This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's Only 9:30...and I've Already Run To The Bathroom 3 Times!

luvrdeo

luvrdeo Apprentice

With extreme D!! What on earth is going on! Today marks 3 weeks being gluten-free...I had an awful weekend, literally couldn't get off the couch and was pale as a ghost Saturday. Yesterday my energy levels were non-existent. I'm assuming this is all part of the "welcome" stage of going off gluten? I haven't had 3 runs to the bathroom this fast in a while! Talk about making my life miserable.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom-of-Two Contributor

My guess would be a stomach virus!

Stay hydrated, and rest up!

RonSchon Explorer

I have issues like that when I have an unexpected glutening - or in my case, one of the several other things that now affect me in similar fashions as gluten (dairy, histimines).

Are you gluten intolerant/celiac, or are you gluten free for general health reasons?

Is it possible you unintentionally had gluten or cross contact?

luvrdeo Apprentice

I have issues like that when I have an unexpected glutening - or in my case, one of the several other things that now affect me in similar fashions as gluten (dairy, histimines).

Are you gluten intolerant/celiac, or are you gluten free for general health reasons?

Is it possible you unintentionally had gluten or cross contact?

I am celiac - I've been extremely careful so I'm pretty sure I didn't get cc'd - but who can be 100% sure these days! I stayed home all weekend due to feeling so awful so chances are unlikely. I'm wondering if its more than just gluten that I have an intolerance for...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am celiac - I've been extremely careful so I'm pretty sure I didn't get cc'd - but who can be 100% sure these days! I stayed home all weekend due to feeling so awful so chances are unlikely. I'm wondering if its more than just gluten that I have an intolerance for...

It may not be the case for you but I feel awful for 2 or 3 days before the D hits when I get glutened. For some folks the time frame before D hits can be up to a week. Others will get D the same day.

It can be helpful to keep a food and symptom log for a while to see if you have other intolerances or to establish how long before the D hits your body when glutened.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

With extreme D!! What on earth is going on! Today marks 3 weeks being gluten-free...I had an awful weekend, literally couldn't get off the couch and was pale as a ghost Saturday. Yesterday my energy levels were non-existent. I'm assuming this is all part of the "welcome" stage of going off gluten? I haven't had 3 runs to the bathroom this fast in a while! Talk about making my life miserable.

Keeping a food log may help you sort out a second intolerance? A lot of us have trouble with dairy at first, so it's recommended to omit it for a while.

Watch the effects that soy has on you too. Many multivitamins have soy which can keep you feeling yucky because no matter what you eat, that dose of soy from the vitamin will have you feeling bad.

In the meantime..be sure to stay hydrated.

(((hugs)))

luvrdeo Apprentice

Thank you for all your helpful advice - I will definitely start a food diary again! I had always kept one while working out with my trainer, but had "lost touch" with it once I was forced to quit working out due to fatigue. I'm also working on cutting the dairy out just to be safe - as horrible as I felt all weekend, I'd try anything to feel ok!! =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Another possibility may be dairy or casein. After I went gluten free for a little while I could no longer tolerate dairy. So, I went off for several months and was able to introduce it back into my diet. But it has really bothered me again for about two weeks. :( I've been strictly gluten free for about 1.5 years.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

That's what happens to me when I get accidental gluten contamination. Yesterday it happened multiple times before 9 a.m. I actually did it on purpose this time, checking them item that I had eliminated to be sure that it was bad. I didn't want to believe it. A food journal has been essential to help me figure this all out.

luvrdeo Apprentice

I know I got glutened last Monday - and it hit me instantly, and I was ill for days. But a week later, I didn't expect to still feel bad? I have come to the conclusion my equate gelcaps might be the culprit. I'm also, starting today, cutting out ALL dairy for a while to see if that helps. I have already had another rough morning, following yesterday being not so great...I hope this all brings some relief!

luvrdeo Apprentice

That's what happens to me when I get accidental gluten contamination. Yesterday it happened multiple times before 9 a.m. I actually did it on purpose this time, checking them item that I had eliminated to be sure that it was bad. I didn't want to believe it. A food journal has been essential to help me figure this all out.

What was the item you were testing? My food journal starts today...I have to get my body back on track somehow!

bartfull Rising Star

You know, this is a bit embarrassing :unsure: , but several very wise people here told me I must have a "bug" when I was getting worse, three weeks after being glutened. "Oh no," I said, "my psoriasis is getting worse too so it MUST be from food."

Well, my psoriasis DID flare up, but I think that might have been from the vitamins I was taking. And just today I spoke to a friend who has not been nauseous, but has been gassy and running to the bathroom for the past couple of days. JUST LIKE I WAS. There really is something going around that gives ONLY those symptoms. Another friend came into the shop this morning and told me her husband has it too.

I'm feeling fine now. The psoriasis is healing nicely too. I DID get glutened a few weeks ago, but the symptoms I had at the end of last week were just the "bug". School has started and we all know that when the kids get together after having the summer off, they pass all of their germs around. Being a music teacher, of course I am in constant contact with kids. I gave them lessons and they gave me germs.

I reccommend yogurt. It helped me to feel better after eating. I got Stonyfield farms organic (french vanilla) and there is nothing in it I can't have, PLUS it has six strains of probiotics. It really helped me.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You know, this is a bit embarrassing :unsure: , but several very wise people here told me I must have a "bug" when I was getting worse, three weeks after being glutened. "Oh no," I said, "my psoriasis is getting worse too so it MUST be from food."

Well, my psoriasis DID flare up, but I think that might have been from the vitamins I was taking. And just today I spoke to a friend who has not been nauseous, but has been gassy and running to the bathroom for the past couple of days. JUST LIKE I WAS. There really is something going around that gives ONLY those symptoms. Another friend came into the shop this morning and told me her husband has it too.

I'm feeling fine now. The psoriasis is healing nicely too. I DID get glutened a few weeks ago, but the symptoms I had at the end of last week were just the "bug". School has started and we all know that when the kids get together after having the summer off, they pass all of their germs around. Being a music teacher, of course I am in constant contact with kids. I gave them lessons and they gave me germs.

I reccommend yogurt. It helped me to feel better after eating. I got Stonyfield farms organic (french vanilla) and there is nothing in it I can't have, PLUS it has six strains of probiotics. It really helped me.

Actually, that's good news.

Hey, this is the weirdness that is our life.

Embrace it :).

Glad you're doing better.

GFinDC Veteran

I don't know if you are like me, but when I get glutened it starts with C first for a couple days and then D. So a glutening may be a few days before the D starts.

If you end up looking for additional food intolerances an elimination diet is a good way to go.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Yes the symptoms of glutening CAN and DO last more than a week for many of us.

For me it's more like 3 to 4 weeks and it works from the top down.

Migraine, DH sores, Stomach ache, moody, restless, sick feeling, muscle and joint pain, then the D starts, and swelling of legs. Then it all starts to subside but it takes about a week for the full set of symptoms to even appear after a glutening.

Of course it can also be a "bug". But I hate to say that because I think gluten causes "everything" as my son says. He tells his friends that I think WW2 was a result of Hitler being glutened. haha! :)

Hey...maybe he was! :ph34r:

I know it sure puts me in a bad mood!

New Community Member Explorer

I had similar symptoms when I first started the gluten-free diet and I was EXTREMELY careful about cross-contamination, too. So, I would think that is NORMAL. With that being said, my symptoms after a year ONLY SLIGHTLY decreased. (Be sure to avoid 'natural flavors,' too. I didn't know that it could contain gluten until later on...)

P.S. - I'm thinking about starting a specific carbohydrate diet to see if it helps. There are amazing testimonials, articles, the medical reasoning about the diet on Open Original Shared Link , if you want to check it out. It has seemed to work for thousands of people, why couldn't it help me, too?! It is an intense diet, but they have meal plans and grocery lists that will help a great deal. It seems many people are intolerant to more than just gluten. I didn't mean to write a novel, nor try to sell you on the SCD diet, but if you have the willpower, it is worth a shot. For me, I don't want to still be sick ANOTHER year later, and regret that I didn't do everything I could SOONER. Anyways, just food for thought. :D Take care and the best of luck on your road to recovery.

luvrdeo Apprentice

I had similar symptoms when I first started the gluten-free diet and I was EXTREMELY careful about cross-contamination, too. So, I would think that is NORMAL. With that being said, my symptoms after a year ONLY SLIGHTLY decreased. (Be sure to avoid 'natural flavors,' too. I didn't know that it could contain gluten until later on...)

P.S. - I'm thinking about starting a specific carbohydrate diet to see if it helps. There are amazing testimonials, articles, the medical reasoning about the diet on Open Original Shared Link , if you want to check it out. It has seemed to work for thousands of people, why couldn't it help me, too?! It is an intense diet, but they have meal plans and grocery lists that will help a great deal. It seems many people are intolerant to more than just gluten. I didn't mean to write a novel, nor try to sell you on the SCD diet, but if you have the willpower, it is worth a shot. For me, I don't want to still be sick ANOTHER year later, and regret that I didn't do everything I could SOONER. Anyways, just food for thought. :D Take care and the best of luck on your road to recovery.

I definitely have the willpower - a co-worker once said I could be in the military because I'm so strict when it comes to a food regiment! I've looked into SCD a little, but it does seem intense! I do think I have other allergies other than gluten though, so I'll have to stay in touch with you and see, if you do start it, how it goes! My first few weeks have been extremely rough so far, I too just want to NOT be so dang sick!! And thanks for the advice on "natural flavors"...I've been wondering lately what EXACTLY does that mean?!! Scary.

bartfull Rising Star

"Natural flavor" is almost always carried on CORN, not wheat. Perhaps youhave an intolerance to corn?

New Community Member Explorer

I definitely have the willpower - a co-worker once said I could be in the military because I'm so strict when it comes to a food regiment! I've looked into SCD a little, but it does seem intense! I do think I have other allergies other than gluten though, so I'll have to stay in touch with you and see, if you do start it, how it goes! My first few weeks have been extremely rough so far, I too just want to NOT be so dang sick!! And thanks for the advice on "natural flavors"...I've been wondering lately what EXACTLY does that mean?!! Scary.

That's a good attitude! There's no other way when it comes to getting healthy!

Hopefully by next year, we'll both have this all figured out and feeling better- what a dream! I plan to start the diet tomorrow. I'm committing to it 90 days, so we'll see where it takes me! :) Definitely, keep in touch! You'll have to let us know what's worked for you!

IrishHeart Veteran

And thanks for the advice on "natural flavors"...I've been wondering lately what EXACTLY does that mean?!! Scary.

"Natural flavors" does not necessarily mean "gluten".

If there is WHEAT in a product, it will say so on the package.

please, read this:

Open Original Shared Link

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Oh Bart. Still convinced you had a bug?

Because I think I have it. My son has had gi problems the last two days we assumed was possible Celiac symptoms escalating...and whammo, his are improved and now I'm sick.

If he wouldn't have had it I would have assumed I'd eaten something I shouldn't. Doesn't feel like gluten, feels like Junior Mints.

Ugh.

luvrdeo Apprentice

"Natural flavor" is almost always carried on CORN, not wheat. Perhaps youhave an intolerance to corn?

The corn intolerance has definitely crossed my mind lately...I'm hoping not! =)

luvrdeo Apprentice

"Natural flavors" does not necessarily mean "gluten".

If there is WHEAT in a product, it will say so on the package.

please, read this:

Open Original Shared Link

Great article, thank you for the additional information!

IrishHeart Veteran

Great article, thank you for the additional information!

Hope it helps! She really knows "her stuff" :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I know I got glutened last Monday - and it hit me instantly, and I was ill for days. But a week later, I didn't expect to still feel bad?

I feel for you. I was glutened August 19--and just starting to feel better now.

Hope you feel better soon. And yes, I would dump the dairy for a while to see if it helps. Best wishes!

Archived