Scott Adams

Area residents grapple with gluten - Grand Forks Herald

Rate this topic

Area residents grapple with gluten

Grand Forks Herald

Not a day goes by that Tim Menard of Crookston isn't tempted by some snack he can't eat. Goodies like these donuts, cake or cookies contain gluten, which Menard must avoid for the sake of his health. He has celiac disease, so does his mother, Rosemary ...

View the full article

Not a day goes by that I don't run across that same Associated Press mistake in one of these celiac "information" articles, which attempts to downgrade or mislead the number of celiacs. This newspaper based in the North Dakota area recently ran another celiac and gluten free food article which sounded like it was written by a wheat lobbyist, it was so full of snide errors. When I checked the letters to the editor section, there was one recent letter praising the soon to be coming introduction of supposedly drought resistant GMO Monsanto Corn, use the google and you will find out that this new GMO corn is not performing as it was supposed to when it was field grown. There is a media push going on right now by the GMO lobby pushing their studies of GMO wheat which of course will supposedly also be more bug and drought resistant - the question is, how allergenic and how auto immune reaction provoking will it be, I don't see any FDA studies on THAT.

Back to the wheat.....

More recently, a research team led by the Mayo Clinic

And of course, there is also the problem with these articles pretending that a celiac on a gluten free diet cannot eat goodies like cake, donuts, cookies, or pastas, by selectively quoting someone who is making it sound really difficult, when, the truth is, there are plenty of gluten free substitutes that can be purchased or made.