This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Reaction

RonSchon

RonSchon Explorer

The most frustrating part of being gluten clean is the learning process.

I could eat from a very tight menu and be ok, and maybe that is what I'll end up doing.

I got hit again last night. It could have only been "Wonderful Pistacios", unless it was some kind of odd cross contact.

They say on the packaging, contains no gluten. I know that doesn't mean gluten free.

I keep getting burned by "contains no gluten" as I try and see what will work for me. Gets expensive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

The most frustrating part of being gluten clean is the learning process.

I could eat from a very tight menu and be ok, and maybe that is what I'll end up doing.

I got hit again last night. It could have only been "Wonderful Pistacios", unless it was some kind of odd cross contact.

They say on the packaging, contains no gluten. I know that doesn't mean gluten free.

I keep getting burned by "contains no gluten" as I try and see what will work for me. Gets expensive.

Try looking for a green symbol that's a circle with gluten-free inside on the back of products. Those products are supposed to be certified gluten free. Other things that say they are gluten free, may or may not be, as I have also found out the hard way. Some manufacturing facilities are certified gluten free, even better. Health food stores are best for the safe stuff. A chain near me called "Sprouts" offers a booklet that lists which of their products are actually gluten free. Very helpful.

Adalaide Mentor

I've eaten the Wonderful Pistachios with no reaction. I haven't ever contacted the company to verify that they are processed in a gluten free facility, and would probably do so before having them again once I am able to add nuts back to my diet. You're right that just because a food in it's natural state is gluten free it doesn't mean that it remains gluten free but a quick call to the company would clear this up quick instead of eliminating a perfectly healthy food if you don't need to.

mamaw Community Regular

Cashews & pistachio's are two nuts that give me trouble. SO it may not be that you were glutened but just don't tolerate pistachio's...

RonSchon Explorer

Cashews & pistachio's are two nuts that give me trouble. SO it may not be that you were glutened but just don't tolerate pistachio's...

Good point, Mamaw... I didn't get my symptoms as heavily as I have from my other contaminations - enough, bloating was full on, D, and light fog with light eyesight degradation. My previous reactions over the past couple of weeks were much worse.

Adalaide, I think the reason they don't go the route of gluten-free is because of shared equipment. The planters brand nuts won't even say "no gluten" on them which Wonderful actually does.

1974girl Enthusiast

My non celiac husband spends most of Christmas in the bathroom because every year my 88 yr old Memaw gives him cashews. He can't eat just one. He eats the whole thing in 1 sitting!

IrishHeart Veteran

The planters brand nuts won't even say "no gluten" on them which Wonderful actually does.

The Planter's peanuts are fine. They are a Kraft food, which will clearly display "contains wheat" if they do.

http://www.gfoverflow.com/results.php?q=brand:+Planters

Any company can "say" ....."no gluten ingredients" or "naturally gluten free" or "gluten free" but if it does not have the GIG certification, which is a black G F in a circle, then they are not "certified" .

Some people need to eat from dedicated facilities. Some people tolerate foods that are processed in shared facilities with wheat and some folks do fine with foods processed on shared equipment.

And some foods which are really "naturally gluten free" --like oranges and eggs---do not require any label.

Labeling laws require they list "contains WHEAT". But, that's it.

Many companies, like Kraft will label allergens on the products.

The rest if up to us INDIVIDUALLY to figure out if it is "safe enough". Read the labels.

If you are newly Dxed, anything could still be sparking a "reaction". It does not mean it is gluten or cross- contaminated by gluten.

I had continuing symptoms for more than 10 months post-DX and I was as "clean" as it comes. My home, my food, my husband :) and my whole foods diet.

Read about food labeling laws so you understand how it protects us. Knowing the company policies helps.

I suggest something like Cecelia's Marketplace Gluten Free Shopping Guide if you want a comprehensive guide of gluten-free products.

Just know that companies can change ingredients and processing at any time.

I have been "burned" by a company telling me "we clean the lines that process wheat before we do the gluten free products--you'll be fine"...I wasn't...but that's just me and my system. Others do fine with that.

I eat Planter's peanuts and have no problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 years later...

Well, I am not allergic to the gluten and can eat most nuts like cashews, pistachios, and almonds etc. without any worries.But, when it comes to pistachios, I prefer the unsalted one. 

salted pistachios can increase the water retention in the body and may imbalance the blood pressure level.

Archived