This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Do It?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I am a super sensitive celiac who reacts to trace gluten. With that said, I can't seem to tolerate anything labeled gluten free anymore. I use to be able to enjoy Chex, Frito Lay products, Betty Crocker mixes, pizza crust mix, dairy and chocolate, etc. You get the drift.

I have developed a severe reaction to corn and all of the mixes have corn in them or I react to them.

I am really getting tired of eating only meat, fruit and veg. I eat nothing else. I drink black coffee and water only. Heck, even some spices make me react.

It's gotten really bad to the point where I will cry if I see a commercial on TV for ice cream or pizza. I canceled all of my magazine subscriptions because half of the magazine is about food that I can't eat. I don't really enjoy TV or movies anymore because they are always eating pizza or doughnuts or just being so carefree about food. I'm going to a Birthday party this weekend that is a pizza party. Pizza and cake. I know I can bring my own but it's driving me crazy. Literally.

I am a totally depressed about this. I don't know how to pull myself out of it.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

MO

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IrishHeart Veteran

Mo,

My heart is breaking for you, honey. I can almost feel your sadness and I wish I knew WHY you are having so much trouble with so many foods, even the ones you prepare yourself. It just seems so restrictive for you and I am sure it is very depressing to feel like you have so few options.

I have a few foods I do not tolerate well at all and I also have to be careful which certified G F products I use, but it is certainly not as bad as what you are experiencing.

Can you use any of the paleo-type recipes on Elana Amsterdam's website? she is a celiac and also, DF and grain free. No corn, no rice.

Can you do almond flour?

Just a suggestion. Her banana bread and pumpkin bread recipes are very good.

Have you tried CHEBE pizza and bread/roll mixes? free of all allergens and NO grains.

How about Against the Grain products? Pizza crust?

Dedicated facilities. No grains at all.

(if you have already tried these, sorry for the repeat info)

kareng Grand Master

I'm not super sensitive or have as many intolerances as you, but I can relate. Sometimes, I just don't go if it would make me sad.

Hub has been taking the boys, and meeting up with his brother and his kids and wife, at various bar/restauraunts in town. I am welcome to come and have a glass of wine or other adult beverage. But I can't stand to watch them eat stuff I liked to eat! These are the kinds of places you can't explain you don't want cheese on the burger....so gluten-free would be impossible.

Sometimes, I don't mind and bring my own or eat first. If you feel you must go, hopefully you can bring something you really like.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks to you both. It's so hard. Celiac is so isolating for me. My "friends" have all dumped me. I am the only married woman on my street without kids and I feel like a freak with these food issues.

Irish, thanks. I am ok with foods that I make myself if I stick with meat, veg and fruit. If I add anything else I get sick. The big problem is corn. It's in everything and anything. I can't have any condiments no rice (enrichment is from corn) I eat eggs every single day for breakfast b/c all of the cereals vitamins are from corn. Udi's - corn. Corn corn corn.

I am allergic to all nuts so almond flour is out. I will check out those other products that you mentioned. I am in a small town and all I have in my store are the betty crocker stuff and bisquick which I can't have. I'd have to order them from amazon which I have done in the past but if they dont work out, I am stuck with 10 boxes of the stuff and out like 40-60 dollars.

Thanks for the help.

IrishHeart Veteran

PM me with your address and I will mail you a box of CHEBE to try so you do not have to buy anything in bulk.

I mean it. I am happy to do it!! I've done this before and it is no trouble at all!

Honey, you are not a "freak".

I suggest you find a celiac support group (I mean besides all of us on here :) ) so you can have someone to talk with.

You need to have some support so you stop feeling so isolated.

okay?

IrishHeart Veteran

Can you eat Pocono buckwheat? No corn.

kareng Grand Master

Chebe

Open Original Shared Link

I have gotten them at HyVee, Hen House and Price Chopper. You know how that goes though. They don't have them this week but have them next week.

You might have to make a shopping trip to KC.

Ginny - have you made the Chebe without the cheese? I have heard you can, but haven't tried it. My boys (hub included) love the foccacia as pizza crust and the breadsticks. I usually use asiago cheese in them. I think the breadsticks would be good without. I put olive oil and garlic salt on them when they are halfway cooked.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks Irish! I appreciate it so much!!

I live in the same area as kareng but out on the boonies. I think i'll drive into the city this weekend and see what I can find. If I can't find it, I'll take you up on your offer. :)

Thanks Karen!

Can you make cake or anything out of the chebe?

Gemini Experienced

I am a super sensitive celiac who reacts to trace gluten. With that said, I can't seem to tolerate anything labeled gluten free anymore. I use to be able to enjoy Chex, Frito Lay products, Betty Crocker mixes, pizza crust mix, dairy and chocolate, etc. You get the drift.

I have developed a severe reaction to corn and all of the mixes have corn in them or I react to them.

I am really getting tired of eating only meat, fruit and veg. I eat nothing else. I drink black coffee and water only. Heck, even some spices make me react.

It's gotten really bad to the point where I will cry if I see a commercial on TV for ice cream or pizza. I canceled all of my magazine subscriptions because half of the magazine is about food that I can't eat. I don't really enjoy TV or movies anymore because they are always eating pizza or doughnuts or just being so carefree about food. I'm going to a Birthday party this weekend that is a pizza party. Pizza and cake. I know I can bring my own but it's driving me crazy. Literally.

I am a totally depressed about this. I don't know how to pull myself out of it.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

MO

This is why I have little patience with people who complain about the gluten-free diet. Being sensitive to corn must be the hardest thing ever because, yes, corn is in EVERYTHING! People with multiple food issues have the right to complain loudly because it's so hard to find something to eat that's different than the usual whole foods stuff.

I think you have the right to not go to any social gathering where food is such a big part of it. But that will only isolate you further. The Chebe bread is awesome and it's just cassava. You will scarf the whole pack down when you make them. ;) I love Chebe and it makes a mighty fine pizza crust also.

Have you been tested for any other problems that might cause such distress with foods? Colitis? Or are you just terribly unlucky on the food front? I feel some of your pain because I cannot tolerate more than a couple of mouthfuls if ice cream. Dairy just makes me miserable. So.....no ice cream, puddings. etc., etc., etc. Sucks. I am used to it but people eat so much ice cream at work, they can't fathom why I sit there and eat nothing. They have ice cream socials at work all the time.

What about the 123 Gluten Free line of mixes? They are free of all 8 allergens. Very good too. The spice cake one is yummy!

GFreeMO Proficient

This is why I have little patience with people who complain about the gluten-free diet. Being sensitive to corn must be the hardest thing ever because, yes, corn is in EVERYTHING! People with multiple food issues have the right to complain loudly because it's so hard to find something to eat that's different than the usual whole foods stuff.

I think you have the right to not go to any social gathering where food is such a big part of it. But that will only isolate you further. The Chebe bread is awesome and it's just cassava. You will scarf the whole pack down when you make them. ;) I love Chebe and it makes a mighty fine pizza crust also.

Have you been tested for any other problems that might cause such distress with foods? Colitis? Or are you just terribly unlucky on the food front? I feel some of your pain because I cannot tolerate more than a couple of mouthfuls if ice cream. Dairy just makes me miserable. So.....no ice cream, puddings. etc., etc., etc. Sucks. I am used to it but people eat so much ice cream at work, they can't fathom why I sit there and eat nothing. They have ice cream socials at work all the time.

What about the 123 Gluten Free line of mixes? They are free of all 8 allergens. Very good too. The spice cake one is yummy!

There is nothing else wrong. Just celiac and severe corn allergy. Corn actually makes me feel worse than gluten. It causes severe pain. All traces of corn. Dairy...don't get me started. The crap they put into milk..the "vitamins" is from...yep....effin corn. The label should say milk, corn. but nooooooo.

I'll check out 123 Gluten Free. Thanks!!

Gemini Experienced

There is nothing else wrong. Just celiac and severe corn allergy. Corn actually makes me feel worse than gluten. It causes severe pain. All traces of corn. Dairy...don't get me started. The crap they put into milk..the "vitamins" is from...yep....effin corn. The label should say milk, corn. but nooooooo.

I'll check out 123 Gluten Free. Thanks!!

Yup...corn is hidden in more places than gluten ever was. I think that if there are any new labeling laws, forget the emphasis on gluten. They should list ANY of the major allergens, period. All the hidden stuff too! But I don't even think corn is included in the Big 8, which is bizarre. I know many people who cannot have corn.

The 123 gluten-free mixes have a lot to choose from and all but 2 of them are corn free. Happy Eating! :D

bartfull Rising Star

Oh my sweet friend, I am so sorry! We have shared a lot over the past year because we have this same corn problem, and having gotten to know you a little bit, I ache for you.

Now I feel guilty for crowing about the corn meds I've been taking causing no reaction. Maybe if you stay on a totally grain free diet, or even go paleo for a while, you will heal enough to be able to get corn back too. I know that lately you've been getting hit hard and setting back your healing. Just stick to the foods you KNOW are safe and don't risk anything new. Give it a few months at least, and after going several months without getting glutened or corned, maybe it'll happen for you. If anyone deserves to get healthy and get a BREAK, it's you!

(((((((((((((((HUGS!!!!!)))))))))))))))

squirmingitch Veteran

Gluten-Free, you should read bartful's post entitled Wowie Zowie! --- it really is inspiring! It lets us know that we CAN & most likely WILL get foods back.

((((HUGS)))))

GFreeMO Proficient

Yes! I agree. Corn should be labeled. I too know several people who can't have corn. Makes no sense why it isn't labeled. Probably because if people knew how it was in everything, they would be outraged. Corn in milk...seriously? I read the other day that there is only one infant formula in our country that is corn free. They get them hooked young on it.

Bartful, don't feel badly. I am thrilled for you!! ~ Take it slowly though, like don't go out and have a Coke or anything. ;)

Squirming. Yes! Hopefully one day.

I need to go on the gluten free warpath! I keep getting zapped by the silliest little mistakes.

Edited for my horrible typing. :)

Gemini Experienced

Yes! I agree. Corn should be labeled. I too know several people who can't have corn. Makes no sense why it isn't labeled. Probably because if people knew how it was in everything, they would be outraged. Corn in milk...seriously? I read the other day that there is only one infant formula in our country that is corn free. They get them hooked young on it.

Bartful, don't feel badly. I am thrilled for you!! ~ Take it slowly though, like don't go out and have a Coke or anything. ;)

Squirming. Yes! Hopefully one day.

I need to go on the gluten free warpath! I keep getting zapped by the silliest little mistakes.

Edited for my horrible typing. :)

You know, even if people knew what was really in their food, they wouldn't care as long as the food is cheap. I recently had a conversation at work that drove me nuts. People were whining about the amount of hormones and other crap in food today and I did my usual and piped up that they could buy the "good" food without all that stuff and eat healthier. It is a choice issue for many. They all looked at me like I was crazy and said they would never spend that much on their food. These are people who can afford to do so but they won't. So......I told them when they got sick, don't come whining to me. You can either eat crap and risk cancer or other problems or eat healthier......choice, people, choice! Mainstream American has been spoiled by cheap, subsidized food. I give up some things so I can spend more on the food I eat. I guess they aren't willing to accept that the food does matter.

GFreeMO Proficient

You know, even if people knew what was really in their food, they wouldn't care as long as the food is cheap. I recently had a conversation at work that drove me nuts. People were whining about the amount of hormones and other crap in food today and I did my usual and piped up that they could buy the "good" food without all that stuff and eat healthier. It is a choice issue for many. They all looked at me like I was crazy and said they would never spend that much on their food. These are people who can afford to do so but they won't. So......I told them when they got sick, don't come whining to me. You can either eat crap and risk cancer or other problems or eat healthier......choice, people, choice! Mainstream American has been spoiled by cheap, subsidized food. I give up some things so I can spend more on the food I eat. I guess they aren't willing to accept that the food does matter.

I couldn't agree more!! Well said!

alex11602 Collaborator

What about one of the Namaste mixes? The website says Welcome to Namaste Foods!

Our fine foods contain no wheat, gluten, corn, soy, potato, dairy, casein, tree nuts or peanuts and are:

Giambi Newbie

I have yet to be diagnosed, but the thought of going gluten free is very depressing to me also. Especially being a HUGE beer lover. To make matters worse, I tried the new gluten free pizza from Dominos last night just to see what I might be in store for. That did nothing to eliviate my depression. It was pretty awful. :(

bartfull Rising Star

Alex, your post got me so excited I went there right away. The bread and pizza mixes have xanthan gum. For someone sensitive to corn, xanthan gum is no good because it is grown on corn and many of us are sensitive to it.

I think their claim that there is absolutely no corn is a bit misleading.

bartfull Rising Star

I have yet to be diagnosed, but the thought of going gluten free is very depressing to me also. Especially being a HUGE beer lover. To make matters worse, I tried the new gluten free pizza from Dominos last night just to see what I might be in store for. That did nothing to eliviate my depression. It was pretty awful. :(

Two things: Dominoes pizzas are pretty bad, even on their regular crust. And more importantly, their pizzas are made using the same pans, ovens, knives, etc. as their regular pizza and so they are cross contaminated and NOT gluten free.

alex11602 Collaborator

Alex, your post got me so excited I went there right away. The bread and pizza mixes have xanthan gum. For someone sensitive to corn, xanthan gum is no good because it is grown on corn and many of us are sensitive to it.

I think their claim that there is absolutely no corn is a bit misleading.

:( I'm sorry.

Although I'm curious since they say it's corn free if there is something else that xanthan gum can be grown on...hmmm.

IrishHeart Veteran

oh hon, you have so much to learn, but this thread is not the place...and Domino's gluten-free pizza is NOT the answer. It is not really gluten-free, for starters. There are gluten-free beers that are GOOD!

Keep looking around the site and I promise you, you will find answers.

IrishHeart Veteran

:( I'm sorry.

Although I'm curious since they say it's corn free if there is something else that xanthan gum can be grown on...hmmm.

Do not be sorry. It is corn free--if the company says it is.

There are other mediums that xanthan gum is grown on ---soy, wheat, etc---and not everyone with a corn issue will react to it.

That is why when companies say "corn free" --they probably mean it.

Think they would risk a law suit if someone with a corn allergy ate their products with X-gum?

Nope.

Namaste Foods:

Our fine foods contain no wheat, gluten, corn, soy, potato, dairy, casein, tree nuts or peanuts and are:

Carefully made in a dedicated allergen-free facility

Made with NO genetically modified ingredients

Kosher certified

Giambi Newbie

Two things: Dominoes pizzas are pretty bad, even on their regular crust. And more importantly, their pizzas are made using the same pans, ovens, knives, etc. as their regular pizza and so they are cross contaminated and NOT gluten free.

Well I'm not avoiding gluten at this time so i'm not worried about cross contamination just yet. But how could someone actually live that way anyways?? So I can't eat a steak at a steakhouse because they serve gluten foods there?? Ridiculous. I better be negative for Celiacs cause this wont work for me.

bartfull Rising Star

See, you learn something every day. I did NOT know they could grow X-gum on anything other than corn. Although it seems that corn doesn't bother me anymore, I'd still like to avoid it whenever possible. I'll go back to the site and check prices. Maybe I'll try some. Thanks once again, IH, and Alex, I apologize for the bad info.

Archived