This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Look Pregnant!

patti-ann

patti-ann Newbie

newly diagnosed and just joined this forum cause im extremely frustrated!! almost four month and now and extremely strict with my diet. Now im more sensiteve to smallest amount of gluten then ever before. when i get gluten in me i bloat like im 8 months pregnant, im 5 ft 5 135 pounds skinny legs with this bloated tummy (when i get accidental gluten) just need to know if anyone has suggestions that can alleviate the bloating and nausea faster it takes me about 3-4 days to get rid of these symptons. im so frustrated.. had to help people move yesterday and every one had pizza, i ordered the gluten free (obviously not) must have got contaminated and then i starved the rest of the day while everyone ate mcdonalds for dinner and then had to pick up my daughter and she was hungry so husband got her a sub so finally at 9:00 last night i ate my rice again. and for all that torment yesterday.... i got gluten in me and today bloated tomorrow with be nausea and accompanied with the runs. im so frustrated and now feelings of anger setting in!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

newly diagnosed and just joined this forum cause im extremely frustrated!! almost four month and now and extremely strict with my diet. Now im more sensiteve to smallest amount of gluten then ever before. when i get gluten in me i bloat like im 8 months pregnant, im 5 ft 5 135 pounds skinny legs with this bloated tummy (when i get accidental gluten) just need to know if anyone has suggestions that can alleviate the bloating and nausea faster it takes me about 3-4 days to get rid of these symptons. im so frustrated.. had to help people move yesterday and every one had pizza, i ordered the gluten free (obviously not) must have got contaminated and then i starved the rest of the day while everyone ate mcdonalds for dinner and then had to pick up my daughter and she was hungry so husband got her a sub so finally at 9:00 last night i ate my rice again. and for all that torment yesterday.... i got gluten in me and today bloated tomorrow with be nausea and accompanied with the runs. im so frustrated and now feelings of anger setting in!

Bless your heart. You will get through. You may have to become accustomed to making sure you have gluten free snacks and meals on hand just in case.

I take American ginseng, it helps a little with overall malaysia and fatigue. I like to sip on carbonated ginger ale for nausea. Just a little bit always helps me a lot. Trying to eat and drink beverages and foods that are too hot or cold. If you can have tea, peppermint and cammomile tea can help. Pepto Bismol and other gluten free medicines for bloating are out there.

Hope something I suggested is helpful.

squirmingitch Veteran

I have found that 1/2 tsp. of baking soda in water really helps with the bloat. You may need to repeat the dose a couple times. But do not take it immediately after eating, on a full stomach. Okay for a bloated stomach but not just after eating. You take it & soon you will begin to burp or should I say belch and pass gas the other way too.

GottaSki Mentor

The learning curve is very tough! I was very similar to you -- when I first went gluten free I became even more sensitive to gluten -- tiniest cc made me bloat to very pregnant looking as well. I never found anything that helped much except become more strict gluten-free.

A couple hints based on your post.

ALWAYS carry gluten free snacks when you will be away from home -- I have a nice looking purse/soft cooler bag that has gluten-free dressing along with snacks. Don't be afraid to bring your own food to a restaurant -- I felt strange at first, but once you are used to it - it becomes very easy to explain to your friends and now I even ask the server for a nice plate or bowl to transfer my food to so that I'm not eating out of containers - they are almost always happy to help and often are curious to learn more about Celiac.

McDonalds along with other fast food and sub places have pre-made salads that are gluten free -- you will learn how to order safely. These salads don't always taste great, but when needed at least you will have something to eat safely in a pinch.

Taking digestive enzymes before eating out has helped my son with cross-contamination - me not so much.

Remember to be good to yourself during this process -- It will get better, but mistakes will be made, tears may be shed, frustration is unavoidable - a nice epsom salt bath soak can help :)

Good Luck!

patti-ann Newbie

I have found that 1/2 tsp. of baking soda in water really helps with the bloat. You may need to repeat the dose a couple times. But do not take it immediately after eating, on a full stomach. Okay for a bloated stomach but not just after eating. You take it & soon you will begin to burp or should I say belch and pass gas the other way too.

thank you to both of you for your input! i was so upset posting this i didnt realize how many grammer errors i had. haha! i actually cried last night and this morning and i cant remember the last time anything made me cry!

i will try the baking soda and pepto bismo. i havent had gingerale since my diagnose's cause i read it had caramel colouring and that it can contain gluten. Please correct me if i'm wrong and thank you so much for your suggestions and support!

patti-ann Newbie

i just want to say thank you to all of you that are so experienced with this disease.. to take your time to read these posts and actually reply! You have no idea what it means to me and anyone else new to this! Out of 9 kids...im the only one so far diagnosed..but my uncle has it and he found out 20 years ago! my hemotolagist figued i have had it all my life and i'm now 38! my mom said well that explains why you were anemic as a child and wouldnt eat as i always complained of stomach pains. i was so chronically fatiqued that i went to a natural path for help as for the last three years i complained to my doctor with my symptons especially the nausea and all she said was "wow thats wierd" anyways after talking to natural path for two hours she said you need to get tested for celiac! so back to family doctor! tested and positive..off to hemotolagist and i have non traceable IGA which he figured because ive had it so long it undiagnosed that it did that much damage!!! i was so relieved at the time to find out and all i had to do was adjust my diet! now i realize how hard that is! its not like most people who go gluten free to loose weight...and occasionally have that little cheeseburger to cheat and have no reactions from it. this is totally different and a challenge to maintain! thank you for the support it means the world to me! :)

squirmingitch Veteran

patti-ann, We DO know what it means to you & anyone else new to this....... Remember, WE were once new to this too --- each & every one of us! And there were those veterans here who helped each of us when we came on posting just like you. We do this to help new people the same way we were helped. I think most of us call this "paying it forward". And we just plain care. There is a very steep learning curve (like climbing Mt. Everest! biggrin.gif) to all of this & without the help of others it would have taken us a very long time with hundreds of mistakes to get it right. And we know the stress factor involved. We've all been there, done that --- we get it!

Your story of your family history as well as your own long journey of non diagnosis is unfortunately all too familiar.

Know that you can ask any questions here & there are NO dumb questions. Also, from time to time we all feel the need to vent, rant, rave or just plain cry. It's all allowed here. We will listen & vent, rant, rave & cry with you.

And WELCOME TO THE BOARD!smile.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

patti-ann Newbie

well... im right on schedule! its tuesday morning and the vomiting has set in. does anyone else get this symptom? its like a morning sickness :( there is nothing in my stomach except for byle and a little coffee and this always happens around the 3rd day after injusting the gluten!

thank you to both of you for your input! i was so upset posting this i didnt realize how many grammer errors i had. haha! i actually cried last night and this morning and i cant remember the last time anything made me cry!

i will try the baking soda and pepto bismo. i havent had gingerale since my diagnose's cause i read it had caramel colouring and that it can contain gluten. Please correct me if i'm wrong and thank you so much for your suggestions and support!

The choice is really up to you.

Here is a link and quote from an article I found. I drink Zevia Ginger Ale because it is all natural.

Open Original Shared Link

Food productsUnder the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act any packaged food sold in the United States and regulated by the FDA, including imported foods, must state on the label if an ingredient contains protein from wheat. If you see the words

well... im right on schedule! its tuesday morning and the vomiting has set in. does anyone else get this symptom? its like a morning sickness :( there is nothing in my stomach except for byle and a little coffee and this always happens around the 3rd day after injusting the gluten!

For me, nausea is expected directly the morning after. I call it my glutening hangover lol. Like the others said. You will feel overwhelmed at times and you have to get around the learning curve but you will get there. Just do as much research as you can and do not eat anything, drink anything unless you know it is gluten free and contamination free.

squirmingitch Veteran

The best way to avoid a glutening until you learn the ins & outs is to eat whole foods ONLY. That is recommended anyway to give your gut time to heal. AND it takes a lot of anxiety & stress off you to not worry about every little thing you put in your mouth.

And this is a GREAT help to get you started:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

nvsmom Community Regular

i just want to say thank you to all of you that are so experienced with this disease.. to take your time to read these posts and actually reply! You have no idea what it means to me and anyone else new to this! Out of 9 kids...im the only one so far diagnosed..but my uncle has it and he found out 20 years ago! my hemotolagist figued i have had it all my life and i'm now 38! my mom said well that explains why you were anemic as a child and wouldnt eat as i always complained of stomach pains. i was so chronically fatiqued that i went to a natural path for help as for the last three years i complained to my doctor with my symptons especially the nausea and all she said was "wow thats wierd" anyways after talking to natural path for two hours she said you need to get tested for celiac! so back to family doctor! tested and positive..off to hemotolagist and i have non traceable IGA which he figured because ive had it so long it undiagnosed that it did that much damage!!! i was so relieved at the time to find out and all i had to do was adjust my diet! now i realize how hard that is! its not like most people who go gluten free to loose weight...and occasionally have that little cheeseburger to cheat and have no reactions from it. this is totally different and a challenge to maintain! thank you for the support it means the world to me! :)

I'm right there with you too. I'm 38 and have also had this my entire life, and my doctors never figured it out...To be honest, after having my symptoms dismissed as a child, I stopped complaining about it; what was the point, right? I just found out that I have it on both sides of the family, and one of the cases was known for over 20 years. It's a shame people couldn't put it together. :(

I also have friends who chose to go gluten-free for no medical reason. I actually had one friend say, "welocome to our world" in such a manner that 3 weeks later it's still bugging me.

(((HUGS))) You can do it! And I really hope you are starting to feel better.

patti-ann Newbie

I'm right there with you too. I'm 38 and have also had this my entire life, and my doctors never figured it out...To be honest, after having my symptoms dismissed as a child, I stopped complaining about it; what was the point, right? I just found out that I have it on both sides of the family, and one of the cases was known for over 20 years. It's a shame people couldn't put it together. :(

I also have friends who chose to go gluten-free for no medical reason. I actually had one friend say, "welocome to our world" in such a manner that 3 weeks later it's still bugging me.

That is so true.... i did stop complaining about it! I have a sister who is full of energy and always the life of the party and i remember saying to my mom a few weeks before i found out about celiac... "i wish i could be more like her, but i don't even have the energy to carry on a conversation" but i am improving and hopefully after a few more months I will see benefits.

i read on one of the posts about avoiding "lactose"? i think this is an avenue i should try!

Is it true.... that most people with celiac gain weight when they go gluten free? I hope this is not true :angry:

patti-ann Newbie

AND..... it would bug me too having a friend say "welcome to our world" just because "by Choice" they are gluten free..... I'm sure every now and then they cheat and "thats ok" cause they won't feel sick! Its not the same at all! That would be frustrating!

squirmingitch Veteran

Well, as to "most ppl with celiac gain weight after going gluten-free" ---- hmmmmm...... --- depends on where you read that or heard it & in what context they are speaking.

Perspective patti-ann, perspective. The "general thought" is that celiacs are emaciated b/c of the celiac malabsorbtion. So, it follows that when they heal they will be absorbing nutrients & thus gain weight. Take me for instance; I've always been "skinny" (HATE that word!) --- I've been gluten-free for almost 8 months & I just gained 2 of the lbs. back of the 5 that I lost 7 years ago. So now I weigh a whole, whopping 101 lbs. for a 5'1.5" gal. Geez! If I don't watch out I might get FAT.wink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

But not all celiacs were skinny & wasting away. Malabsorbtion is malabsorbtion & it can also make everything you put in your mouth turn to body fat. We have loads of celiacs on this board who were told by docs they couldn't possibly be celiac b/c they were fat. But that is untrue! And some of them gained weight after going gluten-free but I think most of them have lost it once they heal & their body balances things out. I will let others chime in on this subject.

Roda Rising Star

Well, I was overweight by about 20 pounds or so when I was diagnosed. Since diagnosis I have gained more weight. I don't think it is the gluten free diet that has made me gain weight though. I also have a thyroid problem, don't get enough exercise and work night shift which I feel has contributed to the weight gain considerably.

patti-ann Newbie

Well, as to "most ppl with celiac gain weight after going gluten-free" ---- hmmmmm...... --- depends on where you read that or heard it & in what context they are speaking.

Perspective patti-ann, perspective. The "general thought" is that celiacs are emaciated b/c of the celiac malabsorbtion. So, it follows that when they heal they will be absorbing nutrients & thus gain weight. Take me for instance; I've always been "skinny" (HATE that word!) --- I've been gluten-free for almost 8 months & I just gained 2 of the lbs. back of the 5 that I lost 7 years ago. So now I weigh a whole, whopping 101 lbs. for a 5'1.5" gal. Geez! If I don't watch out I might get FAT.wink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

But not all celiacs were skinny & wasting away. Malabsorbtion is malabsorbtion & it can also make everything you put in your mouth turn to body fat. We have loads of celiacs on this board who were told by docs they couldn't possibly be celiac b/c they were fat. But that is untrue! And some of them gained weight after going gluten-free but I think most of them have lost it once they heal & their body balances things out. I will let others chime in on this subject.

"Squirmingitch" you make me laugh!!!! "perspective patti-ann perspective" lol

Your also very informative! I'm not sure if it was your post regarding the "whole foods" suggestion but did you try this in the beginning and does it really speed things up? and what exactly does it consists of? This week i found brown rice pasta... and its like an angel hair noodle!! It's been like Manna from Heaven for me, however i think it may be plugging me up and causing me to hold water. :(

patti-ann Newbie

Well, I was overweight by about 20 pounds or so when I was diagnosed. Since diagnosis I have gained more weight. I don't think it is the gluten free diet that has made me gain weight though. I also have a thyroid problem, don't get enough exercise and work night shift which I feel has contributed to the weight gain considerably.

Wow! thats alot of challenges!!! my husband wanted to go to the pub last night!!! Not a great option to find gluten free food but i was able to order a grilled chicken breast served on lettuce! (but i was still hungry and was starring at his fries and gravy with drool dripping down my chin) And all i could think of was... "for the way that i eat now.. i should have certainly lost weight".. but NO! 4 gluten free months later and weight has gone up! sucks!

squirmingitch Veteran

Whole foods mean nothing processed like the noodles you had. Fresh meats, fresh or frozen fruits & veggies but that means the kind that isn't already cooked & has no sauces, spices etc.... IE: a bag of brocolli, a bag of blueberries or just get the real thing fresh & enjoy! Nuts, organic nut butters such as peanut, cashew, sunflower seed butter. And yes, I did do this in the beginning. But I have dh --- dermatitis herpetiformis which is celiac rash --- we tend not to have so much GI issues & not as severe when we do have them --- instead we get itchy lesions on our skin which make it a challenge to keep from grabbing the .38 & ending the itch for good! But I've been around here long enough to read others experience with the whole foods & YES! those who do get the GI issues report faster results from whole foods in the beginning. Also, celiacs can tend to get other food sensitivities for a while & the whole foods keeps things easier to keep track of(keep a food log) & then you add one food per week & see how you react; then another & so forth. Most of us are in such a hurry we skip those important steps & then find ourselves reacting to something but we can't figure out what b/c we got too big for our britches & tried to rush things & added lots of foods at one time. I did that & I so wish I had added one food per week & been a good girl about taking it slow & easy. I really do.

BTW, it's interesting that after about the 4th or 5th month I tried gluten-free processed foods & every time I try them I get GI issues.rolleyes.gif This lets me know my gut is not as healed as I might think it was ORRRRR that processed foods just plain aren't good for us no matter if they're gluten-free or not. OR both!

So try not to be stubborn & hard headed like me.tongue.gif

patti-ann Newbie

Whole foods mean nothing processed like the noodles you had. Fresh meats, fresh or frozen fruits & veggies but that means the kind that isn't already cooked & has no sauces, spices etc.... IE: a bag of brocolli, a bag of blueberries or just get the real thing fresh & enjoy! Nuts, organic nut butters such as peanut, cashew, sunflower seed butter. And yes, I did do this in the beginning. But I have dh --- dermatitis herpetiformis which is celiac rash --- we tend not to have so much GI issues & not as severe when we do have them --- instead we get itchy lesions on our skin which make it a challenge to keep from grabbing the .38 & ending the itch for good! But I've been around here long enough to read others experience with the whole foods & YES! those who do get the GI issues report faster results from whole foods in the beginning. Also, celiacs can tend to get other food sensitivities for a while & the whole foods keeps things easier to keep track of(keep a food log) & then you add one food per week & see how you react; then another & so forth. Most of us are in such a hurry we skip those important steps & then find ourselves reacting to something but we can't figure out what b/c we got too big for our britches & tried to rush things & added lots of foods at one time. I did that & I so wish I had added one food per week & been a good girl about taking it slow & easy. I really do.

BTW, it's interesting that after about the 4th or 5th month I tried gluten-free processed foods & every time I try them I get GI issues.rolleyes.gif This lets me know my gut is not as healed as I might think it was ORRRRR that processed foods just plain aren't good for us no matter if they're gluten-free or not. OR both!

So try not to be stubborn & hard headed like me.tongue.gif

What about rice? Jasmine or basmati?

squirmingitch Veteran

You should be fine with rice. The brown rice might or might not be too much for you right now as it's more difficult to digest. But rice is okay. You can even try the brown & see what happens. Just don't do any processed foods for a good long while. Some say 3 months, I would say 4 months to be safer. During that time read on here & you will learn a plethora of things. This will keep you from making mistakes which cause you to have to backtrack & loose ground. You also will have sooooo much more confidence about what you're doing when you shop & get into other foods. And dairy is okay too as long as you can handle it. Many celiacs have to cut dairy though for a time until your gut heals enough to handle processing the lactose. And I will warn you about soy --- lots, & lots of us have big problems with soy & soy is in a ton of things. Oh, & you can have Larabars --- they really don't qualify as a processed food as they are simply dried fruit & nuts; great for sticking in your purse & glove compartment for when you get caught out & hungry & they are yummy too! ALWAYS take some snack food along with you --- throw an apple in your bag or a hard boiled egg, nuts --- stuff like that.

NOW, I don't want to freak you out but I'm going to tell you to expect this & that way you'll know what it is when it happens to you if it happens to you. Gluten withdrawal. It's real. There IS such a thing. A few people get off w/o ever having it but most have to go through it. If you put it in the search box for the site you will come up with hundreds of threads about it. Symptoms include an "out there feeling" or brain fog, sort of dizzy, irritable to downright angry, fatigue, feeling like you have blood sugar problems among other things. Also, most get raving hunger & I mean raving! Constant eating. This is normal. Your body is trying to make up for what it hasn't had while battling gluten. It wants to repair itself, it wants to get nutrition. Don't worry about weight gain. Your body NEEDS to eat. So eat! I ate ALL THE TIME! I literally would vacuum with one hand while eating an apple with the other. EAT. You NEED it.

You will also find yourself needing more protein; especially in the mornings. Protein load but also with some fat so you process the protein. It's almost like you need to turn your meals upside down & have dinner for breakfast & breakfast for dinner.

And as far as carbs such as apples --- go ahead & have some fat with those carbs too --- apple slices with nut butter on them --- get it? Or an apple but also have a handful of nuts.

Oh, & patti ann, read this. It will really be a great help:

patti-ann Newbie

You should be fine with rice. The brown rice might or might not be too much for you right now as it's more difficult to digest. But rice is okay. You can even try the brown & see what happens. Just don't do any processed foods for a good long while. Some say 3 months, I would say 4 months to be safer. During that time read on here & you will learn a plethora of things. This will keep you from making mistakes which cause you to have to backtrack & loose ground. You also will have sooooo much more confidence about what you're doing when you shop & get into other foods. And dairy is okay too as long as you can handle it. Many celiacs have to cut dairy though for a time until your gut heals enough to handle processing the lactose. And I will warn you about soy --- lots, & lots of us have big problems with soy & soy is in a ton of things. Oh, & you can have Larabars --- they really don't qualify as a processed food as they are simply dried fruit & nuts; great for sticking in your purse & glove compartment for when you get caught out & hungry & they are yummy too! ALWAYS take some snack food along with you --- throw an apple in your bag or a hard boiled egg, nuts --- stuff like that.

NOW, I don't want to freak you out but I'm going to tell you to expect this & that way you'll know what it is when it happens to you if it happens to you. Gluten withdrawal. It's real. There IS such a thing. A few people get off w/o ever having it but most have to go through it. If you put it in the search box for the site you will come up with hundreds of threads about it. Symptoms include an "out there feeling" or brain fog, sort of dizzy, irritable to downright angry, fatigue, feeling like you have blood sugar problems among other things. Also, most get raving hunger & I mean raving! Constant eating. This is normal. Your body is trying to make up for what it hasn't had while battling gluten. It wants to repair itself, it wants to get nutrition. Don't worry about weight gain. Your body NEEDS to eat. So eat! I ate ALL THE TIME! I literally would vacuum with one hand while eating an apple with the other. EAT. You NEED it.

You will also find yourself needing more protein; especially in the mornings. Protein load but also with some fat so you process the protein. It's almost like you need to turn your meals upside down & have dinner for breakfast & breakfast for dinner.

And as far as carbs such as apples --- go ahead & have some fat with those carbs too --- apple slices with nut butter on them --- get it? Or an apple but also have a handful of nuts.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!!!

GOOD NEWS..... Ive been over a week without any accidents. :D im starting to feel and look better! thank you for your help and guidance from everyone who take time to post.

i still feel like theres a bit of a storm brewing down there and waist line hasn't shrunk any but sticking with the whole foods has helped. i also liked the post about thinking about "what you can eat & not what you can't" that certainly helped with my personal "pity party"!

it has been a rough 4 months with trying to be gluten free and having so many accidents. Having the advice from you guys has certainly been a support. I think im on the right track now!

Thank you!!!

I will prepare myself for the "gluten withdrawal" symptons. Im pretty sure ive gone through some of them but will prepare for the worst!

squirmingitch Veteran

We're here any time you need us. Glad you're back on track!smile.gif

• 5 months later...
patti-ann Newbie

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

"squiming itch"

IM STARVING NOW!!! i literally get hunger pains all the time. i cry because food is not accessable when im out. i pack food everyday when i go work but when i have to go out unexpected like a funeral this week two hours from home it was so hard finding gluten free food in a rush only had two hours between visitations to eat. finally found thai restaruant that made me rice and chicken but the time it was delivered and i sat watching everyone eat.... we had to head back to funeral home. thank god i did order a chicken skewer so i could eat it in the car... but i find it embarresing, inconvenient and frustrating and so depressing!!! i never expected these hunger pains thank you for giving me a heads up!!! will this subside or is it part of my life now... would b-12 shots help or vitiman suppliments?

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Greetings Patt-iAnn,

When I went to the doctor with my genetic test in hand my doctor said that I looked 5 months pregnant. Indeed I did. I had also been asked several times when my baby was due, when I was not pregnant. Now, I have a reasonable answer to that; I am just bloated by celiac.

I am 6 months grain free and am starting to deflate.

I went through times of intense hunger like you described. I also have times where I am not hungry for several days and force myself to eat. I treat my celiac with supplements, excercise, and sunshine. My diet is of notable importance. You mentioned B12 and a sublingual B12 has been working for me. I am improving and am so glad that I found out what the problem was and it can be helped.

Diana

Archived