Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

My 22 month old baby had a scope on Friday due to failure to thrive. He really tiny, pale skin and dark circles under his eyes. He is off the growth chart and nothing we do puts weight on him. He's my third boy and the others were all big fatties!!

After the gastro pediatrician did the scope she said it didn't look like he had coeliacs, but she took biopsies.

Is it always visible to the doctors eye during scope?

How long would it take for him to start gaining weight once put on a gluten free diet if it was coeliacs??

Hoping for any advise or info while we wait these awful two weeks for biopsy results!!

Cheers Kel :)

Unless my understanding is incorrect (and I'm sure other folks will correct me if I AM incorrect), the only way to diagnose celiac with a scope is through biopsy--and NOT from viewing the small intestine with the naked eye. I sure hope that enough samples were taken, though; otherwise, the gastro's diagnosis will be self-fulfilling.

I hope that if the endoscopy comes out negative (which doesn't mean much, in my opinion), you'll still try the gluten-free diet with your little one. It sure sounds like the culprit...and is worth the try.

In severe cases, damage may be visible with a scope, but it does take examination of the villi to say for sure. When the GI did my scope, damage was very visible. My daughters looked perfect though, yet her biopsy was positive for celiacs. In children especially, diagnosing celiac disease can be tricky. Regardless of the biopsy results, give the diet a strict try. You will likely see positive results!

Thanks so much for the replies! He has been on a strict gluten free diet for two days now and I'm really hoping to see results. Very happy with the ranges of gluten free products in the supermarket, makes life easier!

When my son was scoped, the doctor wasn't willing to say yes or no, but he did indicate that he saw some lines(?) that are common in celiac patients... but that we had to wait until the samples were examined, etc. etc.

Regarding weight gain, my son started gaining weight within a few weeks after we switched him to gluten-free. In the first 6 months gluten-free he gained 5 pounds and 2 inches.

I hope your son does well with the gluten-free diet and starts to grow! Good luck! It's hard not knowing what is wrong.