Rate this topic

I will be going out to a bar tonight and for the first time since being diagnosed (2.5 months ago) I want to get some drinks at the bar. Only problem is that I know for a fact I have a bad reaction to vodka (except for Titos) and I tried rum and coke at a wedding and had a reaction as well(not sure what kind of rum was used). My question is this, for those of you who have a reaction to alcohol even though it's distilled, have you found a certain alcohol that you CAN drink at a bar? I've heard captain morgan is claimed to be gluten free but I also heard that only clear rums should be trusted? Any input would be greatly appreciated! :D

I have better luck with vodka that isn't gluten based like Tito's or a sugarcane base. I'm ok with rums. Some I will sip over ice - like Ten Cane.

Tequila is good for me, too. I'd get a margarita if it was handmade and not from a mix. Fresh lime, tequila, simple sugar, Cointreau/Grand Marnier. If they have a high quality tequila I'd just get a shot and sip it.

I always prefer gluten-free apple or pear cider if they have it.

If you have a hard time with traditional sodas try a shot of vodka, seltzer, a slice of lemon over ice.

Wine is gluten-free.

Be careful going out the first time. Drink very little. Your tolerance could have changed. Mine did (and figuring it out was ugly).

I go with wine or a clear Bacardi rum and coke but only if the coke (or Pepsi) is out of a can or bottle. I avoid the 'speed bar' drinks that shoot out of a nozzle or anything with a premade mixer. Some bars in my area also have gluten free beer and if they do that is what I will drink. I second the suggestion to be careful as your tolerance may have changed.

i never thought about the sodas that come out of the nozzle! maybe that's what my reaction was to and not the rum. i also wasn't aware that sodas had gluten in them. i don't drink soda (only when i drink) so its never been something on my mind to look out for.

I go with wine or a clear Bacardi rum and coke but only if the coke (or Pepsi) is out of a can or bottle. I avoid the 'speed bar' drinks that shoot out of a nozzle or anything with a premade mixer. Some bars in my area also have gluten free beer and if they do that is what I will drink. I second the suggestion to be careful as your tolerance may have changed.

Rum is going to be gluten-free so I doubt nay reaction there was gluten.

richard

good to know! thank you!!

Rum is going to be gluten-free so I doubt nay reaction there was gluten.

richard

i never thought about the sodas that come out of the nozzle! maybe that's what my reaction was to and not the rum. i also wasn't aware that sodas had gluten in them. i don't drink soda (only when i drink) so its never been something on my mind to look out for.

I don't know of a mainstream soda that has gluten in it. Maybe a boutique soda. Coke and Dr. Pepper are fine, I drink those on occasion. I suggested the seltzer because some people don't or can't have traditional sodas for other reasons.

Very, very few sodas have gluten. I have only come across one in 10 years. My concern with the speed bar is more CC.

A co-worker brought in this new malt flavored Mountain Dew. I assume that has gluten with the malt. I wonder why people's tolerance for alcohol changes (mine did too). I've kind of been wondering if it is affects on the liver.