This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Condiments, Sauces Etc.

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Okay so this is the start of the thread for homemade sauces and condiments and such. So toss your best at the board. Have at it. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I do homemade teriyaki sauce. Soy sauce, mirin, ginger, and pineapple juice. Cook down until thickened (as much as you want it thickened. (I make this without cooking, marinate stuff in it, then cook the leftover marinade down. Marinade cooks down while chicken grills, though takes some attention, so doesn't have to add much time to making dinner.)

love2travel Mentor

Will post lots 'n lots after church. As I mentioned on the other thread, I make my own:

- vanilla extract

- ketchups, mustards, barbecue sauces

- salsas, chutneys, marmalades, jellies, jams, conserves

- all sauces including tomato

- all vinaigrettes (I never, ever buy any of these things)

- seasoning blends (I buy spices whole, roast and grind myself)

- flavoured oils and vinegars

You name it, I make it. Even things such as nutella and sriracha and infused simple syrups. I don't make my own fish sauce or Worcestershire, though. :P

love2travel Mentor

Vanilla Extract

4-6 vanilla beans, scraped

8-10 ounces Brandy, Vodka or Bourbon

Super easy. Just scrape the seeds out of the beans and add to a clean jar. Throw in the beans and top up with alcohol. Let sit about 6 weeks before using. Then whenever you use vanilla bean seeds, throw in the bean. Top up with alcohol - you can continue doing this indefinitely.

Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce

(I double this)

2/3 cup tomato paste

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup unsulfured molasses

1/4 cup aple cider vinegar

2 T chili powder (I make my own so I know what's in it and it's just fun!)

2 T light corn syrup

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1 clove garlic, minced

1 t onion powder

1 t salt

1 t freshly-ground black pepper

1/2 t cayenne

Whisk all together in medium saucepan on medium heat and stir until dissolved. Then simmer 10 minutes or until thickened.

*You can reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup or omit it and add 1/4 cup maple syrup instead.

Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese sauce for use on wraps or anything Thai or Korean)

1/3 c sugar

1 c very warm tap water

1/4 c Asian fish sauce

1 T freshly-squeezed lime juice

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 t red pepper flakes

In small bowl, combine the sugar with the water. Stir until the sugar dissolved. Add rest. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

Soy Vinegar Dipping Sauce

1/4 c soy sauce

3 T unseasoned rice vinegar

1 1/2 t sugar

1 t toasted sesame oil

2-3 slices fresh jalapeno or pinch red pepper flakes

Stir all together. Keep in fridge 1 week with fresh jalapeno and 2 weeks with red pepper flakes.

Savoury Miso Glaze or Marinade

1/3 c sake

1/3 c mirin

1/4 c sugar

2/3 c yellow or white miso paste

In small pan bring the sake, mirin and sugar to a simmer. Whisk in miso and simmer until thicker, about 3 min. Cool before using as a marinade. Delicious with shrimp, scallops, cod, etc.

Vanilla Extract

4-6 vanilla beans, scraped

8-10 ounces Brandy, Vodka or Bourbon

Super easy. Just scrape the seeds out of the beans and add to a clean jar. Throw in the beans and top up with alcohol. Let sit about 6 weeks before using. Then whenever you use vanilla bean seeds, throw in the bean. Top up with alcohol - you can continue doing this indefinitely.

Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce

(I double this)

2/3 cup tomato paste

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup unsulfured molasses

1/4 cup aple cider vinegar

2 T chili powder (I make my own so I know what's in it and it's just fun!)

2 T light corn syrup

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1 clove garlic, minced

1 t onion powder

1 t salt

1 t freshly-ground black pepper

1/2 t cayenne

Whisk all together in medium saucepan on medium heat and stir until dissolved. Then simmer 10 minutes or until thickened.

*You can reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup or omit it and add 1/4 cup maple syrup instead.

Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese sauce for use on wraps or anything Thai or Korean)

1/3 c sugar

1 c very warm tap water

1/4 c Asian fish sauce

1 T freshly-squeezed lime juice

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 t red pepper flakes

In small bowl, combine the sugar with the water. Stir until the sugar dissolved. Add rest. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

Soy Vinegar Dipping Sauce

1/4 c soy sauce

3 T unseasoned rice vinegar

1 1/2 t sugar

1 t toasted sesame oil

2-3 slices fresh jalapeno or pinch red pepper flakes

Stir all together. Keep in fridge 1 week with fresh jalapeno and 2 weeks with red pepper flakes.

Savoury Miso Glaze or Marinade

1/3 c sake

1/3 c mirin

1/4 c sugar

2/3 c yellow or white miso paste

In small pan bring the sake, mirin and sugar to a simmer. Whisk in miso and simmer until thicker, about 3 min. Cool before using as a marinade. Delicious with shrimp, scallops, cod, etc.

Mmm yummy. Thanks soooo much love2travel! I can't wait to use these recipes. :-)

love2travel Mentor

Mmm yummy. Thanks soooo much love2travel! I can't wait to use these recipes. :-)

Just you wait - this is only the very beginning! I have about 983,501,327 more where those came from. :P

Just you wait - this is only the very beginning! I have about 983,501,327 more where those came from. :P

Hehehe. Honestly if i weren't a Christian and there wasn't a God I would make you my food goddess lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

How about "Food Angel"?

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

YAHOO!!!!! Can't wait!!! ?

cahill Collaborator

Anyone have a good non mayo based dressing recipe for cole slaw?

Or a non mayo dressing for tuna fish?

love2travel Mentor

Anyone have a good non mayo based dressing recipe for cole slaw?

Or a non mayo dressing for tuna fish?

Are you interested in a vinegar-based recipe for coleslaw?

And how about a lemon caper vinaigrette for the tuna? (It is luscious and thick.)

This is a very good coleslaw recipe...

Open Original Shared Link

And the caper vinaigrette that also tastes great on veg and seafood...

Open Original Shared Link

love2travel Mentor

How about "Food Angel"?

I really like the way you think. :lol:

How about "Food Angel"?

Yeah that would be earthly perfect.

love2travel Mentor

Yeah that would be earthly perfect.

Yes, it would. ;)

squirmingitch Veteran

I am thoroughly enjoying reading these recipes love2. And as soon as I don't have these low iodine, low sal restrictions I'm going to go NUTS making these things & eating food with lots, & lots of flavor!tongue.gif

Thanks Razzle for starting this thread.smile.gif

love2, I saw on the blooming onion thread where you said Worcestershire sauce -- the gluten free one. What do you mean by that? Do you make your own? Or is there a gluten-free one & a non gluten-free one?

love2travel Mentor

I am thoroughly enjoying reading these recipes love2. And as soon as I don't have these low iodine, low sal restrictions I'm going to go NUTS making these things & eating food with lots, & lots of flavor!tongue.gif

love2, I saw on the blooming onion thread where you said Worcestershire sauce -- the gluten free one. What do you mean by that? Do you make your own? Or is there a gluten-free one & a non gluten-free one?

I'm so glad! We eat extremely flavourful stuff nearly every day of the week. So glad you don't have those restrictions.

Oh, the reason for the gluten-free Worcestershire is that Lea & Perrins in Canada does contain gluten but it does not in the U.S.

I do homemade teriyaki sauce. Soy sauce, mirin, ginger, and pineapple juice. Cook down until thickened (as much as you want it thickened. (I make this without cooking, marinate stuff in it, then cook the leftover marinade down. Marinade cooks down while chicken grills, though takes some attention, so doesn't have to add much time to making dinner.)

Lol I have a lot more new products and things to add to my cooking vocabulary, like mirin. I have no idea what that is. I so wish I didn't grow up eating canned stuff all my life. Why?! My poor stomach got the scraps of American living and has retaliated.

Hey squirmy, this thread wouldn't have been started if it weren't for love2 offering her recipes. I am glad everyone, including yourself, is enjoying and has excitement over this thread though.

love2travel Mentor

Basic Brine for Pork and Poultry

8 cups water

1 c chopped sweet onion

4-6 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 c kosher salt (this is really important - salts weigh differently from one another)

1/2 c firmly packed dark brown sugar

1 T fresh thyme

1 T fresh rosemary, finely chopped

1 t hot paprika

3 or 4 bay leaves

3 or 4 juniper berries (optional but I LOVE them)

To open up the flabour of the onions and garlic, place 1 cup of the water, onions and garlic in food pro or blender. Process.

In large saucepan over medium, combine the rest and bring to boil for 10 minutes, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar. Decrease heat and simmer 30 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool to room temp (this is crucial - you do not want to cook the protein!) then refrigerate until cold before adding the food.

I make a mean apple cider brine as well as a maple bourbon one. If interested just ask.

Tangerine Pink Peppercorn Marinade for Seafood or Fish

juice of 6 tangerines (1 cup)

1 t grated tangerine zest

juice of 1 lemon

1 1/2 t honey

1 t coarsely crushed coriander seeds, (I dry roast first to bring out flavour)

2 t coarsely crushed pink peppercorns

1 t freshly ground black pepper

1 T chopped fresh dill

Combine all. Marinate seafood 3-4 hours, no more.

*You can replace the tangerine juice with lime and add some fresh gingerroot and 1 T soy sauce. Drizzle in a touch of olive oil.

Apple Cider Vinegar - this is one of my very favourites, especially with pork.

I have thousands (I am not kidding) or marinade recipes including:

Red Wine Marinade for Beef

Rum-Rosemary

Hazelnut-Galliano

Basic Rub for Meat and Poultry

2 T hot paprika

1 T cayenne

1 t dried thyme

1 t dried oregano

1 t freshly ground black pepper

1 t coarse-grain salt

1 T garlic powder

1 T onion powder

Combine all. Rub into meat and cook. Keeps in freezer several months.

Apricot Glaze (great with pork especially but also for seafood and poultry)

1/2 c diced dried apricots

1 c Brandy, white wine or fresh orange juice

1/2 c apricot preserves

1/2 c white wine vinegar

3 T fruit or whole-grain Dijon mustard

1 T soy

1/2 t coarse-grain salt

1 t coarsely-ground black pepper

In pan simmer apricots in the wine or juice or Brandy 20 min. Add preserves and vinegar. Simmer until preserves are dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temp.

In blender or food pro blend all. Cool. Store in fridge 3 weeks. Warm over medium heat to use.

Maple Pomegranate Glaze (esp. poultry and pork)

1/2 c maple syrup

1/4 c pomegranate molasses

1/3 c light olive oil

Combine all in blender or food pro. Process. Store 3 weeks in fridge.

Maple Bourbon Glaze - one of my favourites esp. with pork and shrimp

1/2 c maple syrup

1/2 c bourbon

1/2 c cider vinegar

grated zest and juice 2 oranges

1 T dark brown sugar

1/4 c brown or yellow mustard

1/4 t cayenne

1/4 c soy

Simmer about 30 min. until reduced to 1 cup. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks.

4 c apple cider

1/4 c cider vinegar

1 T Dijon mustard

1 T apple butter or honey

1 t coarsely ground black pepper

1 t coarsely ground mustard seeds

2 shallots, diced

1 t coarse-grain salt

1/4 c grapeseed or olive oil

Bring apple cider to boil in nonreactive pan and reduce to 1 1/2 cups. Cool to room temp.

Combine rest except oil in blender or food pro. While running, drizzle in oil. This marinade freezes well with food for up to 3 months.

Will post more tomorrow! :)

justlisa Apprentice

Love2travel... Awesome...just awesome!

• 11 months later...
Adalaide Mentor

Okay, so somehow we all ended up forgetting about this and becoming totally side tracked. I was looking at like 4134895145 recipes for ketchup online then it suddenly occurred to me that instead of making something and shooting in the dark at something that may or may not suck I should ask our resident expert!

love2travel Mentor

Okay, so somehow we all ended up forgetting about this and becoming totally side tracked. I was looking at like 4134895145 recipes for ketchup online then it suddenly occurred to me that instead of making something and shooting in the dark at something that may or may not suck I should ask our resident expert!

Hey! What flavour profile are you looking for? I make lots 'n lots to eat with different stuff.

Adalaide Mentor

Well... I was looking first for a general all purpose type to see how it works out. The sort of thing I can have for the summer, burgers, fries, tots. Just sort of get my feet wet and see how I do. I grew up with Heinz, and I know that whatever I make at home will bear as much resemblance to that as an okapi does to a giraffe. But I'm adventurous and sick of buying junk I can make myself. (Says the person who bought goldfish puffs. :ph34r:)

kareng Grand Master

I know that whatever I make at home will bear as much resemblance to that as an okapi does to a giraffe.

Hey!  They both have 4 legs. long skinny faces, big ears & big long black tongues!

Adalaide Mentor

More purple. And okapis are giraffes closest relatives. They're like funky tropical giraffe cousins. Still, as much as they're like each other... they're not too. (An okapi would make a far more practical home pet due to its smaller size. I've put a lot of thought into these things.)

Archived