bartfull

Changing Tastes

Rate this topic

Well, as most of you know I have gotten corn back after not being able to tolerate it for over a year. I lost potatoes back then too, and recently added them back to my diet with no problems.

So yesterday I went to the healthfood store and bought a bag of Kettle Brand chips. I used to LOVE these. They were my favorite chips of all time. But you know what? I ate some last night and didn't like them at all! They tasted greasy and heavy and left a terrible aftertaste.

I know that they haven't changed. It is I who has changed. After not eating any deep-fried food for over a year, I no longer like deep-fried food! I remember picking up some chicken strips from a local fast food joint for my friend Kelly when she was sick, and all the way to her house the smell was nauseating. She didn't like them either and I assumed they needed to change their grease. But now I know that Kelly didn't like them because the chemo was making everything taste funny to her, and I didn't like the smell because my taste has changed.

So for all of you who are feeling deprived because you are losing more and more foods, take heart. After you have healed and start adding these foods back, you just might find that your body doesn't WANT you to eat unhealthy foods anymore and so responds to unhealthy foods with a big "YUCK!" Some sort of defense mechanizm I would think. When you start to become healthy, the body demands that you keep it up and makes it easier by making unhealthy foods taste bad.

I love it!

• Upvote 1

I agree wholeheartedly with your line of thinking bartful. I have often thought that if after we were gluten-free for a few years & then ate a piece of gluten cake that we probably would not like it at all.

This is good to know you are experiencing the change in ?taste buds? first hand.smile.gif

Hey Bartfull - haven't been around in a while but THRILLED to see you're doing so well!!! Wow, you got corn back!!!!

I understand what you're saying. I'm sitting here grossed out on some cassava BBQ chips (kinda like Funyons??).... Have no desire to eat more. Yuck. I've gotten like that with salt in general - I really notice it in processed stuff.

Great news, Bartfull! I love to hear about others' improvement!

This is true, I took out dairy initally as well and now I don't like the taste of milk at all. I have small doeses of cheese but dairy milk is just gross to me now. Also potato chips taste so salty now that I can't eat them. Frankly I'm glad I've lost the taste for certain foods, makes it easier to stay away from a lot more.

I hadn't realized you got potatoes and corn back - that's wonderful! Congratulations! :-D

Thanks everyone for the congrats. It is amazing what an emotional boost it has given me. Yeah, it's great to expand my diet, but the best part is the way I feel mentally. The big old ugly dark cloud has lifted and the sun is shining again. Every morning when I wake up I am doing the happy dance, just at the thought of being HEALTHY!!