Char52678

The California Food Company

Rate this topic

I am new to this Gluten free world, about 3 weeks.

I purchased this frozen pizza from my local grocery store (Winn Dixie). It was a small reaction compared to the reason I started avoiding Gluten. However I did start to get a nauseas feeling that wasn't as bad as I've experienced in the past and then of course the immediate tired feeling, but not exhausted like in the past. I do feel like I was glutened and wonder how when the box said Gluten free. I proceeded to pull the box out of the garbage to find that its Gluten Free, but produced in a wheat factory. Has anyone else experienced this with this name brand or even other brands?

Welcome,

A few of us are sensitive enough that a shared facility is a concern, but most of us are not.

Shared facility means that somewhere in the same building there is wheat--not necessarily in the same room. Are there any products containing wheat anywhere in your home? If so, you live in a shared facility.

Do you not think it derived from being produced in a wheat factory?

Hi Char52678,

We're sorry for your unpleasant experience. However careful procedures are put in place so this very sort of thing does not happen - our customer's satisfaction is our highest priority. We contacted our co-packer and here was their response: 

We avoid cross-contamination of gluten having the following procedures in place:
  • Physical segregation of ingredients: Ingredients with allergens are stored separate from ingredients without allergens
  • Physical segregation and scheduling of the process: Even if we produce gluten and non-gluten base product they are produced in physically separate rooms (divided by a wall) or they are scheduled in a way that they would never be produced at the same time
  • Sanitation Program: Our sanitation program is validated to eliminate allergens from the processing lines, full cleaning/sanitation on daily basis 
  • Gluten allergen test: We test our product  for 10 p.p.m. of gluten on daily basis to ensure all of the gluten-free product is below the regulation limit of <20 ppm
  • All our programs are audited and validated by and external 3rd party audit (QAI/NSF) who issued our Gluten Free Certification

Hope this resolves any concerns you may have, thank you!

Hi Char52678,

We're sorry for your unpleasant experience. However careful procedures are put in place so this very sort of thing does not happen - our customer's satisfaction is our highest priority. We contacted our co-packer and here was their response: 

We avoid cross-contamination of gluten having the following procedures in place:
  • Physical segregation of ingredients: Ingredients with allergens are stored separate from ingredients without allergens
  • Physical segregation and scheduling of the process: Even if we produce gluten and non-gluten base product they are produced in physically separate rooms (divided by a wall) or they are scheduled in a way that they would never be produced at the same time
  • Sanitation Program: Our sanitation program is validated to eliminate allergens from the processing lines, full cleaning/sanitation on daily basis 
  • Gluten allergen test: We test our product  for 10 p.p.m. of gluten on daily basis to ensure all of the gluten-free product is below the regulation limit of <20 ppm
  • All our programs are audited and validated by and external 3rd party audit (QAI/NSF) who issued our Gluten Free Certification

Hope this resolves any concerns you may have, thank you!

That's good to know but you are replying to a 3 year old complaint!   :D