This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Things I Have Found Out

nobeer4me

nobeer4me Apprentice

Havn't posted for a while. Its been a busy summer.

For a recap: I tested positive for Ciliac disease in just one area in a blood test 6 mos. ago. I have been gluten free since then, barring a few mistakes.

My symptoms were horrible sore and receeding gums which I had to control using

prescribed steroid rinces ect. Which weren't working that well in the end.

I just had a checkup from my original doctor who noticed a big positive change in my condition. I told him about the diet, and that I was only using the medication sparingley. He suggested I stay on the gluten-free diet since its working, which of course I will.

What I have found out is, its a slow healing process. Stick with the diet and be patient.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

It is good to hear your healing!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
What I have found out is, its a slow healing process. Stick with the diet and be patient.
That is very true :) I'm glad that you're noticing improvements on the diet.
Felidae Enthusiast

Are the receding gums a part of celiac disease? I have just been told that I need a gum graft for my receding gums. I wonder if there is a celiac disease connection?

mommida Enthusiast

My sister, who will not get tested for celiac disease, has all ready had a dental bone graft and gum grafting at 30 some years of age. If malabsorbtion of nutrients is a cause, then there is an obvious connection.

Laura

nettiebeads Apprentice
Are the receding gums a part of celiac disease?  I have just been told that I need a gum graft for my receding gums.  I wonder if there is a celiac disease connection?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I read somewhere that there is a connection. My teeth shifted some after developing celiac disease. All those high school years in braces and now not much to show for it! :angry:

nobeer4me Apprentice
Are the receding gums a part of celiac disease?  I have just been told that I need a gum graft for my receding gums.  I wonder if there is a celiac disease connection?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I believe it is. I have oral Lichen Planus, which I believe was brought on by Ciliac disease. I had a gum graft on one side before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. It seemed the graft went well at first. But then the graft site and donor site seemed to be attacked by the LP disease. After being on the Gluten free diet. Things are way better. I wish I would have discovered to gluten-free diet before having the skin grafts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I'm really not looking forward to the gumk graft. If only I had gone gluten-free earlier. But that's only if there is a connection.

shimma Apprentice

I have receding gums too! I never thought of there being a connection to celiac disease. My sister had a graft but I haven't had to do it yet. Hopefully it will never get to that point....

Rose519 Newbie

Thanks for the information about the gum graft. I had one years ago, was threatened with one on the other side. The one that was done is receding and probably needs to be done again. I am newly "diagnosed" and so this information will be helpful if the new dentist brings this up again.

Lisa Mentor

If you use alot of antacids...this too will receed your gums.

Things like Prilosec, Zantac, and Pepsid will. I would recommend to use them just when you need them and not overuse.

Lisa B.

Felidae Enthusiast

I've never used an antacid. No one in my family has receding gums and I have had a dental plan my whole life. So the gluten connection I find very interesting.

Archived