nvsmom

I Triede Strella Damm Daura Beer

Rate this topic

I posted a week or so ago asking for advice on beers. My local liquor store didn't have the ones many of you suggested but they did have Daura beer, with lists of awards all over its gluten-free labels, so I bought it.

I cracked it open after dinner and braced myself for an odd flavour, but it tasted like beer! Not amazing beer but beer. I was really excited so I continued to drink. After about 15 minutes I started to get a stomach ache, the type I haven't had for a few weeks since going gluten free. Within an hour my stomach had ballooned out to the point my husband was staring at it. LOL I made the comment that I hadn't realize I was always bloated, I just thought it was tummy fat, until I had gone gluten-free and my belly flattened right out. Dh continued to stare and said, "you better not be pregnant." LOL :lol:

He's lucky we've been togther 20 years or I would have swatted him.... harder. lol

So I was glutened by Daura even though it says it's gluten-free to 3ppm right on the label. I'll try it again this winter after I've had time to heal (it's only been a few weeks) and see if it bothers me then. In the meantime, I'll look for a millet or sorghum beer... that still seems like a strange thing. LOL

Sorry to hear about your reaction. I had a mild reaction to Estrella Daura about a year ago and at that time it was 6 ppm. I switched to Redbridge by Anheuser Busch and even though it is supposedly 0 ppm, it did not treat me right either. Perhaps I have a sensitivity other than gluten, who knows... It is a bummer because I do miss a good beer occasionally, especially now that the weather is nice....

I haven't tried it since my diagnosis, but I know before I knew that Corona seemed to hurt me as much as Coors Light.

I have tried a few gluten-free beers and felt a little bad, so I also wonder if I'm allergic to some other ingredient. I tried Angry Orchard Cider and also felt off. Woodchuck Cider didn't seem to bother me, but its so sweet that I don't really like it.

I've read from our archives where somebody tested Corona with a gluten food testing kit and it came up under the 10 ppm threshold of the test kit, so it might be as gluten-free as gluten-free beers.

I wish there were better tasting options, but I'm not in an exploratory mood regarding this yet. I need some unpoisoned months.

Green's Amber Ale and Dubbel Dark are both very good, the dark is a bit sweet, oddly. For Woodchuck's, the Granny Smith flavor has half the sugar.

For Woodchuck's, the Granny Smith flavor has half the sugar.

Ahhh I didn't know that! Could come in very handy someday.

Two days ago, I was momentarily SO excited to see a new (to me) "gluten-free" beer at my WhFds. But it's just another "de-glutened" barley beer. AAAARGH!! :angry:

Brunehaut is the brewery & they make 2 "gluten-free" varieties using barley. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

They do rate very high here http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/03/the-best-and-worst-gluten-free-beers.html

My liquor store said the have had Greens but are out... I'll have to check back or special order it. I've heard great things about it too.

And yes, I'm trying to leave my guinea pig days behind! LOL :P:lol: