This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

H. Pylori Treatment And Tummy Troubles

SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny Apprentice

I tested positive for H. Pylori with my chiro. He gave me supplements but after a while told me to have my pcp check me again. I tested positive and was put on a Prevpac. I've never had ulcer type tummy troubles. The first day I took the Prevpac I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. I've also had a horrible taste in my mouth. Another symptom I seem to be having (tmi warning) is bad gas. :blink: I want to say I was starting to have trouble with it before I started the Prevpac but after being on it it's gotten worse. The weird thing is its after eating vegetables. If I eat fruit and protein nothing. Veggie and protein Watch Out! I'm really surprised my cats haven't tried to burry me. Lol It's that bad :huh: Also before the Prevpac I noticed I started getting gas when I'd eat nuts. Never had a problem with them before. If I drink a protein shake with almond milk I get a little gas. Is this normal? Is this cos my tummy is getting cleaned out and healing? Is there anything I can do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

H. Pylori is a tricky issue.

My poor Dad suffered from it and he was dosed repeatedly with antibiotics. (if I had known back then what I know now? I would have dosed him with PRObiotics after every one)

The Prevpac is the "triple cocktail" for h. pyrlori and it may cause you some side effects.

Open Original Shared Link

SleepyBunny Apprentice

I've been taking probiotics each day. I just hope I got rid of it. Now I have to get my husband to get looked at. :/ He hates going to the dr is always finding an excuse. <_<

burdee Enthusiast

I tested positive for H. Pylori with my chiro. He gave me supplements but after a while told me to have my pcp check me again. I tested positive and was put on a Prevpac. I've never had ulcer type tummy troubles. The first day I took the Prevpac I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. I've also had a horrible taste in my mouth. Another symptom I seem to be having (tmi warning) is bad gas. :blink: I want to say I was starting to have trouble with it before I started the Prevpac but after being on it it's gotten worse. The weird thing is its after eating vegetables. If I eat fruit and protein nothing. Veggie and protein Watch Out! I'm really surprised my cats haven't tried to burry me. Lol It's that bad :huh: Also before the Prevpac I noticed I started getting gas when I'd eat nuts. Never had a problem with them before. If I drink a protein shake with almond milk I get a little gas. Is this normal? Is this cos my tummy is getting cleaned out and healing? Is there anything I can do?

There's an easier way to eliminate H Pylori, without taking those high dose (and big side effets) antibiotics (which kill off your good gut bacteria, while they kill they HP bacteria). I tested positive for HP on a stool test back in 2010. I also had stomach pain when I ate acidic food. So I was certain I had HP. I did not want to take more antibiotics, because I'd endured 4 years of antibiotics and antiparasitic drugs for several (8) other gut infections.

Through some online research I discovered mastic gum, which is an herbal antbiotic used extensively in the Middle East for all kinds of tummy problems, as well as HP. I also read that L-Glutamine can heal stomach (as well as intestinal damage). I told my naturopath that I wanted to try Mastic gum and L-glutamine, instead of mainstream drugs. She recommended a dosing schedule. After a month my symptoms disappeared. A subsequent stool test showed I was free of HP (and any other bad bacteria, parasites or yeasts). That was the last 'gut bug' I had after that 4 year period of multiple infections. Almost 3 years later, I'm still healthy.

IrishHeart Veteran

Through some online research I discovered mastic gum, which is an herbal antbiotic used extensively in the Middle East for all kinds of tummy problems, as well as HP. I also read that L-Glutamine can heal stomach (as well as intestinal damage). I told my naturopath that I wanted to try Mastic gum and L-glutamine, instead of mainstream drugs. She recommended a dosing schedule. After a month my symptoms disappeared.

I have also heard of people using mastic gum for h. pylori (I think G F in DC has mentioned this treatment as well) and I agree!

If anyone can avoid those long term "big guns" antibiotics, perhaps they should. They messed up my gut years ago --and it took heavy dosing of probiotics for me to get the gut flora balanced. Stool testing revealed I had no detectable beneficial bacteria at DX--that's practically impossible. No wonder I was such a mess.

I also have used the L-glutamine for gut repair. Research shows it has some value, so I gave it a try.

GFinDC Veteran

Right, mastic gum works, and also DGL (deglysterinzed licorice). I think the DGL is more effective, but I take them both.

The antibiotics are killing off your gut bacterial flora. So you can't digest foods as well. Probiotics would help I suppose, but they aren't likely to overcome the whole effect of the antibiotics. They are certainly worth trying though.

burdee Enthusiast

If anyone can avoid those long term "big guns" antibiotics, perhaps they should. They messed up my gut years ago --and it took heavy dosing of probiotics for me to get the gut flora balanced. Stool testing revealed I had no detectable beneficial bacteria at DX--that's practically impossible. No wonder I was such a mess.

Me, too! LOL I had a stool test after my first gut bug (Klebsiella) treatment. That test showed no good gut bacteria, but esp. no bifido and no lactobacillus. Because I had symptoms (later linked to hypothyroidism), my ND gave me an 'all purpose' antibiotic herbal, before we received those test results. That made me very vulnerable to more opportunistic gut bugs. No wonder I got 7 more gut bug infections over the next 3 years.

Fortunately I finally found a more knowledgeable ND, who dx'd my hypothyroidism, low stomach acid, low vitamin D levels and low neutrophils (white blood cells), which all made me very vulnerable to infections. (The hypothyroidism and low stomach acid gave me gastrointestinal symptoms which seemed like more gut infections. I wonder whether having those dx'd after that first infection would have spared me 7 more infections. SIGH Oh well, I'm healthy now ...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SleepyBunny Apprentice

My chiro actually had me on Gastro ULC by Apex Energetics. I went through 2 bottles of it and still tested positive for h. Pylori. I'm already done with the Prevpac. I was thinking of asking to go back on the gastro ULC just to help heal everything and hopefully finish off anything the Prevpac didn't. I'm taking probiotics. I probably need a better one though. Now that I'm off the Prevpac the gas problem appears to be going away lol Yay :D

IrishHeart Veteran

I wonder whether having those dx'd after that first infection would have spared me 7 more infections. SIGH Oh well, I'm healthy now ...

Wow. Like me, you had a long, rough road. Sometimes I wonder how I lived through it and sometimes it makes me very angry and sad that doctors and their "treatments" (BOTH mainstream and alternative) left me sicker than I already was (Grrrr :angry: ), but mostly, I just rejoice that I persisted in figuring things out, found a celiac-savvy GI doctor who has helped me with follow- up care and that I'm alive and kicking NOW. :D

Best wishes--and stay well!

IrishHeart Veteran

My chiro actually had me on Gastro ULC by Apex Energetics. I went through 2 bottles of it and still tested positive for h. Pylori. I'm already done with the Prevpac. I was thinking of asking to go back on the gastro ULC just to help heal everything and hopefully finish off anything the Prevpac didn't. I'm taking probiotics. I probably need a better one though. Now that I'm off the Prevpac the gas problem appears to be going away lol Yay :D

Always good to be less gassy! :lol:

No offense to your chiro, and with all due respect, but he is neither a medical doctor nor a naturopathic doctor (and I have my own reservations about NDs from my own experiences) and there may be other things being overlooked.

My chiro has an opinion about "chiros practicing medicine"--he thinks it's dangerous.

Do you think it might be wise to go back to the doctor who prescribed the Prevpac and make sure the infection is eradicated?

Just my opinion. Feel free to disregard.

Hope you're feeling better in no time!

SleepyBunny Apprentice

Always good to be less gassy! :lol:

No offense to your chiro, and with all due respect, but he is neither a medical doctor nor a naturopathic doctor (and I have my own reservations about NDs from my own experiences) and there may be other things being overlooked.

My chiro has an opinion about "chiros practicing medicine"--he thinks it's dangerous.

Do you think it might be wise to go back to the doctor who prescribed the Prevpac and make sure the infection is eradicated?

Just my opinion. Feel free to disregard.

Hope you're feeling better in no time!

I'm trying to balance what the chiro and my regular dr say. I understand what you mean about the chiro practicing medicine. I do trust him because he's done more for me in the past 3-4 months than any dr has in 20 or so years. I do understand that natural meds can't always fix everything and that there are alternatives for different situations. I actually was thinking of getting retested to make sure it's all gone. :)

Can some of you offer me your opinion on adrenals? I've done the gluten-free and df for a year now so pretty much got that taken care of. Pretty sure I am doing good with my hypothyroidism. But recently I found out my b12 and ferritin are low and I've been having blood sugar issues. Waking up with them in the 60's sometimes. I feel better to a point. I feel like I'm so close. Could my adrenals be causing some lingering crappy feelings?I've been taking iron and b12 and that did help with the lingering brain fog. I've been having trouble sleeping. My best sleep seems to come if I nap in the middle of the day. After my Prevpac the chrio wanted me to do a 5 day "fast" of eating a small chicken breast and a cup of vegetables 3 times a day. I've been having hypoglycemic episodes this just doesn't seem right to me. I'm on my second day and I'm already getting emotional from it. :( I hate that my body tells me to get sugar but then punishes me for it. I'm just so tired of going back and forth between the you can have this oh wait never mind that's a problem too. I'm just so frustrated and just want to eat :( Sorry I needed to vent :(

SleepyBunny Apprentice

I also forgot to mention I've been having issues with feeling dizzy or like I'm going to black out when I stand up after sitting or squating or even if I reach for something over my head. And the last time I went to the dr my bp was 94/56. It's never been that low before.

IrishHeart Veteran

My BP was a bizarre 80/50 while I was very ill before DX. A low BP indicates something is amiss.

Just going to say this again, hon, okay?

You are having a bunch of issues and a chiropractor is NOT a medical doctor and you are following his advice and not feeling any better.

Please, ask your primary care doctor to take a look at you?

SleepyBunny Apprentice

Can you help me with what to ask for? :( I don't know what to do anymore.. I just haven't had much luck with dr's when it comes to all of this. If I listened to what they've told me I'd be on speed, antidepressants and laxatives for the rest of my life. I will go as soon as I can get an appointment. I just don't know what kind of things I should have him check. What kinds of tests and which tests are more accurate.

Thank you for your advice. I promise I'm not being stubborn. You just hear so much different advice even on here it's hard to know when to ask for help and from who.

IrishHeart Veteran

Go back and see if the h. Pylori is eradicated, for starters. IMHO

There is a simple test for this and your PCP doc can order it.

I understand what you mean about doctors sometimes letting us down, but as far as this one issue, I am not sure how a chiropractor is the best "medical professional".

And IMHO, your symptoms do seem to be gluten -related but I do not know your medical history and do not know what else is going on.

I wish I could help more. :(

Did you have celiac testing?

GF Lover Rising Star

Just a few thoughts for you. The dizzyness standing ECT, may be symptom of syncope. There are a few different types. There is an easy test for it from your doctor. You mentioned your. Cortisol level. Was your MD Doctor concerned with this. There is an autoimmune disease called Addison's, also can be tested with a blood test.

I agree with IH. I suggest you see your MD, or find a new one if you don't care for him/her. There are still alot if health issues you may have that neither a ND or chiropractor just don't have the knowledge of.

Hoping you get some things resolved. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I agree. For example, I am having wicked vertigo right now.

I am nauseous, dizzy and walking sideways (just like when I was ill from celiac pre-DX)

yes, I was glutened 2 weeks ago--- but this is not why I feel this way right now. My PT told me Thursday ---it is called "postural vertigo " and requires treatment by an ENT doc, who does a specific maneuver to make it stop , so I will see one this week.

Do I like having to go to yet another doctor? Nope. :(

We cannot rely on various "pseudo medical personnel" to treat us.

I did that route and it cost me two more years.

SleepyBunny Apprentice

I haven't been eating gluten or dairy and for the most part soy either. My regular dr did a blood test but it came back negative. The chiro did a stool test that said I was reactive to gluten. I had a glucose tolerance test maybe 6 months ago and my one hour reading was in the 180's and after 2 hours it was in the 170's. But if I don't eat I feel like crap.I don't even feel hunger to at least warn me. It just hits me. A lot of my readings after eating "healthy food" are in the 80's. A lot of times i dont feel that much better. But if i eat say chicken and potatoes my sugar goes close to 120. I feel great but isn't 120 kinda pushing it?

I just want to make sure to ask the right questions. If they sense you aren't really sure of what you're talking about some of them will use that as a way to tell you you're full of it and push you out the door.

SleepyBunny Apprentice

Just a few thoughts for you. The dizzyness standing ECT, may be symptom of syncope. There are a few different types. There is an easy test for it from your doctor. You mentioned your. Cortisol level. Was your MD Doctor concerned with this. There is an autoimmune disease called Addison's, also can be tested with a blood test.

I agree with IH. I suggest you see your MD, or find a new one if you don't care for him/her. There are still alot if health issues you may have that neither a ND or chiropractor just don't have the knowledge of.

Hoping you get some things resolved. :)

Actually last lear I fainted in an elevator at work. Then again after they moved me to a chair. :( They said I was dehydrated and gave me fluids. I don't think I was dehydrated but I could be wrong.

I had my cortisol checked by my md years ago and you guesed it normal. The took a blood test in the morning and that was it. The chiropractor did a saliva test and it said I have low morning cortisol and kinda goes a little bit higher that normal mid afternoon then tapers off. I am not a morning person. I stay up pretty late and sleep all day. I've looked up adrenal problem symptoms and I seem to have a lot of them:

excessive fatigue and exhaustion

non-refreshing sleep (you get sufficient hours of sleep, but wake fatigued)

overwhelmed by or unable to cope with stressors

feeling rundown or overwhelmed

craving salty and sweet foods (yes!!!!)

you feel most energetic in the evening

a feeling of not being restored after a full night's sleep or having sleep disturbances

low stamina, slow to recover from exercise

slow to recover from injury, illness or stress

difficulty concentrating, brain fog

poor digestion

consistent low blood pressure (last drs visit was first official low reading)

extreme sensitivity to cold (has gotten better after Armour, iron &b12)

I asked the dr that actually suggested celiac to me about adrenals. He said something along the lines of that's one of those things (I guess alternative medicine) goes overboard with. :blink: But then a lot of things he suggested were natural :blink:

Should I show the dr I'm seeing now the cortisol results I did through saliva and ask for the Addison's test?

GF Lover Rising Star

My husband has Addison's and as of yet there is no quick saliva tests that can measure cortisol levels through the day. That would be a Godsend to addisonians around the world. These are the facts as I understand them.

This autoimmune disease can also only be dx' thru blood test. The adrenals can be in different stages of distress.

I would also still ask to look further into the dizzyness spells. There are a few types, one is dehydration. IMO. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I had many clinical signs of adrenal fatigue/failure (like the ones you listed, bunny) but failed Standard testing. Saliva testing is not necessarily reliable. It was the celiac causing all those bizarre symptoms you listed--like my failure to sweat in a sauna, yet needing a sweat suit in 75 degree weather because I was cold, LOW BP (80/51) and Low body temp (96.5). I had erratic heartbeat, insomnia, agitation, feeling overwhelmed, etc...everyone of them you have listed---and they are all resolved off gluten. but it took many months.

However, it should be noted that Addison's is often related to celiac.

Archived