This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Trapped Wind (Chest Pain) Constipation And Bloating?

Kirstie

Kirstie Apprentice

Hey everyone,

I've been suffering from trapped wind for three days straight now, its been really painful (especially on Saturday) and wakes me up at night.

I am also really bloated and constipated. I'm not sure if the trapped wind is a result from constipation, or different entirely?

Has anyone else suffered from this. I've taken laxatives, fibre supplements, prune juice, smoothies, effervescent salts, linseed and flaxseed and generally just been healthy! Jogging, lots of water and juice, no fatty foods or alcohol. They haven't done much except give me mild cramping.

I'm trying to give up dairy and have been avoiding it fine, except for occasional problems with milk in unexpected places.

I'm just so tired of being ill! There is always something wrong with me! My constipation really improved after quitting gluten, but its been bad this past week.

Can anyone recommend food or other things to help constipation, bloating and my digestion in general? I'm getting really depressed about this :(

Thanks again everyone x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

It sounds like you have been glutened. Thats how I feel when I have been. I also had to give up corn, corn syrup..especially in soda would make me feel like that for days. Anything with corn makes me horribly constipated.

I would drink lots of water to help get things moving and stick to a whole foods diet for a while. Maybe have some chicken with salt and some soft carrots. Things like that. Sometimes fruit makes things worse because it feels like it is fermenting in your guts and causes more gas and pain.

I hope you feel better soon!

Chad Sines Rising Star

This is also how i feel when i am having issues with fat intolerance which seems to be something many of us get. Same side effect of too much probiotic, dairy (if you have issues), soy (if you have issues), starting fiber, some of the wheat alternatives (at least for me), and even gut bacteria being off.

GFinDC Veteran

A big can of salty sauerkraut has some chance of getting things moving. Don't drain it real well, the salt is what makes it work.

For gas in the stomach peppermint is good. Peppermint Altoids work well. Also Betaine HCL. Mastic gum may help too but you need to take it for a couple weeks several times day.

nvsmom Community Regular

I like prunes (I know I know) and strong coffee along with extra fibre supplements. I also always have Gas Rx or something like that, on hand to help get the gas going (wind bloat is the norm for glutening for me).

When desperate, standing on your head or, from your knees, bend your head to the ground in a prayer-like pose... the gas seems to rise and, ahem, leave more easily... do without a spouse around to mock you... trust me. ;)

Ibuprofin seems to help with the pain a tad... Best wishes, I know that bloat can hurt.

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

I recently had trapped gas, which isn't a usual symptom for me and it was really painful, so I feel for you. Gas X usually works well occasionally when I need it. When constipation gets bad enough though, it's beyond fiber and dietary changes and you need to be more proactive: enemas work. It's not as bad as it sounds. I only use purified water enemas. I can give you more info if you like. Dulcolax suppositories work too, but cause irritation. Magnesium Citrate is another option but not too pleasant to use either.

• 3 weeks later...
Skittles Enthusiast

This happens to me often. Even though you feel bloated, drinking water does help. Also, peppermint herbal tea really helps me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

justlisa Apprentice

My first question is: "Chest" pain?

Second question: How do you KNOW that the "chest pain"is "trapped wind"?

Third question: It's been a couple of weeks...how have you been doing?

Keshavdas Apprentice

Constipation and gas were my big indicators of Celiac disease. Haven't had it since going gluten free. Before going gluten-free - little things would set me off and couldn't move anything without stool softners for a month at a time.

Stool softeners don't work overnight like Dulcolax etc but they are gentler and the GI system doesn't seem to become as dependent on them as it does with strong stimulant-based laxatives.

I would take two with each meal until things started moving and then taper off as things would

get too loose.

Last time I was really desperate and nothing was helping I did a couple spoonfuls of coconut oil at night before bed. Castor oil is even stronger but not supposed to be so healthy to ingest - tho if the discomfort was severe enough I would use it. Lots of water of course as it's very easy to dehydrated when using any kind of laxative and as it's been pointed out numerous times here, not getting dehydrated is paramount for folks with Celiac issues.

In the end you need to figure out what is causing you to create so much gas, which is what is trapping everything in your bowel.

RonSchon Explorer

My guess is that you have an intolerance to something which causes gluten like reactions in your digestive system.

I've been running into the same thing. First nuts, then powerade, then gatorade, then other gluten-free labeled processed items.

I'm down to a very limited selection of things that seem stable and safe. From there, I try to bring things in on an individual basis so that I know they are ok.

Kind of a pain in the butt, and often leads to poisonings, but at least I know for certain if it is ok.

I keep it in a log online, so I know dates and items and a timeline, etc.

Lucy Lastic Newbie

I get that a lot. I have IBS in addition to my gluten issues. Any kind of vegetable or fruit that is insoluable fiber makes me very gassy so I try to avoid those.

Peppermint tea or Fennel tea helps me as does taking activate charcoal capsuals. Also, exercise helps me. I guess it forces the gas to move around until it comes out. Nothing is a cure all, though. I just have to wait it out several days until its gone. Hope you feel better.

RockChalkChic Newbie

Running or swimming help me. My daily probiotic (Culturelle) and my daily red wine intake :) seems to help most of the time. I used to get that "full up to my chin" feeling before going gluten-free and it was miserable. It was like I just wanted to let out one huge burp! gross! Sometimes eating a cup of brown rice seems to help me, too, or eating dried prunes. Good luck!

Oh, and watch the Altoid minis, they contain wheat!

Archived