This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Job Related Question

Richterface

Richterface Newbie

I am still pretty new to my Celiac condition and I was wondering If my job is or could possibly effect my health negatively. I have been working for a number of fast food pizza chains as an assistant manager (Dominos for 2 years. Donatos - columbus ohio local).

As a manger it was my responsibility to oversee (wheat) dough rolling. I would roll dough in corn mill and stretch it to company regulation. I would handle the majority of the pizzas from start to finish. We were not required to wear gloves as it was impossible for someone to wear gloves and achieve the speed necessary for the position as well as accuracy.

I had recently decided to quit in order to find a job closer to where I live. Since I have management experience in pizza the only employer around that would hire me was Donatos pizza.

Currently I spend my time in a facility that produces a number of sandwiches on white and wheat buns (we are required to wear gloves at this station as we are dealing with raw product. However I am still required to touch dough, load them into a special proofer, and finally top the pizzas. There is no loose cornmill or wheat flour in our kitchen. However I have noticed that some employees touch freezer/walk in refrigerators after they have touched wheat containing products.

I am hoping to receive some information regarding sensitivity. Am I allowed to touch wheat, or work around it daily. Also my fiance is not gluten free and she eats her fill of wheat containing products. Should I ask her to consider becoming gluten free as well? Am I in danger of sickness or poor health due to the both of us working closely with pizza and bringing some of the wheat proteins home with us on our clothes?

It may seem a little dramatic but I feel overrun by "Wheat particles." Some clarification would be nice.

As always thank you for your feedback! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kathy59 Rookie

I would not work with any kind of dough! You could be inhaling flour; yes, touching items those have touched can cause cc. I don't even go down the bread isle or flour isle in grocery store unless I absolutely have too!

GFinDC Veteran

HI,

Inhaling flour is a possible problem. Flour is a fine dust and gets airborne and doesn't settle right a way. A dust mask might help. If you inhale flour it's in your sinuses and then your throat and then the gut. The problem with touching wheat or other gluten is if you then get it in your mouth. That can happen accidentally by rubbing your face or hair with your hands. If you eat without washing your hands you might get cc'd also. People with DH may need to be more cautious about skin contact though. Your fiance will need to brush her teeth before kissing you if she has been eating gluten.

Richterface Newbie

Great! Thank you all for your advice. I am currently looking for another job, on the other hand I don't flour is a problem because we do not use loose flour as a base for anything. Our thin crust pizzas come pre-covered in corn mill. My biggest issue would be touching the faucet or door handles and then touching my face or mouth. I will continue to wear gloves whenever I am working with or around the product.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Great! Thank you all for your advice. I am currently looking for another job, on the other hand I don't flour is a problem because we do not use loose flour as a base for anything. Our thin crust pizzas come pre-covered in corn mill. My biggest issue would be touching the faucet or door handles and then touching my face or mouth. I will continue to wear gloves whenever I am working with or around the product.

If there is no airborne flour you may be okay. Do wear your gloves or use tongs when handling food or packaging and wash your hands often and as soon as you get home.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I would add, have a place to drop your clothing when you get home and then shower. Im guessing you're a go home and shower guy, which is pretty typical of someone who works in a kitchen.

I found that the hardest habit to break was keeping my hands OUT of my mouth. Eating, piece of food stuck, whatever. As long as you are aware of that, it won't matter if it's on your hands, as long as you wash your hands before you touch your face or stick your hands in your mouth.

zero Newbie

I would probably also periodically get a blood test to see if my body is reacting to gluten. As I understand it, the flour in pizza has a higher gluten content.

I have fond memories of eating the Donatos Founder's Favorite at the High Street restaurant some 25 years ago.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived