pricklypear1971

Ewg: Good Food On A Tight Budget

Rate this topic

Hey all - saw this today and thought it would be a great resource here since so many of us are looking for "maximum bang" when it comes to what we eat. I think it would be helpful for newbies, too, especially if you're transitioning from a processed diet.

The guide isn't geared to Celiacs or other intolerances or allergies, but it's easy to steer around them in the guide, I think, and there's lots of good info.

http://static.ewg.org/reports/2012/goodfood/pdf/goodfoodonatightbudget.pdf

Thanks Prickilly,

I may have to hare this with some friends.

A good way to sve it to buy in season. A little late for this year, but I always hit the farmer's market and buy in season vegetables and put them in the freezer. I have loads of green butter beans (known as limas outside the South), speckled butterbeans, purple hull peas, silver queen corn and peaches for this winter. Freezing is not hard to do and you can get a small freezer for not too much. Check estate sales for freezers.

Interesting. I can't believe they felt the need to include a recipe for making oatmeal. Are that many people really incapable of cooking something that doesn't come in a package marked "instant"?

Interesting. I can't believe they felt the need to include a recipe for making oatmeal. Are that many people really incapable of cooking something that doesn't come in a package marked "instant"?

Yes.

Think about it. How many times does the cashier ask "what is this?" about a fruit or veggie? Ever notice what qualifies as "homemade" or "fancy" food nowadays??? Usually a bacon buffalo ranch onion ring burger. From a fast food joint....