GlutenFree-MLDub

Noodles At The Asian Markets?

Rate this topic

Hi. I'm new to the forum, but have read it on and off for awhile. I decided to start participating because I need to be very strict about gluten it appears. I don't currently have a good support group and making my own food has never been my 'thing'... so cooking is a bit of an adventure and a challenge right now.

Anyway, I was wondering if any others who are really sensitive to cross-contamination have ever bought the fresh noodles from Asian markets. They are in the refrigerated section and are vacuum packed (or something), but I have a hard time believing the few that do not have wheat in them have not been made nearby or on the same equipment as the wheat stuff. Because these aren't labeled all that well, I am not sure. Admittedly, I have not yet tried to engage with the employees at the market to ask. It would be nice to have fresh buckwheat soba noodles (sans wheat).

Thanks for any info!

ML

They should have an ingredient label, in english as well as possibly french (along with Thai or Chinese or whatever language). It's funny you mention this, because I was just at a local Asian market I found to get more rice flour and vermicelli (very thin) rice noodles, the dry kind.

But last time I was there I picked up some of the fresh rice noodles, without reading the ingredients first -- and got home to discover they had a sulfite preservative, aka sodium benzoate I think. Thankfully I saw that before I ate them, since I've recently discovered I am sensitive to sulfites.

Thanks for the reply. The ingredients (most of the time) are listed in English. I'm thinking about cross-contamination in those situations. Is it likely? I'm curious if anyone's tried to communicate the woes of using the same equipment to a specialty Asian market? I could certainly do the dry ones. I had them the other night.... not my best work, but I'll try again. :) My problem is that I want to have those nice fresh succulent buckwheat noodles (or even rice ones). They look so yummy.