This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms With Period.

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Does anyone else feel glutened while on their period? Last night I tried something new to eat and within 2 hours, I looked 6 mo. pregnant. My typical reaction to gluten. This morning I got my period. I have been in the bathroom with D most of today. I sometimes get D with my period but this seems more like a glutening because of my other symptoms.

I have felt similar to this while on my period before though. I am just wondering if it's hormones or what the deal is and if anyone else experiences gluten type symptoms with their period weather glutened or not.

I hope I am making sense..as much sense as I can through the glutened and period pain. :(:unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I always get D about 2 days before my period and up through the first day or two. It's my understanding that it's hormones. It's pretty awful but I just deal with it. It isn't the emergent sort of don't get more than 10 feet from a bathroom D that I get from gluten so it doesn't bother me too badly. I get pretty bloated too and break out my fat pants. That's assuming I have to leave my house, usually I just stay in jammies and stuff my face with milk by the gallon.

nvsmom Community Regular

I'm really new to this (2 weeks attempted gluten-free but I've been celiac my whole life) so although I'm not sure what normal feels like yet, I do know that my stomach gets upset at the start of my period. The day before I get quite bloated (the pg look) and on day 1 my stomach empties much more thouroughly than normal (I am usually C). I usually back pain and migraines too. I always attributed it to hormones...

Sorry I can't help more. Hope you feel better.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I start. Locating the week before, to the point that I look preggers, not so awesome. The day before I will be struck with C, and then one the "cleanse" begins its D for a couple days. I pretty much feel like I'd like to die due to the pain, but it's not the same as gluten. I'm pretty sure it's hormones that cause the fluctuations but I have been glutened at the same time and that's a whole new ball game.....

I love that it autocorrects from bloating to locating haha can't win for losing some days!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

My feeling is that having your period makes your symptoms worse. I have noticed that for many years. I can even look back and remember incidents from since before I was diagnosed. I won't go into gross detail.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone! I agree, something about celiac makes periods worse. This is def. a gluten/period combo. I'll spare you the details but boy, is this painful. My hormones drive me to eat things that I normally would never eat. Processed things and every single time, I get zapped. -Back to nothing processed. I can do this! Just when I start feeling halfway decent. ( I never really feel good like I did before celiac) I will try a new food and wham....glutened. Time to stick with the tried and true foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I go through the same thing, and always go back to the whole foods. It's the only time I really feel great, but you're right, I haven't felt as good as I remember pre celiac in a LONG time. Getting there slowly, I hope!

Ebonyjade93 Rookie

I am exactly the same!!! I'm so glad I found this thread as I just went through this, some months are worse than others, this month is painful!!! I dread my periods!! I get so bloated aswell and the worst stomach pains, it's hard to tell if I've been glutened or it's just because I'm going to get my periods.... I also get D, but I also get C aswell some months. Just good too know I'm not alone with this... Idk how many times I read threads and think that.

Marie1976 Enthusiast

My pms and periods are way worse since I was diagnosed with celiac and stopped eating gluten. You would think it would get better not worse right? Weird. :/

archaeo in FL Apprentice

I got the Mirena IUD recently, hoping it'll help with some bladder issues (may have endometriosis on the bladder, but not confirmed), and also hoping it'll make my periods go away. I've only had it for a couple of months, and so far my gastro symptoms and cramps have been worse, but I haven't had much of a period - and not for long or at the same time at all.

My GYN told me that ALL women get D with their periods (and, if not, they still experience the hormonal trigger that causes it - something about the muscles that cause it and our bodies at that time), and it's possible that if your periods are getting worse it's also just a change you're experiencing outside of Celiac. If it continues, though, you may want to talk to a GYN - you may have something making them worse (endo, fibroids, cysts), none of which are necessarily bad or abnormal but which may be treatable.

• 2 weeks later...
LauraB0927 Apprentice

Because of my anemia my GYN had me taking three months worth of birth control in a row before getting my period so that it could cut down on the blood loss - this has actually helped with my iron levels the past few years (plus I dont mind getting my period only 4 times a year!). This is the first time I'm getting it since going gluten free, and my symptoms have become much worse. My cramps are worse than they have ever been in my life and Midol used to be my miracle pill and it doesnt even seem like its working now. I also have a permanent feeling like I have to go to the bathroom. Why do the hormones have a different effect and severity after going gluten free? I really hope this ends soon....

peacefirst Rookie

I am gluten free just for about a week, and got my period, and even though I feel a bit bloated, my belly is still much smaller than before I stopped glutein. I do avoid proccessed foods(oaccasionally I eat salad dressing with minute amounts of sugar in it and such)for a while now and eat lots of raw foods. Even if you have some issues with your health, eating whole foods can help quite a bit, but first few periods might be actually worse, because of the detox effect.

Archived