Anomalous1

Has Anyone Else Experienced Problems With Acne On The Gluten-Free Diet?

Rate this topic

I've been on a very strict gluten-free diet for six months now. I know i am doing well on the diet because my antitissue transglutaminase dropped into the normal range after only 3 months on the diet. My doctor said she could tell I was doing a great job completely avoiding gluten and to keep it up.

About a month on the diet, I started developing acne and it has gotten progressively worse since then. I have never had problems with acne my whole life - I just turned 30 and this is the first time this is happening. I can't help but think it's somehow related to the new diet and the changes my body is going through - otherwise, this is just a very striking coincidence. However, I'm reading that most people if anything notice an improvement with acne on the diet. Very strange that I'm having the opposite problem.

If anyone has any insight on this or similar experiences, please let me know. Thanks!

I hope it is just getting worse before it gets better. When one uses natural means to get better, this is often the case. Any reaction is a good reaction in my life. I hope the acne will go away for you. Maybe someone will suggest how to cope in the meanwhile.

My version on this is the raise of all hormones (starting to work in a full strenght :) ). Should be allright.

About a month on the diet, I started developing acne and it has gotten progressively worse since then. I have never had problems with acne my whole life - I just turned 30 and this is the first time this is happening. I can't help but think it's somehow related to the new diet and the changes my body is going through - otherwise, this is just a very striking coincidence. However, I'm reading that most people if anything notice an improvement with acne on the diet. Very strange that I'm having the opposite problem.

I am SO glad to hear I'm not the only one. Just this week I was thinking of posting this very same question. I'm 44 and have been gluten free almost a year. I keep getting these HUGE zits on my chin. So bad that my husband even comments like wow, that thing is going to need a name soon! I wash my makeup off every night and only use high quality makeup so it's not like I'm using junk. I just don't get it. I figure it must be diet related somehow. Hopefully it will get better!!!

I had an extreme break out that started on my chin and then started to wrap around my mouth. I went to the dermatologist and was put on a antibiotic prescription. The prescription did nothing execpt make my stomach upset. At least it was proven to be acne. (I started freaking it was impetigo or something I never heard of before.)

ACNE BREAKOUTS (ESPECIALLY AROUND THE MOUTH AND CHIN) CAN BE CAUSED BY A VITAMIN DEFIENCY ~ZINC

Learned about the vitamin defiency here on the forum. Started taking a multivitamin and stopped taking the antibiotic. Acne cleared up within 1 week.

I had the same problem as you guys, but in my case the gluten free diet wasn't to blame. It was milk and milk products. I learned that I have problem with casein, milk protein and I'm casein free for more then 2 years now and my face is clean. I have also watched The Doctors where a dermatologist talked about avoiding milk. The reason is hormones that cows milk have inside. Together with ours hormones is too much for our body to process.

I told this to my son, sister, and two friends. They are now avoiding milk too and their faces no longer have problems with pimples. Try to be casein free for 2-3 weeks, and if you face will clear out, you have your answer.