This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Interesting Observation - Coffee

troykm

troykm Apprentice

This may be TMI for some so be warned LOL

I love coffee! But have always had a problem with it. It always made me gooooooooooooo! With in 5 min of a cup i would be running to the loo and while not having diarrhoea, it would certainly be classed as an emergency evacuation. Also if i had more than 2 cups a day (sometimes just 2 was enough) i would get symptoms like increased anxiety, electrical currents through the body things like that. I always put this down to too much caffeine.

BUT!

5 weeks gluten free this week. NO REACTION TO COFFEE AT ALL! No running to the loo, no anxiety, none of the things that would normally happen. 0. Ziltch.

This can not be a coincidence. But i have no answer as to why coffee and celiac could be linked in such a way. Its not the lactose in the milk because i switched to soy milk for a year a few years back and had the same reaction.

I was also told that coffee was a trigger for my GERD/GORD, but since gluten free GERD/GORD is gone too.

Its a mystery to me :-)

anyone have any insight?

thanks

troy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Hey troy. So glad you can enjoy your morning caffeine, with pleasure.

Many times any food or drink will be a bother, gluten free or otherwise, until healing can take place.

Simple joys! :)

Jestgar Rising Star

Interesting. I know when I've eaten something I shouldn't my body holds on to a lot of water. Maybe the coffee was counteracting that for you, and when you changed your diet, your body didn't need the help any more?

nvsmom Community Regular

I think coffee does that for many people. I'm one of those who never gets D but always has C so coffee is vital for me to get me "going" each day. Without coffee I'm at a full stop even with huge amounts of fibre supplements.

Maybe coffee has more of an affect because our guts are damaged but now you are starting to heal so it has less effect? Just a theory.

troykm Apprentice

I've just been reading that some research is showing that the protein in coffee is cross reacting with the gluten antibody in our intestines. As your intestines heal the antibody levels drop and so the cross reactions slow and eventually stop.

Can this be true? I suppose it's possible. It would explain my mystery.

GF Lover Rising Star

This may be TMI for some so be warned LOL

I love coffee! But have always had a problem with it. It always made me gooooooooooooo! With in 5 min of a cup i would be running to the loo and while not having diarrhoea, it would certainly be classed as an emergency evacuation. Also if i had more than 2 cups a day (sometimes just 2 was enough) i would get symptoms like increased anxiety, electrical currents through the body things like that. I always put this down to too much caffeine.

BUT!

5 weeks gluten free this week. NO REACTION TO COFFEE AT ALL! No running to the loo, no anxiety, none of the things that would normally happen. 0. Ziltch.

This can not be a coincidence. But i have no answer as to why coffee and celiac could be linked in such a way. Its not the lactose in the milk because i switched to soy milk for a year a few years back and had the same reaction.

I was also told that coffee was a trigger for my GERD/GORD, but since gluten free GERD/GORD is gone too.

Its a mystery to me :-)

anyone have any insight?

thanks

troy

Say 5 Hail Marys and celebrate with a coffee cake.

Or. Chant for 10 minutes and make a coffee cake.

Or. Read Revolations and make a coffee cake.

Or. Knee toward Jerusalem and bow to Allah. Then make the coffee cake.

Or. Just make a coffee cake and eat it :D

troykm Apprentice

Say 5 Hail Marys and celebrate with a coffee cake.

Or. Chant for 10 minutes and make a coffee cake.

Or. Read Revolations and make a coffee cake.

Or. Knee toward Jerusalem and bow to Allah. Then make the coffee cake.

Or. Just make a coffee cake and eat it :D

LOL idiot. Not quite the insight I was looking for :-P

But you make a good point, I'm getting a coffee lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I've just been reading that some research is showing that the protein in coffee is cross reacting with the gluten antibody in our intestines. As your intestines heal the antibody levels drop and so the cross reactions slow and eventually stop.

Can this be true? I suppose it's possible. It would explain my mystery.

There is no such research. It's an urban legend that has cropped up on the internet recently. I have looked up all the supposed scientific references and they say that coffee allergies and reactions are actually quite rare. <_<

Coffee is a bit of a GI irritant and it's hard on folks with stomach trouble. It was probably too much for your system to handle. I used to be told to give up coffee because I had "gastritis". Pity my doctors never told me to give up gluten.

Salax Contributor

Coffee/caffeine has been known to be inflammatory to the bowel as well as a laxative to many folks. Personally, I don't drink the stuff anymore since the colitis diagnosis. But that might be the problem for many people. I know even people with muscle/back problems/joint problems have been seen to improve on a caffeine free lifestyle.

B)

bartfull Rising Star

I know I sound like those people who say they'd die if they couldn't have bread, but I will never give up my coffee! Nectar of the Gods! Greatest "invention" mankind has ever come up with! My reason for getting up in the morning! First thing on my list when I say my prayer of thanks every day! What makes life worth living!

Um...can you tell I like the stuff? :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

Um...can you tell I like the stuff? :lol:

Umm....no, Bart! laugh.gif As I'm sitting here having a cup of decaf as I really do prefer sleeping at night. biggrin.gif

love2travel Mentor

...and to think I have not had coffee since my all-nighters at university! I absolutely abhor the stuff. But today I was making a practice run of a gluten-free wedding cake and used coffee in it. That is the closest I have been to it for a very long time! :P

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

...and to think I have not had coffee since my all-nighters at university! I absolutely abhor the stuff. But today I was making a practice run of a gluten-free wedding cake and used coffee in it. That is the closest I have been to it for a very long time! :P

Hmmm...cake and coffee, score!! And I'll take a cup o joe on the side to wash it down! Let us know how that cake comes out!

sa1937 Community Regular

Hmmm...cake and coffee, score!! And I'll take a cup o joe on the side to wash it down! Let us know how that cake comes out!

And you know if it's a wedding cake, it must be huge...that means we should all volunteer to be the "official tasters". laugh.gif

Kathy59 Rookie

I used to be exactly the same way with coffee! Since being gluten-free, I too know longer have the effect! My husband still asks, "You o.k. in the bathroom?" before he uses the bathroom. However, in the end, when I got so sick; didn't matter what I drank or ate, I could never be far from a bathroom. I have since learned my electrical shocks are/were nerve damage caused from all the viruses in my body attacking my ncs...causing nerve damage. That is related to your body attacking the gluten in your body (good guys recognize it as a bad guy and trying to get rid of it). When this happens, the body is unable to keep viruses you have been exposed to down in your body (the good guys are calling in reinforcements to attack the gluten; other bad guys go unguarded) thus allowing viruses to become active in the body and floating around doing whatever damage they can; just happened to be my central nervous system. I take an anti-virual med to help my good guys! Since being dx the amount of meds I now take have been cut in half...it can be done, just takes patience, time, and being faithful to the gluten-free lifestyle! I also take olive leaf extract, just make sure it is at least 17% Oleuropein..natural anti-viral and it helps a lot with energy and keeping bad guys at bay!

Keshavdas Apprentice

Only been about three weeks since going gluten free. I would kill be able to drink regular coffee again. I've been limiting myself to one cup decaf on Sundays for some time now. Like most folks whose posts I've read - I ain't cured. But have noted dramatic changes in digestion. No more bloating or constant gas. And no horrendous constipation. I lived in India for 10 years and there where everybody else who got sick would end up with the runs - I often suffered two month long bouts of constipation where with out strong laxatives - nothing was "going down".

Last week I ate one or two fists full of pistachios which I haven't touched in ages and got a little stuffed up - so I took a gentle stool softener and voila! All was good next morning. Previous to going gluten free - I'd be taking two or three softeners several times a day to rectify the problem. Still can't believe that after all the years of complaining to my doctors about my issues - that none of the dummies ever thought to test for celiac.

I'm generally a good healer and have high hopes of regaining a strong semblance of normal health. I so much want to return to friends and family in India - but have been afraid of doing so and have not been back for three years.

kittty Contributor

Since going gluten-free I can't drink coffee anymore. I used to occasionally experience an over-caffeinated feeling with coffee, like jitters and trouble sleeping. But recently a single cup of coffee will make me feel ill, and the caffeine symptoms are so strong that they worry me. No more coffee for me.

Do you think this might be because my body is now absorbing things better, and more caffeine is getting through the system?

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

And you know if it's a wedding cake, it must be huge...that means we should all volunteer to be the "official tasters". laugh.gif

Yes definitely! I'll get my fork!! ????

sa1937 Community Regular

Yes definitely! I'll get my fork!! ????

I think she must have eaten it herself! tongue.gif

KMMO320 Contributor

I really dont think I could ever give up coffee unless I knew it was something that would directly kill me. lol

I am a coffee drinker for the flavor though, not so much the caffine, so I would be willing to switch to decaf if needed. I think I have been drinking coffee so regularly, and for so long that I only notice when it is decaf. Meaning, that I dont notice a "perk" or caffine jolt when I drink it, but I get intense caffine withdrawl migraine headaches when I stop. Last time I made the switch to decaf was when I was pregnant and I did it slowly, but it could be done, and I didnt miss the caffine once I switched.

• 2 weeks later...
ChristineWas Rookie

I had to completely give up coffee during my time of getting more and more sick pre-diagnosis, but I am able to drink it in moderation now. I found that switching to cold-brew coffee (Toddy), which has significantly lower acidity, really helped me as well. I guess the acidity was a big factor in my trouble with it.

Finally-45 Contributor

I had the same response, less urination urges after coffee. I also used to get urinary tract infections frequently, all gone.

I recently had to stop eating corn. I had long associated urinary tract infections with high fructose corn syrup. Interestingly, my gastro just suggested that my corn intolerance isn't really to corn, it's to fructose. I'll soon see if she's right.

I think when you start to eat right, you can't help but elminate a lot of food that isn't good for you. In the end, you'll get better results from all over your body.

GFinDC Veteran

Only been about three weeks since going gluten free. I would kill be able to drink regular coffee again. I've been limiting myself to one cup decaf on Sundays for some time now. Like most folks whose posts I've read - I ain't cured. But have noted dramatic changes in digestion. No more bloating or constant gas. And no horrendous constipation. I lived in India for 10 years and there where everybody else who got sick would end up with the runs - I often suffered two month long bouts of constipation where with out strong laxatives - nothing was "going down".

Last week I ate one or two fists full of pistachios which I haven't touched in ages and got a little stuffed up - so I took a gentle stool softener and voila! All was good next morning. Previous to going gluten free - I'd be taking two or three softeners several times a day to rectify the problem. Still can't believe that after all the years of complaining to my doctors about my issues - that none of the dummies ever thought to test for celiac.

I'm generally a good healer and have high hopes of regaining a strong semblance of normal health. I so much want to return to friends and family in India - but have been afraid of doing so and have not been back for three years.

@K

Hi K,

I hope you do get back to normal health. Our bodies do have an amazing capacity to heal. Whole foods are a good way to avoid many chemicals and cross-contamination issues. I gave up coffee several years ago myself after going gluten-free. It just didn't work anymore for me.

Since going gluten-free I can't drink coffee anymore. I used to occasionally experience an over-caffeinated feeling with coffee, like jitters and trouble sleeping. But recently a single cup of coffee will make me feel ill, and the caffeine symptoms are so strong that they worry me. No more coffee for me.

Do you think this might be because my body is now absorbing things better, and more caffeine is getting through the system?

@Kitty Same here Kitty, coffee and caffeine in any form bothers me. I don't drink sodas with caffeine either. Even chocolate has some caffeine in it. Not much but some. You probably are starting to absorb foods better, but I am not sure if that is the issue. Caffeine just has bad affects om some people it seems. I used to drink a lot of coffee before going gluten-free but now I can't handle it. I am not sure why, but it doesn't agree with me anymore.

And she probably did eat the whole cake! But she probably didn't get any sleep that night either.:)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I have never been able to drink coffee. Always made me sick to my stomach, headaches and put me to sleep even the smell would nauseate me. What was interesting is cigarettes did the same thing. Found out a few years ago it was due to the tannins in the coffee and cigs.

Didn't like the taste of cigs or coffee anyway so no biggie.

Archived