Rate this topic

Can a Celiac patient eat a meal with gluten every great now and then?

Unfortunately no. It WILL make you sick. I accidentally ate some gluten over a week ago and I'm still paying for it.

No, cheating isn't okay for us. Celiac can by itself by deadly and can lead to many other complicated, unpleasant and even deadly diseases. For a rather long debate that ends in no, check here.

No, a Celiac can't eat a gluten meal every now and then. I mean, they could...but they would be causing an auto-immune response and those with overt symptoms would get very sick. Those with silent symptoms may not notice, but even these Celiacs do not consider it safe to eat a gluten meal due to the risk of developing other auto-immune diseases or intestinal cancer or lymphoma.

In fact, the great challenge for us is how to avoid the traces of gluten that make us sick inadvertently. Like crumbs in the silverware drawer, crumbs in the butter, a knife stuck back in the peanut butter jar, using a toaster that toasted gluten bread, all are ways of getting trace gluten and we call it cross contamination.

It is imperative for a Celiac to avoid every little trace of gluten in order to avoid the damage caused by the auto-immune response to ingesting gluten in any amount. Some people find it hard to believe the cross-contamination and trace gluten can harm us, but indeed it can whether our symptoms are loud and clear or hidden. Some are absolutely shocked at the severity of their reaction to tiny amounts of trace gluten.