This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reading

BabsV

IrishHeart Veteran

Second that!

oh, I WANT one now.....honey!!! I want this dog...come lOOK!!!!!please, please, please....

(I'll let you know if he goes for it ;) ....)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BabsV Enthusiast

I know this is off topic, but I have to say it:

Your dog has the most adorable face! OMG, what a doll!

That dog is an absolute cutie! I've been wondering what to use for my profile pic and now I think I'll try to get a photo of our Border Terrier. If I can get him to sit still. He's not big on getting his photo taken.

And back on topic...I just finished LOST ON PLANET CHINA by J. Marteen Troost which was hysterical and oh so true for those of us who have lived in China! I highly recommend it.

Also just watched TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY (the new version with Gary Oldman as Smiley.) Well done but a little slow...plus the early 1970s were just not a visually pleasing time in terms of clothes/hairstyles!

mboebel Newbie

That dog is an absolute cutie! I've been wondering what to use for my profile pic and now I think I'll try to get a photo of our Border Terrier. If I can get him to sit still. He's not big on getting his photo taken.

I just held a little piece of cheese riiiight above my iPhone. Hilde falls for it every time.

BabsV Enthusiast

I just held a little piece of cheese riiiight above my iPhone. Hilde falls for it every time.

OMG! Brilliant! I will have to try it. Ennis will do anything for cheese. Seriously.

• 3 weeks later...
love2travel Mentor

Reading anything by Daphne deMaurier I can get my hands on. She wrote "Rebecca", "My Cousin Rachel", "The House on the Strand". Absolutely brilliant.

IrishHeart Veteran

Reading anything by Daphne deMaurier I can get my hands on. She wrote "Rebecca", "My Cousin Rachel", "The House on the Strand". Absolutely brilliant.

Loved Rebecca. I used to teach a course called "Mystery and Detective Fiction" and that book was on the reading list. GREAT novel.

love2travel Mentor

Loved Rebecca. I used to teach a course called "Mystery and Detective Fiction" and that book was on the reading list. GREAT novel.

Are you serious? Mystery and Detective fiction is my favourite genre in books. Especially British (i.e. Agatha Christie). You must know all about her, Ngaio Marsh, Erle Stanley Garner, Rex Stout, Anne Perry...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Are you serious? Mystery and Detective fiction is my favourite genre in books.

It's been a while, but in addition to that novel, we read Turn of the Screw by Henry James, some short stories by Christie, Poe, Lord Dunsany, Roald Dahl; ...what else? oh, the Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Other Voices, Other Rooms, can't recall the rest. It was a fun course!

love2travel Mentor

It's been a while, but in addition to that novel, we read Turn of the Screw by Henry James, some short stories by Christie, Poe, Lord Dunsany, Roald Dahl; ...what else? oh, the Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Other Voices, Other Rooms, can't recall the rest. It was a fun course!

Oh, isn't Henry James awesome? Same with Wilkie Collins - I have many of his books on my Kobo.

BabsV Enthusiast

Are you serious? Mystery and Detective fiction is my favourite genre in books. Especially British (i.e. Agatha Christie). You must know all about her, Ngaio Marsh, Erle Stanley Garner, Rex Stout, Anne Perry...

Have you read Tana French? She's Irish and her books, so far, are in the police procedural vein but they are just sooooo Irish. In order they are: IN THE WOODS, THE LIKENESS, FAITHFUL PLACE. They are a loosely linked trilogy. I think my favorite was THE LIKENESS and then IN THE WOODS and FAITHFUL PLACE. The characters and stories really got into my head! I think she's got a new one coming out.

Also just discovered Kate Atkinson...I picked up STARTED EARLY, TOOK MY DOG from my book club (we've got a 'library' and share books) and it was a great read. Apparently the main character in that book is featured in other novels. I am not sure they are published in the States...if not, I will have to order from Book Depository (thank goodness they have free shipping to the States!)

love2travel Mentor

Have you read Tana French? She's Irish and her books, so far, are in the police procedural vein but they are just sooooo Irish. In order they are: IN THE WOODS, THE LIKENESS, FAITHFUL PLACE. They are a loosely linked trilogy. I think my favorite was THE LIKENESS and then IN THE WOODS and FAITHFUL PLACE. The characters and stories really got into my head! I think she's got a new one coming out.

Also just discovered Kate Atkinson...I picked up STARTED EARLY, TOOK MY DOG from my book club (we've got a 'library' and share books) and it was a great read. Apparently the main character in that book is featured in other novels. I am not sure they are published in the States...if not, I will have to order from Book Depository (thank goodness they have free shipping to the States!)

Am going to see if I can find Tana French in our library. I have not read her but I would like to! Am glad they are Irish because my favourite books are British - usually written long ago but I am game to her...

BabsV Enthusiast

Am going to see if I can find Tana French in our library. I have not read her but I would like to! Am glad they are Irish because my favourite books are British - usually written long ago but I am game to her...

I have to warn you the books are not at all like American mysteries...I know a woman (American) who read IN THE WOODS and hated (more like HATED!!!!) the ending with a passion because it was not at all a typical American mystery ending. I found it very very appropriate and actually liked how the author did it. Not giving anything away by saying this...read the book, you'll understand. :)

love2travel Mentor

I have to warn you the books are not at all like American mysteries...I know a woman (American) who read IN THE WOODS and hated (more like HATED!!!!) the ending with a passion because it was not at all a typical American mystery ending. I found it very very appropriate and actually liked how the author did it. Not giving anything away by saying this...read the book, you'll understand. :)

That's ok - I prefer British over any other mysteries (i.e. Daphne DuMaurier, Agatha Christie). Plus I am not American, I am Canadian. :P Intriguing endings are great. There are many of those in the Anne Perry Victorian mysteries, too.

BabsV Enthusiast

That's ok - I prefer British over any other mysteries (i.e. Daphne DuMaurier, Agatha Christie). Plus I am not American, I am Canadian. :P Intriguing endings are great. There are many of those in the Anne Perry Victorian mysteries, too.

You'll do fine with it most likely. I also love DuMaurier; might have to try Christie again as I was a huge fan as a teenager but haven't even looked at any of her books in over 20 years. Gasp...I am getting old!!! :o

I'm not familiar with Anne Perry and will have to check those out. Currently listening to a Ruth Rendell on audiobook, THE TREE OF HANDS. Well-done but sort of a downer (hey, not like Rendell writes uplifting happy books, right?!?!) I think that combined with the cold and rain we've been having have not been helping my mood. I need to move to something light and frivolous until the sun comes out.

BabsV Enthusiast

There are many of those in the Anne Perry Victorian mysteries, too.

Wow, I knew the name Anne Perry sounded familiar...she's one of the girls from the Parker-Hulme Murder!

Any recommendations from her extremely long list of published titles?

beachbirdie Contributor

Enjoyed seeing all your interests!

I'm catching up on some "oldies" from TV: Dick van Dyke Show, Quantum Leap, and Magnum PI.

I have a long list of books waiting. Currently reading "Bleak House" by Charles Dickens. My first-ever Dickens book besides "A Christmas Carol". I'm loving it. I thought Dickens would be totally stuffy and serious, but he has a sense of humor that continues to surprise.

Next up is a trio of Shirly Jackson books, "Life Among the Savages", "The Haunting of Hill House", and "We Have Always Lived in the Castle".

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I'm watching 'Hot in Cleveland'. I love Betty White.....

love2travel Mentor

Enjoyed seeing all your interests!

I'm catching up on some "oldies" from TV: Dick van Dyke Show, Quantum Leap, and Magnum PI.

I have a long list of books waiting. Currently reading "Bleak House" by Charles Dickens. My first-ever Dickens book besides "A Christmas Carol". I'm loving it. I thought Dickens would be totally stuffy and serious, but he has a sense of humor that continues to surprise.

Next up is a trio of Shirly Jackson books, "Life Among the Savages", "The Haunting of Hill House", and "We Have Always Lived in the Castle".

I adore Dickens and have read many. I think "Bleak House" is one of my favourites. His writing style is pleasing, as is his sense of humour as you mention.

Just finished "We Have Always Lived in the Castle". Love Shirley Jackson, too.

Have you tried Daphne DuMaurier? She is one of the most brilliant authors ever in my opinion (and I read at least 250 books per year). My favourites are "Rebecca", "My Cousin Rachel" and "The House on the Strand". Absolutely amazing. These are the books that I cannot put down. I was housesitting when reading "The House on the Strand" last summer and I took it with me cooking, to the bathroom, outside, everywhere. It was that compelling.

IrishHeart Veteran

I Love Jackson, DuMaurier, Dickens, and Dick Van Dyke and Betty White! :) Talk about eclectic tastes!

Reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese right now.

Excellent novel.

beachbirdie Contributor

I adore Dickens and have read many. I think "Bleak House" is one of my favourites. His writing style is pleasing, as is his sense of humour as you mention.

Just finished "We Have Always Lived in the Castle". Love Shirley Jackson, too.

Have you tried Daphne DuMaurier? She is one of the most brilliant authors ever in my opinion (and I read at least 250 books per year). My favourites are "Rebecca", "My Cousin Rachel" and "The House on the Strand". Absolutely amazing. These are the books that I cannot put down. I was housesitting when reading "The House on the Strand" last summer and I took it with me cooking, to the bathroom, outside, everywhere. It was that compelling.

Oh yes! When I saw you post about her, I meant to comment. I read "Rebecca" and "My Cousin Rachel" and absolutely loved duMaurier but that was a lot of years ago! I think my daughter (English major...she's guiding my reading list, LOL) read "House on the Strand" and liked it. I'll probably re-read "Rebecca" soon, I've been thinking about it for a while.

I Love Jackson, DuMaurier, Dickens, and Dick Van Dyke and Betty White! :) Talk about eclectic tastes!

Reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese right now.

Excellent novel.

LOL! Oh yes, Betty is such a charmer! It IS funny how different all those people are yet all so wonderfully likeable!

auuudriana Newbie

Just started reading The Sookie Stackhouse Chronicles...my manager is obsessed with True Blood and lent them all to me.

alex11602 Collaborator

Just started reading The Sookie Stackhouse Chronicles...my manager is obsessed with True Blood and lent them all to me.

The books are totally different then the show is, personally I like the books alot better then the show.

BabsV Enthusiast

Oh yes! When I saw you post about her, I meant to comment. I read "Rebecca" and "My Cousin Rachel" and absolutely loved duMaurier but that was a lot of years ago! I think my daughter (English major...she's guiding my reading list, LOL) read "House on the Strand" and liked it. I'll probably re-read "Rebecca" soon, I've been thinking about it for a while.

I am impressed. I could not get through "House on the Strand" -- I gave it a valiant effort but that book just didn't do it for me...

Next up for me is the new Dexter novel, "Double Dexter," -- think the earlier books were better than the last couple AND I'm always having to remind myself of what has happened in the books versus what has happened in the TV series because they are very different at this point!

• 5 weeks later...
rml97 Rookie

Some of my favorite titles:

1. Prophecy of the Sisters (trilogy)

2. Book Theif

3. Tiger Moon

4. If I Stay/ Where She Went

5. Hunger Games (of course!!)

Adalaide Mentor

I really only recognize one of those titles, and that's because I went to see the movie last night! I'm a fantasy reader myself

I'm just finishing the second book in the Genesis of Shannara series. Very good if you're into Terry Brooks, ties two series together, I'm really enjoying it.

Mostly though, I'm a Mercedes Lackey fan. I can not recommend my favorite trilogy enough, which is Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise and Magic's Price.

I also love Stephen King short stories. Not so much his novels, they're okay but just don't generally have the same level of awesomeness his short stories do.

Edit: As I hit the post button my husband walks up behind me and is like "what does Stephen King have to do with celiac? I'm like he writes horror, and getting a celiac diagnosis is pretty horrifying. DUH!

Archived