fairmontpizza

Arrezzio Sliced Ripe Olives

Rate this topic

I am trying to find out if Arrezzio sliced ripe olives have gluten. It does not say any fillers on the label and I know ferrous gluconate is okay, so if anyone could answer me that would be terrific. I can't find them through google at all so I thought this site might be able to give me the help I need. I have a restaurant and serve gluten free pizza and really don't want anyone to get sick. Just learned that some olives are not okay to eat so really want to make sure. Thanks all! Margot

I don't know if anyone here will know the answer. That brand is not sold at retail outlets. It is only sold wholesale to the food service trade (restaurants and institutions).

I have not ever encountered olives that were not gluten-free--where did you hear that some were not okay?

We really want you to have a safe gluten-free pizza.

I would worry that people would get sick from your normal cooking practices, not black olives. I'm not trying to say they are dangerous or don't meet the Health Dept standards. They don't meet Celiac standards.

When you make gluten-free pizza, do you use the same black olives, cheese, etc that is on the regular pizza line? Those will likely be cc'd. When I worked in a pizza place, we used the sauce ladle to put sauce on crusts and then spread it around. Now the ladle has gluten on it. We put it back in the sauce. We spread out the pizza crusts with our clean gloved hands, then grabbed cheese, olives, etc with those gloves with the flour on them. This distributes flour to the cheese and other toppings rendering them unsafe for Celiacs.

You should call or email all your suppliers and see what they say if you don't know the exact ingredients. They will not gaurantee gluten-free. My BIL has done this for his restaurants, so I know its a pain. But people will continue to come and bring non-Celiac business with them.