This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Letter To Other Parents In Classroom?

scstampin

scstampin Rookie

My 3 year old daughter dx in May will be starting preschool next week. Her teacher has been really great, and she wants to send a letter home to all the other parents about Celiac disease. Parents will be very involved in the classroom, and help out during parties, field trips and everyday things. We want them to be aware as well of the precautions they need to take while working in the classroom as well.

Wondering if any of you have a sample letter or anything that you have given to the other parents of the kids in the class?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

This should be a great help:

Open Original Shared Link

Here is an example of a letter that can be used to communicate your child’s need to his/her school:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I was very pleased to find out that my son Jonathan is in your school this year. I wanted to inform you of his special dietary needs.

Jonathan has Celiac Disease. This means he cannot eat ANY foods that have the gluten grains wheat, rye, barley, oats or have any of their derivatives in them. Even trace amounts of gluten from crumbs or contact with gluten foods can make him ill. He will not become immediately ill, such as in a severe allergy, and will not need immediate medical treatment, but any gluten will cause him to have a reaction and over time will damage his intestines and cause more health problems.

His typical reaction will be digestive problems (stomach ache and/or diarrhea); he may be very grumpy. He may also have to go to the restroom suddenly. Please allow him this privilege if he suddenly needs to go. He has never abused this privilege in the past, and I will be happy to meet with you if you feel he is abusing it. We are able to keep his gluten accidents to a minimum, so he shouldn’t have too many times of illness. If it is a bad reaction I will keep him home from school.

Please contact me if there is to be any parties or special in-class meals (ie: pizza party, etc) and I will send a gluten free alternative for him to eat. He is very aware of his dietary needs, but I feel it is important that you are aware of those needs. The one rule that I have taught him is most important is this: When in doubt, go without. Companies change their ingredients on a regular basis and if there should ever be a question regarding a certain food, I ask that he just avoid it until I can confirm whether or not it is gluten-free.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to sharing this year of my child’s education with you.

Minette Contributor

I used that same template for my letter to the school. (She's in elementary, so it went to her teacher as well as the principal and nurse. The principal distributed it to everyone else who needed to know.)

I did rewrite it quite a bit to make it in my own words (just because it felt more natural to me) and to address various Sarah-specific situations. I think it would be good for other parents as well; you'd just have to revise it even more since the teacher is not the intended audience.

Archived