This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Dh, Or So I've Been Told, But It Is "different"

Alwayssomething

Alwayssomething Contributor

Hope I did this right!

The pictures of my "typical" DH are not very good, but here they are.

IMGP4580.webp

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj538/eeyorelvr38/IMGP4579.webp

Here is what I say is not typical, but this is also where I have my first reaction and well as my worst reaction.

This one is just a few of the spots

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj538/eeyorelvr38/IMGP4583.webp

Here you can't see the small bumps but you can see that the area is raised and not flat

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj538/eeyorelvr38/IMGP4582.webp

And after the itching and burning stop I get this dryness that itches like crazy too, but it reminds me more of psoriasis.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj538/eeyorelvr38/IMGP4590.webp

And here is just a couple more, so what do you think this is nontypical DH or something else?

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj538/eeyorelvr38/IMGP4588.webp

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj538/eeyorelvr38/IMGP4585.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

This is how my earliest rash appeared and this is why I never thought it was DH. I thought it was a hive-like reaction to something but it wasn't blistering, it was welts, so I dismissed DH. Later it took on the typical DH appearance but that was several years into having the rash before it started blistering so that it could be recognized as DH. Your rash is responsive to being gluten free? Is it worse at night as far as the burning and itching? How long have you had this rash?

The way yours looks is how the ones on my face started.

The ones on my legs were more pinpoint raised dots and they were more reddened.

squirmingitch Veteran

This is how my hubs looks except there are "bumps" all embedded in it & it gets fire engine red with the bumps getting even redder & then the bumps will get more pointed & leak & then crust & then when the crust goes that skin is cracked like your photo from the skin being so traumatized from swelling, burning, itching & stinging for so long.

Alwayssomething Contributor

Eatmeat - Yes it has been responsive to going gluten free, I have been gluten free since last October, I have now eliminated Iodine as I also have Hoshimoto's. Right now I am almost clear. My original rash when I was diagnosed was full body and was very much like my face. Now I notice it has moved, my body itself (other than my arms) do not react if I get glutened but my face always reacts first. It is worse at night and ictches, burns and I can feel little bumps but they are not visible.

Squirm - the allergist explained it pretty much the same way he also said in his opion when we see this response we have the blisters "under" the skin more than on top. Don't know if that is true or not, but so far he seems to have been the most knowledgable of everyone I have seen, he was really the one who found and diagnosed everything I had.

Thanks to both of you for putting me more at ease, it starts to play head games with you, you know you are better gluten free but then out of the blue you will react and think maybe it is all in my head and gluten isn't the answer, knowing darn well it is ;)

squirmingitch Veteran

I know the feeling Alwayssomething. Been there, done that with the head games.

Yes, hubs & I pretty much figured the blisters are beneath the skin where you can't see them.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

It is very important to have the different presentations of DH represented here. Thank you for posting your pics and the fact that it has responded to being gluten free. When my rash presented like yours, there was no recognition of it as DH. It took years and years of flares and misdiagnoses, and worsening lesions until it became like the classic presentations of DH. Eventually those welts started weeping and burning and failed to heal for months turned into years. So thank you very much for the info.

I would like to suggest that you post these in the DH photo bank along with the fact that your rash is almost gone being gluten free so that others can benefit. And perhaps Dr.'s who are diagnosing patients with rashes will eventually be viewing our DH photo bank as well so it would be helpful to many to see the various presentations. Thanks again!

squirmingitch Veteran

I agree with eatmeat that I wish you would post these in the dh photobank along with your comments as well as how they change & react.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived