Rate this topic

Last fall me and my husband had pumpkin seeds. We baked them in the oven with salt they were SO good. I've heard they are pretty good for you too. But around here i have a hard time finding pumpkin seeds at all let alone ones that we know are free of gluten contamination....and when we have found them? They've been in small packages. Does anyone know of an online store or anything were pumpkin seeds can be bought in bulk and are certified gluten free?

I don't know, but can you grow some for next year? I grew a kind without hulls. They are Syrian Hulles. They grow well. The plants take alot of room. But without hulls they were easy to process. I feel sure the stores must have this variety or another like it.

Hopefully. You will find some for this year.

Diana

I can't stand the price of pumpkin seeds so instead I keep them as a fall treat. I buy pumpkins by the dozen all fall and do my own seeds, it's super easy, even if it's time consuming. I'm still in my first year gluten free and hadn't even really thought about how likely (or not) it may be for them to be contaminated to buy them ready to eat. I would just highly recommend hosing the pumpkins off in the back yard then giving them a good soap and water wash on the counter before cutting. If nothing else, it's peace of mind. Even if there isn't some sort of gluten on the outside of that pumpkin from the hay, chances are if you're buying from a small family type establishment you'll find poop on it. (Not appetizing, but that's just how farms work.)

I admit it, I am too lazy to do the roasting of the pepitas because I do enough cooking. :lol: I use pepitas in my granola bars and I order them from nuts.com, along with the diced dried fruits and a whole bunch of other Certified gluten-free nuts, seeds, dates, flours, xanthan gum, candies, etc.

I do not know where you live, hon, but they ship overnight and the quality is excellent. Just a suggestion!

. Even if there isn't some sort of gluten on the outside of that pumpkin from the hay, chances are if you're buying from a small family type establishment you'll find poop on it. (Not appetizing, but that's just how farms work.)

I so love you, girl! :)

eeyup, poop can be found on anything; bird, rodent, chipmunk, mice, ....we can't be squeamish about such things, or we would never eat farm produce.

Thank you so much for the suggestion guys. I dunno if we can pull off farming our own pumpkins BUT that website is definitely something to try. We've also had a hard time finding walnuts and we were going to try to make a variety of cookies at christmas that are gluten free like the gluten ones we use to make...they require walnuts so this may end up being extremely helpful!

OMG THEY HAVE KISSES, M&M's AND REESES PIECES? Do they actually make them on their gluten free equipment? We were bummed about those things as so many people react to them..we would love to find out we can still eat those chocolates lol

OMG THEY HAVE KISSES, M&M's AND REESES PIECES? Do they actually make them on their gluten free equipment? We were bummed about those things as so many people react to them..we would love to find out we can still eat those chocolates lol

Yes, Hon! anything in the gluten-free section? Is certified gluten-free.

I am a "fast responder" to trace gluten and I use all their gluten-free products.

They take it very seriously.

I would not suggest it if were at all concerned, I promise!. :)

OMG I THINK I MAY CRY!!!! lololol We don't eat junk food a lot BUT holidays sometimes you just really want what you use to have you know? Especially the holiday hersheys kisses omg!! You've made me soooo happy right now! Thank you !lol So these are actually the brand name products they just happened to be produced in that facility free of gluten? I know with kisses it was usually cross contamination that was the issue and not ingredients.

SO HAPPY!! EEEEEE!!! :D

:lol:

well, glad I could help?!....enjoy!

I gave the site info for the pepitas and you found the "other stuff"

You realize of course, that the Hershey kisses, etc...still come from Hershey's right? ... which are gluten-free and sold in stores?

Right, K!

wendy, you need to shop in the gluten-free section only.

They do have gluten-free black licorice jelly beans....I am eating some right now. :D and my teeth are black...cool.

Right, K!

wendy, you need to shop in the gluten-free section only.

hey do have gluten-free black licorice jelly beans....I am eating some right now. :D and my teeth are black...cool.

Luving the black teeth, Irish. OP, you can toast squash seeds too (like those from butternut squash). They're equally good. If you have a latino grocery store nearby, they've been a good cheap sources for seeds for me.

Oh I know I was just looking at the gluten free stuff. That being said I just feel more peace of mind buying it from a place that tests like that than actually buying it from the stores.

I used to toast the pumpkin seeds from the jack-o-lanterns as a kid. You couldn't really buy them at that time. Now, if I want them, I will buy them. We still take the Jack-o_lantern seeds and save them. We dry them on a low heat in the oven, then save them for a really cold day and put them out for the squirrels and Jays.

Might have to get the jelly beans.

mmphh... mmphh....sorry, mouth full, yes!

they are really good.

My hubs loves the jelly beans too! He especially loves the licorice (black) ones. I can smell him eating them 2 rooms away!laugh.gif

I so love you, girl! :)

eeyup, poop can be found on anything; bird, rodent, chipmunk, mice, ....we can't be squeamish about such things, or we would never eat farm produce.

Oh crap (pun intended)... Do I need to make a new profile..."SqueamishLisa"? Imagery, peeps...

Oh crap (pun intended)... Do I need to make a new profile..."SqueamishLisa"? Imagery, peeps...

sorry, babes...I tells it like it is.

here, have some jelly beans....poop free!

But seriously, the pumpkin seeds are fresh and delicious from nuts.com

I ordered yesterday and the nice UPS guy brought it today!

I'm rather like you justlisa --- imagery --- my imagination is rampant.tongue.gif

sorry, babes...I tells it like it is.

here, have some jelly beans....poop free!

But seriously, the pumpkin seeds are fresh and delicious from nuts.com

I ordered yesterday and the nice UPS guy brought it today!

Ok... So my next post is going to have to be for suggestions for a food safe poop wash... All your fault...well..and Adelaide.

Squirming, this could set me back... ;)

You guys are making me hungry! Minus the poop talk that is :blink::lol:

So question: The hershey's kisses still come from hershey but they are gluten free? confused by that because i know some people here on the board had reactions to them. Especially the holiday ones as they tend to get produced on the same lines as gluten containing ones and the website mentioned the holiday ones?

The candies that have a G F certification from Nuts.com have not posed a problem for me, personally, for what that is worth. They explain their certification on the website.

I guess maybe some get cross contaminated and some don't. They test their batches so they know theirs aren't so i will still give it a try especially since you said you react to trace amounts even.