trey

Are All People Allergic To Wheat, Celiacs?

Rate this topic

Do all people that are allergic to wheat have Celiac disease?

No. And all Celiacs are not allergic to wheat.

I know that I am not allergic to wheat although I do have celiac. I'm not sure that anyone who is truly allergic to wheat would ever be capable of ingesting enough gluten to be tested for celiac. I suppose they could live off rye and barley... yeah, that would suck.

I was thinking about this. I know that alot of us say we are "allergic" to wheat to make someone understand - like the counter person at Wendy's. So, even tho I'm not allergic to wheat, I sometimes say I am. I think its easier to understand sometimes.

I was thinking about this. I know that alot of us say we are "allergic" to wheat to make someone understand - like the counter person at Wendy's. So, even tho I'm not allergic to wheat, I sometimes say I am. I think its easier to understand sometimes.

True... Many just don't "get it" when you say gluten intolerance...

I

• Upvote 1

Codetalker, Very interesting to hear how different people deal with this.

I have to say, though, that I've found the complete opposite... People don't look at the level of exposure as proportional to the severity of the reaction. In fact, most folks' eyes have the tendency to have their eyes glaze over (it's quite clear they're tuning me out...lol) until I use a word they understand. "Allergic" seems to be one of those words. Actually, they see "allergic" as the big bad bogeyman...especially my son's generation (the perfect example is that many have heard of the severe reactions of some folks to peanuts, bee stings, etc...).

Truth is, while I have found myself in many conversations about it, more often than not, I just don't have the energy or desire to engage with people on that level...friends/family/in here, yes...out in the world, not so much...