regmama

Ener-G Products And Costco

Rate this topic

Does this seem like a good deal from Costco for gluten-free baking flours? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11671773&search=gluten+free&Mo=19&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=gluten+free&Ntt=gluten+free&No=9&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

They also have other Ener-G products grouped together that seem like good deals, but I'm new to all this so I'm not sure, need advice of you experts.

I've never used their flours but I can tell you that their bread is inedible. Texture like sawdust and the NASTIEST foul taste! I bought some when I first started and after two bites I threw the loaf away. I thought I would be stuck with that horrible stuff or no bread at all and it broke my heart. Believe me, no bread at all would be better than that!

If you want to buy gluten-free bread, try Udi's multi-grain, Rudi's, Canyon Bakehouse 7-grain (my favorite), or Kinnikinick. Those are all good. Udi's has the taste and texture of french bread. Kinnickinick is more like regular white bread. Canyon Bakehouse 7-grain is a lot like those mult-grain breads in the grocery store that have those little nutty bits in them. And although I haven't tried Rudi's yet, everyone here says it's really good.

Oh gawd, I first tried Ener-G bread after my son was born when looking for dairy and soy free bread.

When I saw that in the gluten-free aisle I freaked and I swear I had labor pains!!! That stuff is frightening.

Though some say they do have a few good ones...I've yet to taste test it again though.

Ok if you have to be gluten free, dairy free, and egg free you can find a way to grill it. Grilling adds some flavor and texture to it.

It's the only bread the kids like grilled cheese sandwiches with.

i personally don't like any gluten free breads, because i never really liked bread before going gluten free.

I agree with the bread comments - but don't know of any problems with their flours.

My two cents says don't buy this combo pack unless you already have need for all the items in it -- the bargain is greatly diminished if several of the items go unused. When we were newly gluten free I bought oodles of different flours for each recipe I found. Within months I switched to using mostly regular recipes and just substituting a good all purpose gluten-free flour mix. We ended up tossing a lot of extra gluten-free flour products we had tried just once.

Does this seem like a good deal from Costco for gluten-free baking flours? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11671773&search=gluten+free&Mo=19&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=gluten+free&Ntt=gluten+free&No=9&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

They also have other Ener-G products grouped together that seem like good deals, but I'm new to all this so I'm not sure, need advice of you experts.

If you know you like all the Ener-g products and you bake a lot than it saves you a few bucks. BUT you can buy all the individual flours for between $2-$3 a lb and some mixes for about $4 a box.

I personally hate Ener-g products and only buy Udi's and King Arthur products and mixes and I also buy individual flours from my local health food store.

I was ordering flours on-line and mixing up my gluten-free flour mix and adding xanthan gum. It can work great until you have a hard time locating that third flour needed for your mix.

Sometimes a big bag of gluten-free flour mix with added gums can be more cost effective.

If you are just gluten free, consider how lucky you are!

We had to do an all top 8, gluten free, and pea free diet for approximately 2 years.

Energy products were a major help during that time. You learn to manage with what you can eat and my family actually prefers Energy bread for some reason. (the bread is gluten-free, and egg free and that is what we need it to be)

The chocolate chips are fantastic!

Ooooh, I could have some fun with that ! :)

While the Ener-G finished bake bread products are indestructable, the boxes of baking ingredients themselves are not processed with oats, so I can use them. And for some reason I'm not sure of, they just don't carry much of that around here in the health food/specialty stores. $2.49 a box is half the price that would be in the store, not counting the gasoline for the 50 mile round trip if I could find it. For microwave and quick bread type baking, for an ingredient to add to your nut meals or heavier flours, such as buckwheat, that's a good deal.

Someday in the far future, an archaeologist is going to find a stash of Ener-G breads, and they'll not be sure what it is until they do a chemical analysis. Then they'll still wonder what it was used for, and why were the bricks sliced like that. :P

Nope, an archeaologists will not find any of those loaves around. They have the tendencies to grow mold from the inside when they have not been properly sealed.

YUCK!