Rate this topic

Hello,

I've been gluten free for 6 months and have been fine until recently. After I eliminated dairy from my diet I was still feeling sick and my doctor had me stop eating gluten. My antibody screen came back normal, but I had definite reactions to gluten when I ate it so I haven't gone back. I began feeling sick again and met with a nutritionist who put me on a FODMAPs diet which helped a lot with my bloating and also made me realize i cannot tolerate any soy products. Recently I have found I am not longer able to tolerate any corn products. For the past three days I have had hunger pangs that have made me nauseous all day, and they don't go away after I eat. When I do eat I begin to have stomach problems and have to run to the bathroom within a half hour of eating. The only thing I have been eating differently is black tea. Sorry this is so long, but does anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you,,

Jessica

You said the only thing you have been 'eating' differently is black tea. Maybe caffeine is an issue for you? I know for me, I can't handle coffee or black tea (I get really nauseous and get some cramping). Caffeine tends to stimulate your GI tract, increasing peristalsis and can therefore lead to discomfort / cramping / diarrhea etc.

Perhaps try to cut out the black tea for awhile and see what happens.

More intolerances developing after going gluten free is not a surprise to me...I've had to cut out a lot of things myself after I began to see issues. Hopefully over time we may both be able to reintroduce some things, but if not, at least we will be feeling better for not eating them! :)

If you're not already keeping a food/symptom journal, there's one thing that might help highlight what correlates to what. Especially because not everyone has same-day reactions.

Also wondering if you've considered an environmental aspect. Any change in workplace/school/home sometime before starting to feel poorly? Do you or someone close have a pet whose food you might contact?

If the tea is in a teabag, that might be the problem. Many teabags have corn starch in them.

Thank you for all of the quick replies! I haven't had problems with caffeine before, hopefully that isn't the problem. In the past week I have moved, started a new school and work schedule, which probably isn't helping. My family has many pets but I only handle the guinea pig and fish food, which hasn't given me a problem before. The tea I have been drinking is in a tea bag. I looked at the ingredients and they did not list cornstarch, but I emailed the company to see.

Thank you again for all of the help.

It isn't in the tea, it is in the paper the bag is made of. There is corn in a lot of paper products - even some paper towels, paper plates, and TP! There are several corn allergy forums where you can find out some of the other places corn hides.

It might also depend on the brand of tea. I had to give up coffee because it was bothering me too much. I switched to black tea (which I would sometimes drink before quitting the coffee, anyway...); and I drink Red Rose brand. I did try a generic (less expensive) brand a few months back, and after a couple days I started getting glutened symptoms, so I went back to the Red Rose and it's been fine.