luvrdeo

Weight Gain?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago today - before I was diagnosed, a colonoscopy revealed I had lymphocytic colitis, so I was put on budesonide for a few weeks. Long story short, it made me feel like I was gaining weight. So two weeks ago gluten was bid farewell to, I dropped a few pounds immediately, felt slim and trim...in the last few days I've put back on the weight I had lost and am feeling huge. I stopped taking the steroids, and was hoping that would get me back to where I was and had always been weight-wise...but instead, I'm gaining. Is this normal? I realize my body is probably a complete wreck now, but I sure feel crappy about myself. I haven't splurged on any gluten-free pastas, breads, or junk food and I eat a pretty healthy diet. I'm also far from lazy!

Can I ask exactly how much weight you're talking about? 'A few pounds' isn't something I would be too concerned about in the short term, your body is healing. There's going to be some changes.

Can I ask exactly how much weight you're talking about? 'A few pounds' isn't something I would be too concerned about in the short term, your body is healing. There's going to be some changes.

5 lbs in a matter of days - I know it's not a lot, but when all my jeans are too tight, it's a scary thing to deal with! I've struggled big time to get my last 10 lbs off, so this was a tough one to deal with. I know I need to heal and there will probably be some fluctuations, I just hope I can get to where I need to be now that I know what the underlying health issue is.

Tell me something else. Aside from the scare you received with this 5 pounds, do you feel physically healthier? Do you feel any better yet at all?

Also, can I ask if you are female, and if so, where you are at with your cycle?

Steroids seem to suck fat onto you. I remember gaining a few pounds and getting a round face, after a few months on prednisone. If I remember correctly, the weight didn't fall off after stopping the steroids either. It was fat and I had to lose it by cutting calories or increasing caloric demand with exercise.

You might just need a bit more time for your body to relax. I lost a couple lbs gluten-free very quickly. It then stalled a few weeks and then more weight fell off. Maybe that will happen with you too. :)

Good luck.

I have yet to feel better - I'm tired all the time, still have stomach aches, and overall...don't feel much healthier. I'm not sure if I'm lacking on vitamins or what my deal is. I am female, and am on the depo shot so I don't have a period.

As for the steroids...they definitely helped contribute to the weight gain, and it hasn't gone away since I stopped taking them! I know I need to get back to the gym, I just haven't had the energy. I eat a very healthy, strict diet - I always have, but I need some intense workouts and I know this. I keep telling myself to be patient, that it might take a great deal of time after going 10+ years of being sick with this.

Thanks for the positive words, what a tough thing to go through!