Janetlk

Bloated Stomach Problem

Rate this topic

I have not been tested for Celiac Disease, but I had an awful bout when my stomach bloated to about three or four times its' normal size. I went to the Doctor and was tested for Intestinal Blockage-had surgery for this three years ago, but negative. I have cut out all gluten, soy, and dairy products for the past month. My stomach is now greatly reduced but still bloated. Has anyone else had problems with the stomach bloating? I have no pain, just bloat.

I have, unfortunately. I know what triggers bloating are soda, mentos and fatty foods in general, even if gluten free. Dairy isn't exactly a friend, either, although I still take probiotics in its liquid form (Yakult).

I personally don't mind the bloat a whole lot when it doesn't hurt, because my tummy is (gladly) really flat and everything I eat makes it stick out because my stomach is, well, full, so it needs more space than it normally occupies.

The thing is that if you have Celiac, the small intestines need some time to heal, so even if you are gluten, dairy and soy free, the vili isn't quite fine yet, and it will take some time until your digestive system is actually completely okay. So don't give up yet, and see what else may trigger the bloating.

If it's bothering you, then try to pay attention when you bloat, what you ate before and avoid those foods.

I had the same problem. You should read up on low hydrochloric acid. This is often paired with celiac disease and altered flora. Low stomach acid causes an array of symptoms like bloating, belching, undigested food in stool, inability to assimilate nutrients from food, etc. Once I supplemented with hydrochloric acid, my bloated stomach went away.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Freeform, Betaine HCL can help . It also can help to avoid sugar and carbs. And take probiotics.

If the bloating is bad you can take peppermint tea or Altoids peppermints to help release the gas.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

FAQ Celiac com

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum-7/announcement-3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101

What's For Breakfast Today?

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

What Are You Cooking Tonight?

Dessert thread

Easy yummy bread in minutes

How bad is cheating?

Short temper thread

Non celiac wheat sensitivity article

http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ajg2012236a.html

I second Freeform's HCL suggestion.

Digestive enzymes before a meal and Betaine HCL after the meal help in my family.

I have, unfortunately. I know what triggers bloating are soda, mentos and fatty foods in general, even if gluten free. Dairy isn't exactly a friend, either, although I still take probiotics in its liquid form (Yakult).

I personally don't mind the bloat a whole lot when it doesn't hurt, because my tummy is (gladly) really flat and everything I eat makes it stick out because my stomach is, well, full, so it needs more space than it normally occupies.

The thing is that if you have Celiac, the small intestines need some time to heal, so even if you are gluten, dairy and soy free, the vili isn't quite fine yet, and it will take some time until your digestive system is actually completely okay. So don't give up yet, and see what else may trigger the bloating.

If it's bothering you, then try to pay attention when you bloat, what you ate before and avoid those foods.

Unless they have changed them (and I haven't looked at the ingredients for awhile), Mentos contain wheat.

I have bloating. I also have gastroparesis. Oddly enough when my gastroenterologist had me stop taking the med I was taking for the gastroparesis (prescribed by another Dr.) my bloating went way down. I still do get it once and awhile and I don't always know why. I do have to be careful not to eat too much salad. Lettuce, raw spinach and other leafy vegetables are a real problem for me. So is too much meat.

And my most recent food intolerance test showed that I am intolerant to mint, cloves, thyme, tarragon and lovage. So while people are telling you to take mint, it is possible that mint could in fact cause problems for you.

Unless they have changed them (and I haven't looked at the ingredients for awhile), Mentos contain wheat.

Not the ones I eat, though... Or the ones made here. There are a couple of ingredients, like carnauba wax, which are very uncommon else where. At my school I can´t barely eat anything so I just have to eat mentos or else I will starve;

Not the ones I eat, though... Or the ones made here. There are a couple of ingredients, like carnauba wax, which are very uncommon else where. At my school I can

I checked the Mentos in the store today. They still contain glucose syrup but it no longer says "from wheat". Doesn't give the source though. Their website says it is gluten free. But it doesn't say it is wheat free. So I still don't know. I have seen the claim made about wheat derived glucose syrup that it does test as gluten free. But if it is made of wheat, then it is not wheat free.

I checked the Mentos in the store today. They still contain glucose syrup but it no longer says "from wheat". Doesn't give the source though. Their website says it is gluten free. But it doesn't say it is wheat free. So I still don't know. I have seen the claim made about wheat derived glucose syrup that it does test as gluten free. But if it is made of wheat, then it is not wheat free.

Oh, damn. I checked the package again and yeah. Glucose syrup, although they don't say exactly where it comes from. So I will basically starve around at my school.

Thank God I didn't eat them much (only once a month or so, in cases of emergency) and still have some tolerance for gluten.