health store. I take 3 capsules in the evening & drink something warm in the morning and usually go. If not by noon I take 2 more & it's herbal not more medicine.
jenhunter Newbie

My nutritionist that I'm seeing has me on LBS II (lower bowel stimulant) by Nature Sunshine & it has helped me tremendously. I get it at my local health store. I take 3 capsules in the evening & drink something warm in the morning and usually go. If not by noon I take 2 more & it's herbal not more medicine.

i just ordered the pills from amazon bc the local health stores do not sell it where i am (sprouts, whole foods, lassens). is it easy on your stomach? i've been taking metamucil and i just get really bloated and gassy and i hate that uncomfortable feeling! thanks for your help!!!

ShannonA Contributor

Yeah Metamucil did same for me. LBS works fine for me except one day I took about 7 throughout the day bc I didn't go in a couple of days, well the next day I stayed in the restroom all morning. :D I was being impatient & I guess I learned my lesson. I also drink a cup of room temperature water when I wake up then my coffee. It'll work for you!

IrishHeart Veteran

Guys, seriously??....lower bowel stimulants and various chemicals and dependency on them to "make you go"--- is not really healthy.

Water. Lots of water.

Start your day with 16 oz. of water.

Please, just try the ground flaxseed meal in water instead of those OTC preps that will wipe out your entire gut flora.

That stuff is designed for colonoscopy preps.

loci__ladi and I agree. FOOD is your best "propellant"

Salads, fruit.

Make a fruit smoothie! Lots of blueberries, bananas, pineapple, kale, mango, ground flax....with a little coconut milk. If you don't s$#&e your brains out, I'll be stunned.

jenhunter Newbie

Guys, seriously??....lower bowel stimulants and various chemicals and dependency on them to "make you go"--- is not really healthy.

Water. Lots of water.

Please, just try the ground flaxseed meal in water instead of those OTC preps that will wipe out your entire gut flora.

Salads, fruit.

Make a fruit smoothie! Lots of blueberries, bananas, pineapple, kale, mango, ground flax....with a little coconut milk. If you don't s$#&e your brains out, I'll be stunned.

i drink 2 liters of water a day, sometimes more depending on how hard i work out. i drink a protein smoothie that contains a vegan protein (gluten-free obviously), bananas, blueberries, strawberries and almond milk. i eat other fruits and vegetables throughout the day. i eat oatmeal in the morning. i've made a fruit smoothie similar to the one you listed (minus the kale, i had spinach in mine) and i didn't go to the bathroom. i eat a salad or two everyday that includes healthy fats as well as good protein. to me, i see no other choice. my body needs to go to the bathroom and i am simply constantly backed up. i have called my dr 3 times in the past 3 weeks to get in to see a gastro and have gotten no response. i'm sorry, but with the way i eat - there is NO reason why i should be going to the bathroom 2-3 times a week

RonSchon Explorer

I agree with what you are saying Jen, and I'm only 10 days in - but it is 100% for those 10 days, not 99.9%.

I would hope that things would start moving more regularly, but recognize that the intestinal villi take time to heal.

I'll be waiting at least 4 months before I start changing my approach.

I drink a lot of water, and have a lot of food that should make me regular, if I don't self-repair I will look at engaging in more testing.

I know how painful and stressful it is, but we'll get there.

Alexa Newbie

Have you tried Miralax? Yogurt helps too.

IrishHeart Veteran

i'm sorry, but with the way i eat - there is NO reason why i should be going to the bathroom 2-3 times a week

Are you Newly diagnosed?

Do you take digestive enzymes? probiotics? These will help.

Ditch the oatmeal. Even if it's certified gluten-free. Celiacs have a tough time digesting it until their guts are healed. Could be 1-2 years for that to happen.

Dairy could be backing you up. (cheese, in particular, if you are intolerant of that right now)

Are those vegetables RAW? that could also be a problem. Lightly steam them.

If you do not regulate in a few weeks, ask the GI doc to run a small bowel follow through to see if there is an obstruction or something else going on.

Hypothyroidism will also give you major C-- but if you are not exhibiting other hypo symptoms, and your thyroid panels are normal, do not worry about that.

But, if you are newly DXed, C and D are common ailments for us and until your gut heals and the bowels begin to work as they should, you may have alternating bowel symptoms.

I'm sorry, hon (I know, I LIVED it for years).

Hang in there.

jenhunter Newbie

But, if you are newly DXed, C and D are common ailments for us and until your gut heals and the bowels begin to work as they should, you may have alternating bowel symptoms.

I was diagnosed about a month ago. I don

MichelleD Newbie

MichelleD Newbie

I am totally going through this. Constipation was my main complaint before going gluten free. I am still having issues with it. I work out out several days a week and eat lots of veggies, salads are my mainstay since going gluten free since I am avoiding "replacement proiducts" so it's not poor diet and lack of exercise. I am taking digestive enzymes and like you my bloating is much improved. I like the flaxseed tip and will try it. I want my diet healthy enough to go. My doctors advice was to take metamucil and miralax everyday and keep a food log and call back in a few months. Not quite what I was looking for.

lewiss Rookie

Hi,

Yup, flax seed ground in a coffee grinder added to your favorite breakfast cerceal it worked for me. I am self diagnosed gluten-free, i know that doesn't sit well with most, but it worked for me. I am still having tired issus, bowel problems, mood swings, low energy, but l know that if i just hang in there things should get better. Just a side note, i have been on a lot of different diets over the years, taken a lot of supplements, exercised a lot, until one day, l just had know energy, no air, all i wanted to do was sit down and die. Soooo.... this is my last resort, going gluten-free, getting away from the low energy, the bowel problems, and on and on it goes........ Just hang in there that's what l'am told, l hope you are feeling better

Lewiss

IrishHeart Veteran

I was diagnosed about a month ago. I don

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

For a natural laxative drink a big dose of olive oil. You can mix it with orange juice or whatever...it doesn't taste bad at all, and it won't hurt you a bit...and it WILL make you go! You can drink 2 ounces every few hours if you need to. It really isn't gonna hurt anything and some people I know drink 2 ounces a day as a shot...just because it is good for you! I prefer my olive oil on veggies though, thank you. But if you are miserable...ya know...it might help!

Also...a large dose of vitamin C can move things along.

some people take vitamin C to bowel tolerance...meaning until it gives you diarrhea and then they back off to where they don't get the D from it and that was supposed to be the level of vitamin C you needed. That was Linus Pauling's research...but anyway, it means that a large dose of vitamin C can truly "move you"!! And I think it is a harmless remedy too.

IrishHeart Veteran

Also...a large dose of vitamin C can move things along.

some people take vitamin C to bowel tolerance...meaning until it gives you diarrhea and then they back off to where they don't get the D from it and that was supposed to be the level of vitamin C you needed. That was Linus Pauling's research...but anyway, it means that a large dose of vitamin C can truly "move you"!! And I think it is a harmless remedy too.

Somewhere around 3,000-5,000 mgs should be a moving experience indeed. :D (but as Meatie suggests, back off it or you'll be going and going and going)

Also, a big dose of magnesium (about 750 mgs) at bedtime will also "provoke" a response.

To the OP: The thing is, all of these suggestions we are offering will work--one time---but for sustained "normal" BMs, the gut lining has to heal and things will normalize in time.

cap6 Enthusiast

Water. Lots of water.

Salads, fruit.

Sorry, I really don't mean to be rude or combative or any of that.... but sometimes the "chemical' way is the only way out of a difficult situation.

After two years I still have trouble with C. Not as much, but still trouble. It doesn't matter that I drink close on to a gallon of water a day and feel like I am floating down the Nile, eat cooked veggies 3x's a day, no processed foods, take probiotics, take flax seed oil and sprinkle regular flax on food, had my thyroid checked, etc, etc, the problem with C is still is there. I have tried everything and would prefer to do everything the most "natural" way possible. But I can't.

This is just my own thought..... everything that has to do with Celiac Disease takes it's own sweet time and is different for every person. My issue with dealing with C has taken 2 years to get to the point where I can go with the every other night help of the Smooth Move tea. I figure, at least I only have to take the tea every other night as opposed to the every night that I started out with. At one point four fleet enemas didn't "move" me. (Sorry for the graphics) It may take another two years to get to where i don't need the extra "help" at all but at least I am showing improvement.

In the past year I have slowly weaned myself off of two of the three anti-depressents that I was on. I was on two priolesec a day and am now down to 1/2 a day.

Bottom line, I guess my point is this ~ everyone has to find their own "cocktail" for dealing with this issue of C. Take every suggestion given, mix them together and find what works best for you. Warm prune juice or a huge salad may work for one person and not for you. Give things a try and find your way. If you have to use a chemical help (laxitives, whatever) for awhile, ok. (Awhile being the key word here) If the chemical approach works, use it. But be mindful and don't over do. Once you become regular for awhile then work on cutting back on that chemical help. I honestly believe that as ones body begins to heal you will find that you need less and less of the "chemical" help. With Celiac you don't always absorb the right nutrients. If you don't absorb and process the foods then they can't do the job that they are supposed to. As you heal you will begin to absorb nutrients which will naturally take over, process and lessen the need for chemical assistance. The natural wayy will win out.

IrishHeart Veteran

After two years I still have trouble with C. Not as much, but still trouble.

This is just my own thought..... everything that has to do with Celiac Disease takes it's own sweet time and is different for every person.

In the past year I have slowly weaned myself off of two of the three anti-depressents that I was on. I was on two priolesec a day and am now down to 1/2 a day.

The natural wayy will win out.

Could not agree more with the "everyone heals at their own pace" thought!! (I say that so often on here, I must sound like a broken record) :D

And I also agree that everyone needs to find what works to get relief.

My biggest concern is for people to become overly-dependent on chemical stimulants because that can/will happen. (it's fine for occasional use, to relieve that "blockage"--yes)

You mention you were taking several medications, but now weaning off them. (having used those myself, I know a major side effect of those is C) so, perhaps, it is possible you had C as a result of those as well?

Hoping you continue to see improvements! This has been a long road for me, too and I suspect I have more years of healing still to come.

Best wishes, IH

cap6 Enthusiast

Could not agree more with the "everyone heals at their own pace" thought!! (I say that so often on here, I must sound like a broken record) :D

And I also agree that everyone needs to find what works to get relief.

My biggest concern is for people to become overly-dependent on chemical stimulants because that can/will happen. (it's fine for occasional use, to relieve that "blockage"--yes)

You mention you were taking several medications, but now weaning off them. (having used those myself, I know a major side effect of those is C) so, perhaps, it is possible you had C as a result of those as well?

Hoping you continue to see improvements! This has been a long road for me, too and I suspect I have more years of healing still to come.

Best wishes, IH

Thanks for your comments irishheart ~ Yes, I am very hopeful that going off of this last antidepressent will be the "magic" cure! ;) If nothing else celiac is teaching me patience! grr lol

Archived