• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have suffered from a racing pulse after eating for many years now. My husband thinks I think too much about what is going on inside. I am wondering if anyone else suffers from this too. I have asked my dr and my allergist and they both say it has nothing to do with food (so I guess it is only in my head?).

I wouldn't say it's in your head..... if it really bothers you don't ignore it.. I have issues with heart palpatations some times, and racing heart rates. Mine have always been linked to my hyperthyroidism, which I believe is probably accurate. SO I don't know if it's from food or not, but my husband thought the same thing, until i went to the hospital one time from it, and he could see it on the monitor. Mine was actually skipping beats though.

okay, i've been gluten-free for 8 weeks and my GI doc wants to do endoscopy. He says it will indicate other reasons for my problems if it isn't celiac disease. My blood test was positive for celiac. I really don't get it. What else will the biopsy possibly show? He says intolerance for other foods besides gluten. Does this ring true?

Thanks,

warpspeed

p.s. gluten-free diet didn't help

I don't know about your Dr, but mine explained that the biopsy would only be tested for celiac. I suppose the only thing that would have been obviously not cleiac, would be if they saw somehting during the procedure that did not correlate to celiac. I got the impression that they would be doing the test for that reason only, not looking for anyting. Not testing for misc causes.

You may be in a different position, but that was what they were going to do for me.

It's possible that you are celiac, and it's just going to take a while to notice changes. For some, it can months even a year to recover. It depends much on the amount of damage, and how long you have had it. Keep that in mind. If you have been gluten-free your biopsy might not show celiac, but that doesn't mean you do not have it. If they don't come up with anything else, you may still want to stick with the diet longer to see any changes. Your biopsy may give you more ideas though. IF they are going to test for other intolerances it may help too.

Hi, this is my first time on this site. I was diagnoised 2 months ago with Celiac Sprue disease. Mine was found with an upper and lower GI. Yes, this is important to have done. My body has been producing tumors and cysts from this disease for years, and no Dr. has picked up on it, until now. My intestines and stomach linings are in very bad shape, as my Villa is flat from years of eating wheat products.

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and am having a very hard time finding any information about the disease. Our Drs here seem to not know much about it, or just blow it off as no big deal. My 31 year old daughter was just tested over her Drs. objections, and her Anti-gliadin ABS IgG levels were very high. But, her Dr. told her not to worry about it, because he didn't really know what that means anyway. She has asthma, skin disorders, and many more systems of CF. I told her to get on the diet immediately.

I still don't understand all the test results, and what they mean to my Celiac. I just had another blood test, and the level was 42, Dr. said he would like to see it at about 20.

I guess I am asking for some friendly advice as to where to turn to find answers, and to actually no what is going on in my body with Celiac Sprue disease.

Thanks for listening

Theresa

Nicole,

I believe that in naturopathic medicine, a racing pulse after eating is viewed as an indication that you ARE sensitive to something you just ate. Unfortunately, many (if not most!) food sensitivities are NOT mediated by IgE and so won't show up with conventional allergy testing. Of course, alternative testing is not standardized and is often operator-dependent, so it's something of a catch-22 situation.

I long for the day when "conventional" medicine is holistically oriented and geared toward recovering/maintaining health, instead of merely covering up symptoms with yet another prescription! <sigh>

I hope you figure out what is causing the problem, so you can treat it effectively!