This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"wheat Belly" By Dr. William Davis

NoDayButToday

NoDayButToday Newbie

I recently read this book, and I'm wondering if others here have read it. Dr. Davis makes the case that no one should eat gluten, as it (specifically wheat) has been modified so much that it's not fit for consumption. It's totally believable, and worth checking out.

Any thoughts from those who've read it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stephaniesherie Newbie

I recently read this book, and I'm wondering if others here have read it. Dr. Davis makes the case that no one should eat gluten, as it (specifically wheat) has been modified so much that it's not fit for consumption. It's totally believable, and worth checking out.

I have it on my kindle - need to finish reading it! Thanks for the reminder.

But I do agree gluten is not good for anyone!!

ciamarie Rookie

I've read it, and I also visit his blog quite often, he has some interesting articles. One thing I'm not completely sold on is the need to follow a low-carb diet. Also if you're interested, there have been several threads about this on the forum recently, I used the 'Search Forum via Google' box up on top of the page. Here's a sample:

NoDayButToday Newbie

Thanks, ciamarie, I'll check them out! And I like the blog, too :). Yeah, maybe the low-carb is just for big weight loss? Hmmmmm.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I read the book and it sure made lots of sense. Wheat consumption has increased in our diets, and with it came obesity, Arthritis, thyroid diseases, high blood pressure, and diabetes along with a host of other illnesses.

I don't think wheat is really good for anyone? Even those around me who aren't DXed as Celiac seem to suffer an awful lot of symptoms?

The book was written by a Dr. that has diabetes and started looking into wheat because the glycemic index is based off blood glucose reaction time from wheat as I understand it? It's because of the diabetes that the author recommends a low carb diet.

I wish I could make everyone in my family read it!

nvsmom Community Regular

GREAT book!

kenlove Rising Star

I bought 4 for my kids and 6 for friends. This explains so much and offers some science to back it up. The most important health book in a long time..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
NightOwl Newbie

I read this thread about a week ago and did a search on Youtube and found several videos with Dr. Davis, what he said really supported what I'd read quite a few years ago about wheat being hybridized/genetically modified.

I once saw a video about allergies where a Chinese doctor suggested that we do not eat the same foods every day, his opinion was that that depleted our enzymes and made it harder for us to digest those foods over time, and it made sense to me. And when we think about the American diet revolving around wheat (i.e., pancakes, cereal (at least 90% contain wheat...), toast/bagels for breakfast; sandwiches for lunch; pasta or pizza for dinner, or biscuits/rolls as a side, then desert that could be cake, pie, cookies; crackers/pretzels for snacks, etc.). We all know that one can't go to a supermarket without seeing wheat products, or others with wheat or its byproducts as an ingredient, in every isle, so people's diets revolving around wheat has got to be bad even if wheat were "normal".

I have forwarded the links to Dr. Davis' videos entitled

(Parts 1 & 2) to all my e-mail contacts and also posted them on my FB wall because I think EVERYONE should be aware of this and even if they're apparently healthy they should at least limit their consumption of this "Frankenwheat" in order to hopefully avoid problems in the future, so I hope others here will want to do the same.
cavernio Enthusiast

I have not read the book. I have heard about the change in wheat from now and what it was. I don't think there's nearly enough evidence to indicate that wheat has caused all of these problems.

This discussion reminds me of an interview I heard on CBC radio a few years back. It was about eating healthy and properly. The guest, a doctor of some sort, was talking about how people from India who moved to Canada got all sorts of health problems that the general canadian population has, whose rates are different from in India apparently. That's fine. He then jumped from that statement to say that it is because of the food they eat in Canada. That's not fine. The interviewer even questioned him about it, asked something like 'So we're sure it's the dietary difference from living in India to living in Canada?', and he adamantly said yes, without further explanation. He didn't even say they looked to see how much these people's diets changed, just assumed they did! Not a thing about other environmental factors either. It was just so disappointing to hear because this guy was SO CERTAIN that diet was the only thing that changed in these people's lives.

I'm much more concerned about the fact that we're finding that once safe materials and chemicals are turning out to be endocrine disruptors. Because I have read about proper scientific studies about it, done in labs that have controls over these things.

I am open to the idea that wheat is this terrible thing for everyone, but it certainly seems like there's a lot of hype regarding it without a whole lot of science to back it up. A bunch of speculation and theory and from what I can tell, not even much correlational research.

Archived