Minette

Your Favorite Storage Containers

Rate this topic

With these bags of flours and baking mixes accumulating in my cupboard, I'm in need of a better storage solution.

I bought one big Rubbermaid thing (4 liters, I believe) which seems like a good solid container, but because it's tall and narrow, it's pretty hard to measure the flour -- the one-cup measure barely fits inside and then you have to reach way down. Does anyone have a favorite (inexpensive) container that is sturdy and has a lid that stays on, and a nice wide opening?

With these bags of flours and baking mixes accumulating in my cupboard, I'm in need of a better storage solution.

I bought one big Rubbermaid thing (4 liters, I believe) which seems like a good solid container, but because it's tall and narrow, it's pretty hard to measure the flour -- the one-cup measure barely fits inside and then you have to reach way down. Does anyone have a favorite (inexpensive) container that is sturdy and has a lid that stays on, and a nice wide opening?

I use Ziplock containers. They stack well, but I don't buy things in bulk or large amount. I use them for my rice, brown sugar, grits, candy, corn meal, etc. I do have a larger RubberMaid for my Bisquick or flour mix. I hate a messy pantry! :rolleyes:

I think the ones I have are Glad brand, not totally sure though. Not that it matters much, they're the relatively cheap ones that I can use for long term and leftover storage. I have a pretty big collection of them from the small one cup ones for small things to the large 5 or 6 cup ones for my flours and sugar and such. They're pretty short and fat so they're stacked all on top of each other but easy to scoop in to.

I like snap-lock . . . wide variety of sizes. They have a seal so they don't leak fluids (or take on fluids) like when you throw something into a cooler. They're rectangular so they "fit" better in my cabinets, cooler, fridge . . .

So grateful for the $1 store! They have tall, screw lid, Made in the USA containers.

I bet you can order them online but you'd have to buy a case! :)