~**caselynn**~

Coconut Flour For Dummies?

Rate this topic

Help!! I have coconut flour and have attempted twice to make muffins with it, and each time they are dry and wicked dense. What am I doing wrong?? Is there a class I can take for gluten free cooking lol I'm not the best at it, so I've learned! I hope someone has some tips, or even if you have a favorite coconut flour muffin recipe You'd like to share that would be awesome!!

Elana's Pantry has some recipes with coconut flour and I do know that it usually requires a bunch of eggs. I have never tried her coconut flour recipes although I love her almond flour ones.

Thanks! I'll check it out. ?

Help!! I have coconut flour and have attempted twice to make muffins with it, and each time they are dry and wicked dense. What am I doing wrong?? Is there a class I can take for gluten free cooking lol I'm not the best at it, so I've learned! I hope someone has some tips, or even if you have a favorite coconut flour muffin recipe You'd like to share that would be awesome!!

Coconut flour can't always be substituted 100% for other flours, it depends on the recipe. Many recipes you should only do about a quarter of the recipe with coconut flour, then other flours for the rest.

It also takes extra liquid. If you substitute 1/2 cup of coconut flour into a recipe, you would want to increase the liquid by an equal amount.

Coconut flour soaks up a LOT of moisture.

The poster who mentioned extra eggs is correct, it takes a few more eggs to bake with this flour.

There's a good rundown on how to use it at Nourished Kitchen.

Great info on that site, thank you!

Agree with what others have said ... the liquid-flour ratio is WAY different for coconut flour. I just made a birthday cake for my husband Friday and the recipe called for 6 eggs and only 1/3 c coconut flour. Check out www.spunkycoconut.com. Love her recipes - her banana bread is incredible. I like it better than the gluten version, and sometimes bake it into muffins so that I can keep some in the freezer for last minute breakfasts. The cake I mentioned was the vanilla bean cake and it's awesome.

Just to add...

Yes, I'm in agreement to many of the above posts. I find coconut was meant to be used with a more traditional flour, and not necessarily the only flour used when doing things like baking. It expands and throws off measurements, plus is doesn't cook thoroughly...in my experience.

The rule I follow is if I am going to use a flour as the main ingredient, like in a pancake, I use almond flour. If I am going to bread something like chicken in a flour, I use coconut flour. So coconut on the outside, almond the inside.

Just my thoughts from my experiences. :)