aquaholical

Glutened By Colgate Wisps?

Rate this topic

So I've been attempting to do an elimination diet for over a month but I've had a couple of setbacks with glutenings. Quinoa got me the first time and it lasted about a week, which has been typical glutening duration for me. But right after I started feeling decent from that I slipped and used a Colgate Wisp (little disposable toothbrushes) and it got me BAD. Has anyone else been glutened by them? (I know it couldn't have been anything else I had that day because of the elim diet-only eating sweet potatoes and veggies, basically.) This is day 12 of the glutening and my tummy is not letting up one bit. :/

Glutenfreeda mentioned at one point that these were gluten free. Not that I am saying every gluten free blogger in the universe is always 100% right but so far in my personal experience with this one I haven't been led astray. The celiacsociety website also lists Colgate as 100% gluten free, meaning all of their products. Since a quick call could clear this up, I'd recommend a call to the company. (800-468-6502)

yeah, I was originally assuming it couldn't have been the wisp because I know Colgate toothpaste is gluten free. But that's the only thing out of the ordinary I had that day/week. That same day (thanks, food diary) I did make a mock pesto out of pine nuts and basil, so I'm definitely going home and double checking those pine nuts. Aside from that I suppose it could still be a continuation of the AWFUL glutening I got with quinoa on July 8. (?) I've just been assuming it was a whole new glutening because it's been so long and I had a couple days of very minimal symptoms.

I know everyone's different, but is there sometimes an ebb and flow like that when you've been glutened? All the times I have been before I feel like total crud for 4-5 days, then it lightens up for a couple days and finally passes. If it's a really bad glutening could it be spread out over a month with symptoms fluctuating between better and worse? Or do you think it's more likely that I'm unknowingly continually ingesting something contaminated? (looking through my food diary I think the pine nuts are about the only thing that could be, though.)

Are you eating dairy? Proteins are cross-reactive. In addition, lactose intolerance in a common symptom if your villi are destroyed.

no dairy, no soy--react to both.

Okay, yall. Finally had a chance to call Colgate. They said the Wisps do not contain soy but they can not verify that their ingredients do not come in contact with gluten. They were incredibly friendly and sent me a bunch of full price coupons for toothpaste. :)

AND the pine nuts I used in dinner that night (Fischer) are also apparently manufactured in a facility that also processes wheat. BOO. The woman I spoke to here assured me that the machines were washed thoroughly before and after use but I explained that I am unfortunately one of those uber sensitive celiacs and that it doesn't really matter how well anything is washed. I can't even eat out at restaurants, AT ALL without getting sick.

So sounds like I could have been double-hit, mystery kinda solved.