GwenO

Daughter Newly Diagnosed

Rate this topic

Hello. Some months ago my eleven year old daughter stopped eating. Eventually she was hospitalized - down to 42 lbs - initial diagnosis was anorexia. Two and a half weeks in hospital. Bloodwork was positive for celiac disease. Biopsy confirmed. She was put on anti anxiety meds. While in hospital she would only drink ensures - refused food. After about 10 days she started eating yogurt. She's home now and slowly gaining. She is eating and being checked by doc weekly . Slow going - def a psychological omponent. Appparently she has suffered significant intestinal damage. She's always been small and had stomach issues - feel guilty i didnt know. Finding it difficult. Ive gone gluten free but her 15 year old brother still eats regularly. My ex husband not really on board. My daughter won't go to his house. Been difficult and expensive. Hard coming up with meals, snacks etc. just wanted to intro myself. Excuse any typos - using my phone!

Gwen

Hi Gwen!

What a journey!

The best news? You now know the source of her problem. Do you have insurance? Can you get her some therapy?

Lisa

Thanks. Yes, we're in Canada, she has been getting counselling. They figure the discomfort may have triggered her to stop eating. She is OCD , so I think it was a combination of things, and yes, the end result is that we found out - better sooner than later.

I'm glad she's starting to feel better, but I'm sorry that she had such a tough go. Best wishes to you all as you switch to gluten-free foods.