123glldd

Ceramics/plaster

Rate this topic

The past 4 years or so I've gone with my husband and in laws Halloween camping. At this campground they have all kinds of activities including ceramic painting. Many times they had christmas ceramics amongst other things and the first year I painted a camel. I was talking to a friend of mine and she was saying when you fire ceramics the gluten would be destroyed anyhow..however...since these were not fired and it's like those white "ceramics" from walmart that you can paint she thinks they are actually plaster...I'm really upset....should i just throw these out now? Can i never paint these things again? :( I'm really bummed right now!

I do a lot of artsy stuff. Just bring a pair of gloves with you to wear while painting. After the paint is on and dry then no worries IMHO.

Mom used to do ceramics and even had her own kiln. That white ceramic with no gloss that you can paint on (they use what they call stains) actually IS fired. They fire it without paint so you can use the stains on it. Plaster isn't as hard as the ceramic material. If you can scrape some off with the back of your fingernail it is plaster. If not, it is ceramic and should be perfectly safe.