mopsiecat

Brita Filters?

Rate this topic

Has anyone ever had a reaction to filtered water. It seems crazy, but I'm searching high and low for what is making me sick. We drink water from a Brita filter and I found on an internet search that activated charcoal can be made from any organic matter. Though it is mostly made from coconut, would it be possible for the filter to be contaminated with wheat? Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Hi mopsie,

I've been using Brita filters for quite a few years without problems. Good luck figuring out what's bothering you! (We're all different, to confound things. Maybe it is the filter in your case.)

If you want to test it, discontinue using filtered water for a week. Drink tap water or bottled water and see if you feel a difference.

Wish you the best...

M

Someone or two on here have said they have a problem with some water filters because they have a problem with coconut. Trying to remember who

I remember that too Kareng....it was the coconut fiber used for the filters. Though how you would know...I don't know.

I have had problems with the charcoal filters, likely the coconut though it could be other stuff I am sensitive to. I am very salicylate sensitive as well as celiac. Hope you don't have that problem. I agree in any case, try spring water for a while and then go back on the filtered water and see if there is a difference.

*raising hand*. I posted quite a while ago about my discovery that most water filters used coconut hulls as part of the filtering system. I had been visiting family out of town and drinking Brita filtered water. I was so nauseous I had to lay down. At the time I didn't make the connection.

Returning home and back to my spring water, the symptoms resolved quickly. I brought it up here-- thinking that gluten was possibly involved. Another member checked with her water purification service and they told her that no, there was no wheat in the charcoal but they used coconut hulls!

I already knew I was intolerant to coconut, but never connected it to filtered water. Luckily coconut is easy to avoid:)