amcam17

Totally Overwhelmed

Rate this topic

Ok fellow Celiacs,

I haven't posted on here in forever and I was doing amazingly well. Well I was until recently unfortunately. I've been so miserable the past few weeks and I'm really using hope at this point. I went to my GI doctor today and she said I'm following everything well and sometimes it just randomly flares up. I told her that I've been following the gluten free diet very well. She's retesting my celiac counts, calcium, iron and some other items that I can't remember off the top of my head. The next thing she said scared me to death. I'm 21 years old and they are sending me for a dexa scan for osteporis! (Sp) I'm absolutely terrified...

Also, not going into to much detail but once a month right around the time my period starts, I get dh really bad and there's no explanation for it...The doctor said it was normal but the pain I expierenced last night was unbearable. Also, my periods have been early and I'm on birth control for a blood disorder.

I also got a flu shot yesterday and then dh hit a few hours later, so running on not much sleep working like crazy and trying to keep up with going to school online.

I'm scared confused exhausted and everything else...I think I might be going through withdrawal symptoms..ugh! not fun.

Please help!!!!

Scan, no big deal, even if it shows bone loss.... bone constantly remodels and replaces itself as long as the proper nutrients are consumed and can be absorbed.

If you are not already, try taking a gluten free calcium, D, magnesium supplement. Also, a gluten free vitamin B complex.

You may try going to a lower carbohydrate, higher (good) fats and protein diet also, to try to help with the periods, esp. if you have a tendency towards polycystic ovaries.

For your meals, you may want to switch to more of a non traditional breakfast and get away from cereals and see if that makes a difference. Also, if you can bear to choke down some vegetables for breakfast, that helps with energy.

Yeah, what takala says. Keep your diet on check and make sure you have all the nutrients necessary to put your bones back into place, and everything will be rainbow and flowers.

Some of the members with DH say that their DH flares when they get gluten and iodine together. So they follow a low iodine diet when their DH is flaring. It could be you have some gluten in your diet and don;t realize. Check everything again and re-verify anything that you checked before. Ingredients can change.

Also check you shampoo and skin lotions.

I agree. My DH was hormone aggrivated but not caused. Scrutinize your diet and see if something is in it that is glutening you, then try a low iodone diet for a while and see if that whacks down the DH.

Don't be alarmed by the bone scan test, its just a preventative measure so your doctors can watch your bone density. I'm 28 and was diagnosed in May and they are sending me for the same scan in November along with the 6 month blood tests to make sure everything is ok. Just be glad that your doctor is educated and is getting you the right tests!!!

We all have been overwhelmed with this at times and it WILL get better, just stick to your diet and wait for the light at the end of the tunnel. Let us know how you're doing!