justlisa

Something Got Me...

Rate this topic

I've been gluten-free since July 11 and doing quite well...

My main issues are neuro, pain.... I will have "flares" of swelling & excruciating pain which, so far, can attack feet, hands, wrists, knees, shoulders. The "flare" usually affects only one particular location (a hand, a knee, etc) at the time and lasts about 24 to 36 hours.

For the past 5 years, I have "managed" the pain with 4 aleve (2 morning & 2 night) per my Rheumo's direction. I just didn't want to go with a narcotic...

As of about 1 1/2 months ago, I had to give in and fill the script for oxycodone that my doc insisted I take...

My state will not allow docs to prescribe more than a 30 day supply or refills... And, you have to pick up the written script from the doc and take to the pharmacy...can't be "called in" to pharmacy by doc...

Anyway... 2 days ago, I got "flare" in my right knee. Just imagine the sensation of open-knee surgery with a rusty butter knife... I'm a pretty tough bird, but I sobbed like a baby...

I didn't have any of the oxycodone and aleve didn't touch it... My doc is on vacation and the doc covering wouldn't write a script... :(

A friend of mine gave my husband a couple of her oxycodone to give me...I was in pretty bad shape.

Now, I had already called the manufacturer of "my" script a month and a half ago to confirm it was gluten-free.

Last night, I took the medicine... Approx 20 mins later, I got this nagging headache, nausea and intermittent hiccups. This morning, the vomiting started and, only now, seems to be letting up a bit. Still nauseous...still have headache though not as bad...plus stomach gurgling and sharp, squeezing pain...

All I ate yesterday was dinner last night (I made it 'cause I just don't have faith that my husband will be as vigilant as I need with my food, yet)... I made Schar penne with Silver Palate sauce and grass fed ground beef. I can't see any gluten risk in the meal...

I am trying to avoid jumping the gun and finger-pointing at the cause... But, my "gut" (pun intended) is thinking that the medicine was contaminated...

The severity of my reaction makes me think of perhaps increased sensitivity since I've been gluten-free.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Btw, I have had gastrointestinal issues for years...bloating, gassy, constipation... Though not "severe" . Reflux and gastroenteritis began about 3 years ago... I haven't had to take my omeprazole since going gluten-free.

If they were someone else's script and that person is a gluten eater then they could have been CC'd. Just another reason not to take someone else's script.

I know that pain well. It is excruciating. Don't know if it will be the case for you but for me soy is more of a culprit in that pain than gluten is. For some folks it is nightshades that are contributing to joint pain. Perhaps try eliminating soy for a few weeks and see if it helps. If it doesn't then add it back in watching for a flare for the next couple days.

It can take quite some time to heal fully. For me the migraines and D stopped pretty quick but it took six months or so (and eliminating soy) for the joint issues to resolve. They do pop back up if I am glutened or soyed but are much milder when that happens and just plain asprin works to relieve it.